Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TIVO: 'Roamio' DVR

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,132 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

TiVo's New Roamio DVR Aims for TV and Online Video Nirvana in One Box

cnet_logo.png

With its just-announced line of Roamio DVRs, TiVo is one big step closer to an all-in-one box for live, recorded, and on-demand TV.

Though I don't know that it's wise to name a product after something that has an indelible relationship to a tragedy, the company's newest DVR goes hard-drive-to-hard-drive with Dish's Hopper with Sling, offering lots of tuners, tons of storage, and options for sending content to other rooms without buying additional DVRs. It also makes it easier to load up your mobile devices (at least, iOS ones for now) with recordings. The Roamio boxes further sweeten the on-demand video pot with a heavy dollop of online video options, including Netflix, Hulu Plus, and YouTube, meaning you can jump to those services -- and search them -- without having to switch the input on your TV.

Unlike the Hopper, the new TiVo won't automatically skip ads, or record every prime-time network show, but at least you can use it with your current cable service.

Of course, all this TV-viewing pleasure comes at a price -- or three prices, to be exact: the $200 baseline Roamio, the $400 Roamio Plus, and the $600 Roamio Pro. And -- as usual with TiVo -- you'll still need to sign up for monthly or lifetime service, $14.99 or $499.99, respectively. (And you'll still have your existing cable bill on top of that, unless you use the over-the-air antenna option available on the entry-level model.)

Still -- from what I've seen so far in our initial testing -- for serious TV junkies, this might be a DVR worth ponying up for.

All new on the inside
Performance is probably one of the biggest issues for a lot of TiVo users. . . . .

SEE VIDEO & READ MORE

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,988 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

There's also more of what made TiVo popular in the first place. The top-of-the-line set can record up to six shows at the same time and, with a full 3 TB of storage space, can hold up to 450 hours of high-definition content. The new devices also can stream content to multiple TVs, as well as to tablets and smartphones.

http://www.cnn.com/2...amio/?hpt=te_t1

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,091 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

For $599.99 plus monthly or lifetime Tivo service of $14.99 or $499.99, it better do everything.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,988 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

it would do better (for sure) one thing: pull money from your packet :D

#5 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,479 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

To put things in perspective, only the entry level model has ATSC tuners. Therefore, it's the only one that can record from an OTA antenna. Iit can handle an external expansion drive like the existing TiVo DVR's (a 1 TB drive listing at $129.95). The big tradeoffs are no iOS capability, no builtin TiVo Stream and two fewer tuners than its more expensive brethren.

The previous TiVo Premiere XL model DVR's are still available through the TiVo Outlet, but don't really compare favorably with the entry level Roamio at this time.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#6 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

To put things in perspective, only the entry level model has ATSC tuners. Therefore, it's the only one that can record from an OTA antenna. Iit can handle an external expansion drive like the existing TiVo DVR's (a 1 TB drive listing at $129.95). The big tradeoffs are no iOS capability, no builtin TiVo Stream and two fewer tuners than its more expensive brethren.

The previous TiVo Premiere XL model DVR's are still available through the TiVo Outlet, but don't really compare favorably with the entry level Roamio at this time.

You can add Stream a la carte to the 4-tuner ATSC Roamio, tho, right? So $329 with Stream + $15/month. If you wanted to "cut the cord" and use an iPad as your second TV, its not totally unreasonable. And if you can spring for it up front, the "break-even" on lifetime is < 3 years.

/steve

#7 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,479 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

Having returned to cable from satellite, I've been using my three existing HD TiVo boxes for more than just OTA. However, they take care of just 3 TV receivers. Living with my oldest son and his family (3 grandsons, age 15,19 and 22), coverage for 3 additional TV's was needed. I broke down and bought a Roamio Plus and two TiVo Minis.The Roamio and Minis are set up in a MoCA (coaxial cable - no Ethernet except for the Roamio itself) network. Being an existing TiVo customer, I could get lifetime subscription for the Roamio for $399, but am for the present making monthly payments. IIRC, lifetime subs for the Minis would be $149 each. I'll eventually get lifetime subs on all three. Having lived with the new boxes for several weeks, I am convinced that a 6 tuner Roamio plus TiVo Minis make the best whole house DVR solution for anyone with cable service. One disadvantage - no pay for view cable channels.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#8 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:51 PM

For $599.99 plus monthly or lifetime Tivo service of $14.99 or $499.99, it better do everything.

Thats owned price. Cable companies will lease them too.

The benifit of Owning these though, is if you change cable or Fiber providers you can reuse them.

Directv HR and Dish Hopper only works with their company.

They also hold their value for resale , alot better then the HRs do.

Former Directv Subscriber May 5th-2012 - November 7th 2014 

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus anolog Bedrrom 5 and 6

#9 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,479 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

Update on my Roamio Plus: I had it set up and running well, using a 4 output 2GHz. splitter --input, Cable service; outputs 1, 2 and 3 - Roamio and Minis. Output 4 went to an 8 channel zero gain amp, which took care of the rest of the TiVo boxes. I was having problems with my TiVo Premiere, getting it to access all channels. I'd had many service calls from TWC, with the techs changing out  CableCards and switched digital adapters, with no luck. Finally, a tech came up with the right combination of CableCard and switched digital adapter, and all seemed well. In the process, he changed my cabling around - cable service to the amp, a 3 output splitter for the Roamio and Minis, with input from the amp. At first, it worked okay, then I started having outages on the Roamio (and Minis) periodically. No problem with the rest of the boxes. I changed configuration back to my 4 output  setup and Voila! no more problems. Rock solid since then. The only problem we've had is with the remote, which is pretty sensitive when it comes to accidental button presses.  :sure:

Charlie
--------------------

Protected By... spam firewall...And...