Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Record one channel while watching another

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hilaryhake

hilaryhake

• Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

I have a Directv HD DVR model number HR24/200. I am unable to record one channel while watching another. I have a splitter on the coax with one line going into SAT1 and the other going into SAT2. My settings show I am receiving signal on Tuner 1 but no signal on Tuner 2. I have reset the receiver and still no signal. I have switched the cable to make sure they were both good and still no signal on Tuner 2. None of the connections are loose. Directv rep says that it should be working, but it's not. Any ideas? Our dish itself is set up to receive up to 4 signals at a time. Only 2 are being used currently so that shouldn't be an issue. 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

If you have the older , non SWM type, you can not use a splitter in the line. The second line needs to run back to the dish also.

Press the dash button on the remote and post back with what it says on the screen.

Edited by jimmie57, 19 August 2013 - 10:06 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

Once this is properly set up you can record 2 shows while watching one that you previously recorded.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,500 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

Either you need 2 coax back to a switch (not splitter) or back to the dish from the DVR or you should remove the splitter, put the coax on Sat1 and re-do the setup to tell it 2 tuners.

It should have never been installed that way and you should have had 2 tuners from the beginning on the 24.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#5 OFFLINE   hilaryhake

hilaryhake

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

If you have the older , non SWM type, you can not use a splitter in the line. The second line needs to run back tot eh dish also.

Press the dash button on the remote and post back with what it says on the screen.

When I push the dash button it says Receiver: ....434600

Internet: never connected. 

I don't have the internet connected at the moment because the gas company cut our phone line and we are waiting for them to come repair it lol. We just received this particular receiver 2 weeks ago. So it shouldn't be old, but I guess they could have sent an older model? 

#6 OFFLINE   hilaryhake

hilaryhake

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

Either you need 2 coax back to a switch (not splitter) or back to the dish from the DVR or you should remove the splitter, put the coax on Sat1 and re-do the setup to tell it 2 tuners.

It should have never been installed that way and you should have had 2 tuners from the beginning on the 24.

I only put the splitter on because the rep at Directv told me I needed it when I called to ask how to record one show and watch another. She said I needed to split the signal and connect one to SAT1 and one to SAT2. So do I actually need 2 coax cable coming straight from the satellite into the receiver? 

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,939 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:44 PM

SWM in this case refers to equipment at the dish, you don't have it. The HR24 is the newest non Genie DVR. You need two lines coming in to the DVR from the dish, and two B Band Converters, one on each tuner.

What box did this replace?

#8 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

I wonder what osd you would get if you did have a swm system but split the cable like the ts has done. Would you still get the swm connected banner? 

#9 OFFLINE   hilaryhake

hilaryhake

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:17 AM

SWM in this case refers to equipment at the dish, you don't have it. The HR24 is the newest non Genie DVR. You need two lines coming in to the DVR from the dish, and two B Band Converters, one on each tuner.

What box did this replace?

A regular HD Receiver. I don't know the model number. It was sent back to Directv. Thank you for all of you help though! I will get someone out here to hook this up properly. :)

#10 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:24 AM

A regular HD Receiver. I don't know the model number. It was sent back to Directv. Thank you for all of you help though! I will get someone out here to hook this up properly. :)

If you call DirecTV they will probably change out your LNB to a SWM ( single wire multi switch ) model and then each receiver, including the HR24 will only need one coax and no BB converters. With this setup it will operate both tuners in the HR24 using just the one coax.

I recently switched to this method and it works great.

Edited by jimmie57, 20 August 2013 - 06:25 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   hilaryhake

hilaryhake

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:38 AM

Thank you Jimmie57 and everyone else! According to Directv the 1st hundred times I called I had everything I needed lol. 

#12 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,918 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:00 AM

I wonder what osd you would get if you did have a swm system but split the cable like the ts has done. Would you still get the swm connected banner? 

It would not say SWM. That isn't based on having two connections or some type of signal to both tuners, but rather on how the signal is encoded and being sent to the receiver.

#13 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

Thank you Jimmie57 and everyone else! According to Directv the 1st hundred times I called I had everything I needed lol. 

When You Press the (dash) Key on the remote -What if anything is displayed?

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#14 OFFLINE   hilaryhake

hilaryhake

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

I don't have the internet connected at the moment because the gas company cut our phone line and we are waiting for them to come repair it lol. We just received this particular receiver 2 weeks ago.

#15 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

I don't have the internet connected at the moment because the gas company cut our phone line and we are waiting for them to come repair it lol. We just received this particular receiver 2 weeks ago.

That information Show that You in Fact Do not have a SWM System - as you may already know :) It you it it would display Swm Connected also - You need 2 RG6 Cables one for each tuner attached to your HDDVR from the Switch or LNB however D* is on the way!

Edited by WestDC, 20 August 2013 - 09:56 AM.

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#16 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,057 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

Run the coax line to the receiver into a splitter then to both satellite inputs?

Boy ... some of the things CSRs can say at times ...  :nono2:

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

Protected By... spam firewall...And...