Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will the 110° W satellite ever be used again by DirecTV in the continental United States?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGilbert, AZ

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

Currently, in the continental United States, there are no channels being broadcasted from the 110° W satellite.  DirecTV-5 at 110° W is currently being used to broadcast channels for the Puerto Rico market. However, DirecTV continues to produce LNBs supporting the 110° W satellite, despite there being no channels on that satellite for the continental United States.

So, does anyone think we will ever see new channels on the 110° W satellite in the continental United States again?  Perhaps DirecTV-15 will be at 110° W and will broadcast new HD channels.  However, I am not sure if the 110° W LNB on existing 5-LNB dishes is capable of picking up MPEG-4 signals.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

Sincerely doubt it;

DIRECTV is only licensed for three 24 MHz Ku band transponders there, and D5 is currently carrying 26 SD channels for PR on them. So there's no more room left for much anything else.

Plus 110 Ku serves a critical role for PR in that guide and other system control information for the island is also transmitted from tp. 28 (tp. 8 after down conversion) since PR subs. cannot receive the 101 satellites very well from their location.

And I also guess starting up a new production line of special LNBFs which excludes 101 and 119 just for PR would cost a lot more than simply using the currently produced SL-5s that are regularly installed here, and just not using the integrated 101 and 119 LNBFs on them much as we (who have SL-5s) no longer use 110.   

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#3 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 996 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

Sincerely doubt it;

DIRECTV is only licensed for three 24 MHz Ku band transponders there, and D5 is currently carrying 26 SD channels for PR on them. So there's no more room left for much anything else.

Plus 110 Ku serves a critical role for PR in that guide and other system control information for the island is also transmitted from tp. 28 (tp. 8 after down conversion) since PR subs. cannot receive the 101 satellites very well from their location.

And I also guess starting up a new production line of special LNBFs which excludes 101 and 119 just for PR would cost a lot more than simply using the currently produced SL-5s that are regularly installed here, and just not using the integrated 101 and 119 LNBFs on them much as we (who have SL-5s) no longer use 110.   

If they have problems receiving signals from 101, how would 110 be any easier? It's further west and lower on the horizon.

#4 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

If they have problems receiving signals from 101, how would 110 be any easier? It's further west and lower on the horizon.

The dishes don't have to be pointed as high.  Florida has more issues with rain fade than other parts of the country since the dish look angle is so high.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

The dishes don't have to be pointed as high.  Florida has more issues with rain fade than other parts of the country since the dish look angle is so high.

Why would the angle matter?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,762 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

indirectly; higher angle just telling you the sat's location and a shorter distance to it

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

I would think the higher the angle, the less opportunity for any kind of fade. Less atmosphere for the signal to go through, fewer chances for storm fronts, etc.  For people in the eastern half of the U.S., 110 is lower, and the signal is going through much more atmosphere, than 101.  I'm on the west coast, and 110 is actually slightly higher in the sky than 101.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

indirectly; higher angle just telling you the sat's location and a shorter distance to it

so less fade?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,082 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

so less fade?

No way, I would say more, since your dish would be acting like a rain catcher while looking more directly through more of the high cloud tops. 

We had a Dish 1000.4 with a 42 Degree elevation and it was by far worse in heavy ran and snow then our Slimline with its 34 degree elevation

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#10 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts

From what I can tell is that unlike the birds at 101, D5's (or Tempo 1) CONUS beam has a lobe which extends out from the U.S. mainland to cover Puerto Rico and near surrounding territories of the northern Caribbean.  

#11 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,082 posts

I agree with this statement!

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

#12 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

You would think that since the 110 isn't used to transmit anything to the Continental US they would modify the software so that satellite definitions that include the 110 (Slimline 5, Phase III, etc.) wouldn't bother checking the signals from it to pass the boot up sequence.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

You would think that since the 110 isn't used to transmit anything to the Continental US they would modify the software so that satellite definitions that include the 110 (Slimline 5, Phase III, etc.) wouldn't bother checking the signals from it to pass the boot up sequence.

and to pass IV.  I have and a few installs where a tree would block the 110.  DirecTV lost a few customers there for no reason.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,762 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:09 PM

so less fade?

statistically speaking, but it would depend on weather (clouds, humidity, wind, etc)

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

statistically speaking, but it would depend on weather (clouds, humidity, wind, etc)

so signal wise, I am better of in FL or Vermont

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,762 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

I would say yes: less distance to sat, water in an air would make difference against your location (again , weather is estimating statistically)

but, not tell me different numbers from the locations for one sat/tpn - to get valid compare, you'll need move your dish and the switch, the cables and a receiver to other location

Edited by P Smith, 21 August 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

Why would the angle matter?

Here is a simple example.  Go outside during a hard rain and look at the house across the street.  You can see it pretty well.  Now look up though the rain to the top of a nearby tree.  Which is easier to see?  Same principle.

• damondlt likes this

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#18 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

I would say yes: less distance to sat,

Really??    When you are 22,000 miles up you honestly think it makes any difference in signal From Vermont VS Florida.  !rolling  

Florida also is a much lower state in elevation then Vermont too, so maybe Vermont is closer! :rolling:

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,762 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

lol as wish, but mother Nature will kick your *** anyway :D

#20 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

Like I said, I really think its just a case of D5 having a lobe on its CONUS beam which extends out SE from the US east coast to cover PR and the nearby surrounding territories of other Caribbean countries.

Whereas the 101 satellites' national beams do not have such an extension of their footprint  

And similar to Florida, since PR and the other areas are that much closer to the equator, 110w is still relatively high in the western horizon and easy for their subscribers' dishes to see even though D5 is further away west than the birds at 101.  

spam firewall