Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Aljazeera America started today

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

3PM EDT the channel kicked off. I'm not a reviewer; but, I've been a news junkie for decades.

I hope they get to HD asap. That's a question for them and D*. But, if you miss what CNN was before being crushed by Time-Warner, if you have experienced BBC World Service on radio or TV, you'll enjoy the access to traditional journalism.

Yeah, and it's fun seeing Joie Chen and Ali Velshi doing what they enjoy.

AJAM - channel 358. Just suggesting you look and make up your own mind about adding it to the mix of what you watch. I don't think any of us need some pundit advising on what's proper for us to watch.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

Hah. Tony Harris, too. Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Edited by Ed Campbell, 20 August 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

Looks like a lot of people that were part of CNN and even some that were part MSNBC/ NBC before Comcast took over that company are on this network.

Live each day to the fullest.

#4 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

Hah. Tony Harris, too. And David Shuster from MSNBC.

Edited by Ed Campbell, 20 August 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   bjamin82

bjamin82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

I guess we will see how Anti American the channel is... I personally think it got a bad rap just because Bin Douche choose to give his tapes to them. They claim they are going to take the BBC approach... I guess we will see.

Interesting article on all Cable news networks... http://news.yahoo.co...-072000487.html

#6 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,699 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

Lets see how many posts it takes for this thread to get closed for being political.  That is what happens to nearly all Al Jazerra threads.

Too many people think that Al Jazerra is the Guillotine Channel.  It has been my primary news channel for over a year now, which is why I can brag that I know even less about Lindsey Lohan that I do about Joey Buttafuco.

Al Jazerra's coverage of events in Egypt was and is sensational, and by that, I do not mean sensationalistic.  They can get camera feeds established faster than the government can shut them down, and they get to interview leaders on all sides of the disputes.  I think that their political bias is better described as anti-Israeli, rather than anti-American.  Over the weekend, they ran an excellent feature on the history of the colonial era, French abuse of Africa, and how France continues to fleece those countries in the post colonial era.  Real PBS quality analysis and reportage.

Unfortunately, they recently hired four former American cable TV reporters who had been let go, presumably for budgetary reasons, which is too bad, because I don't want Aljazerra to become another Americanized cable news channel.  Russia Today recently hired Larry King and gave him his old CNN prime time 9:00 PM slot, and last night his guest was Oprah Winfrey.  I'd hate to think that Al Jazerra is going to go down the same road, but the marketplace will probably dictate that they do so,

Edited by AntAltMike, 20 August 2013 - 05:57 PM.

• sigma1914 likes this

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,827 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

Well, keep up the good work and this thread will get closed. Some posts have already been deleted. I sincerely believe that as adults we can discuss the broadcast content of this channel without this turning into a hatefest but if you all prove me wrong I will have no choice but to take swift action.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

Unfortunately, they recently hired four former American cable TV reporters who had been let go, presumably for budgetary reasons, which is too bad, because I don't want Aljazerra to become another Americanized cable news channel.  Russia Today recently hired Larry King and gave him his old CNN prime time 9:00 PM slot, and last night his guest was Oprah Winfrey.  I'd hate to think that Al Jazerra is going to go down the same road, but the marketplace will probably dictate that they do so,

They may have to compromise, yes, but BBC World Service didn't and I think Al Jazeera has more money behind it than the BBC.

As for the American TV reporters. If the channel sets the tone, most reporters can do a good job. Look at the early days of CNN. They were great. It wasn't the reporters that changed so much as the tone of the station. It comes down to pandering to the common denominator (try to watch HLN on any weekday).

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#9 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

After an hour or so, I like it. It reminds me of CNN back when it first signed on in the early 1980s. It is reporting and analyzing the news. It is not grandstanding, not pushing an agenda, it is news. Also, I emphasize this, the American anchors are well known from various US news channels and networks.

If anyone watched the documentary at 3:00 PM (1:00 PM MT) one got a real feel on what this channel will be like. American anchors, American news bureaus, American centric. With documentaries being produced in the US and some fed from the Al Jazeera English Language Network. If anything, it may be more American centric than those seeking more international news. But, certainly this channel is not pushing Sharia Law or conversion of the US into an Islamic State.

The only thing scary about Al Jazeera America is ignorance and fear that has been the mainstay of the United States since 9/11..

By the way, I wish DirecTV would at least air this channel in letterbox instead of centercut, if it is going to take a while to air this in HDTV; if ever.

#10 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,724 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

Added it to my QuickTune. Which is where I store DirecTV different news channels.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#11 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,826 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

DirecTV's Facebook page is self imploding from people hating this channel. Post not about the network are inundated with people wanting The Blaze instead of this "terrorists" news channel. If they only took 5 minutes to actually watch it...

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#12 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

DirecTV's Facebook page is self imploding from people hating this channel. Post not about the network are inundated with people wanting The Blaze instead of this "terrorists" news channel. If they only took 5 minutes to actually watch it...

They are demonstrating their cut and paste skills.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app
  • sigma1914 likes this
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

Those are very ignorant folks.  they forget that the same network provides a few of the best sport channels 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,699 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

...But, certainly this channel is not pushing Sharia Law or conversion of the US into an Islamic State...

I guess you didn't notice the subliminal cuts...

#15 OFFLINE   larryharry59

larryharry59

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

Should have named it BeIn News instead similar their sports network. Alot of Americans have negative connotations with the name Al Jazeera.

#16 OFFLINE   Bobsacto

Bobsacto

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

I watched about 30 minutes of programming today but, and it is my fault, I have difficulty in watching this type of programming in SD. I have to assume there is an HD feed but maybe QVCHD took the bandwidth. I have watched Aljazeera English when traveling and found it a good news source so I hope the feed will be improved.

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

Should have named it BeIn News instead similar their sports network. Alot of Americans have negative connotations with the name Al Jazeera.

Agree, but this is being ignorant.  Just because some one use this venue to release some tapes.....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

They are demonstrating their cut and paste skills.

Not really. I was just at the Directv Facebook page and most of the comments are not worded exactly the same as they would be if people were merely copying from a script.

#19 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

Funny, this so called "terrorist" channel comes from the United States.It is owned by Al Jazeera, which is based in Qatar. Americans do not realize we have a huge military presence there and that Qatar is one of our allies. One has to wonder what posts have been pulled from this blog; simply amazing.

• sigma1914 and pdxBeav like this

#20 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

I don't mean this as a political comment so I hope it's OK. I am glad that AJ is available on Directv and I hope it will soon be in HD. I understand that an HD feed is available for those systems that want to carry it. However, in the interest of real diversity of programming why not add The Blaze?

spam firewall