Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Aljazeera America started today

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

Not really. I was just at the Directv Facebook page and most of the comments are not worded exactly the same as they would be if people were merely copying from a script.

So they copy and paste badly.

Actually, read more of them. You will see about three or four patterns develop. Ignore typos as those people are typing in the cookie cutter comments.

Blaze gave them all talking points. And in the beginning, it was worded exactly the same over and over again. Now they have multiple things to post but it is a limited set.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

According to Mike White, DIRECTV CEO, The Blaze is overpriced. They're not holding it back because of the content, but it just isn't projected to be a moneymaker for them.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#23 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

I don't mean this as a political comment so I hope it's OK. I am glad that AJ is available on Directv and I hope it will soon be in HD. I understand that an HD feed is available for those systems that want to carry it. However, in the interest of real diversity of programming why not add The Blaze?

Got nothing to do with diversity. Directv, in their dispute with Viacom, derided channels that are available via independent steaming means. They cited that as a reason to lower the prices. Not keep them from increasing, they asked for them to be lowered.

That and directv not thinking the channel helps them, why add it? It is available to anyone with the Internet and it ain't settin the world on fire. (Semi deliberate pun.)

Al Jazeera is owned by the same folks that own Bein. I'm sure there are deals being made.

But it comes down to the same reasons any channel is offered. It is a business decision. Cost versus income. Period.

You'd think that good American conservative entrepreneurs would understand that. (That was not a political comment; I think good American conservatives understand a lot. This is just a rabid fan base with the Blaze.)

Edit to add: I see Stuart said it simpler and quicker than I did. :)

Edited by tonyd79, 20 August 2013 - 05:03 PM.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#24 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

According to Mike White, DIRECTV CEO, The Blaze is overpriced. They're not holding it back because of the content, but it just isn't projected to be a moneymaker for them.

That doesn't make much sense. Nobody is cheaper than Dish Network and if they were able to come to a deal with The Blaze then  so should Directv.

#25 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

That doesn't make much sense. Nobody is cheaper than Dish Network and if they were able to come to a deal with The Blaze then so should Directv.

Maybe THEY did it for political reasons.

You are taking a corporate "person" versus a corporation that is really one person.

Can't leave with just the joke.

They may have felt it fit their demographics better. I see more Dish in conservative rural areas and more directv in less conservative urban and suburban areas.

Edited by tonyd79, 20 August 2013 - 05:08 PM.

• mnassour likes this

#26 OFFLINE   joshadam84

joshadam84

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

You can find the cut and paste source from the blaze folks here:
http://www.getthebla...om/take-action/

It's kind of amusing yet sad reading some of the comments on the Directv FB page!

#27 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 448 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

The Stream is pretty darn good. I really like how no one is trying to talk over each other. Like they're listening to each other rather than trying to get their point across no matter what. Promising start. HD will make it even better.

Sent from the other side of the Milky Way with my S4.

#28 OFFLINE   larryharry59

larryharry59

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

Out of curiosity how does the international Aljazeera channels abroad paint issues like same sex marriage? I know it has a rep for not slanting to either political side but knowing its owned by the monarchy of a Sharia law country there has to be some type of preference in those type of social issues. Just asking because I was reading that they want this channel to target young generations more or less and younger generations are more progressive on issues like that.

#29 OFFLINE   GLJones

GLJones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

OK,  I am all for more sources of information and have no issues with AJ being added to DirecTV. If they can provide another voice then all the better.

I tuned it in for about 5 minutes today and happened to catch their domestic (US) news and the first thing I heard was the same crap I see on MSNBC. A political opinion supported by a discredited study reported as fact to set the tone of a report on a current news item that could have been reported without the biased intro.  Hopefully, their International news is more balanced and factual.

#30 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 448 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

OK, I am all for more sources of information and have no issues with AJ being added to DirecTV. If they can provide another voice then all the better.

I tuned it in for about 5 minutes today and happened to catch their domestic (US) news and the first thing I heard was the same crap I see on MSNBC. A political opinion supported by a discredited study reported as fact to set the tone of a report on a current news item that could have been reported without the biased intro. Hopefully, their International news is more balanced and factual.

What was the opinion? Your example was vague at best.

Sent from the other side of the Milky Way with my S4.

#31 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

It boggles the mind that this topic is even being discussed.  :shrug:

Edited by pdxBeav, 20 August 2013 - 09:59 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:20 AM

The channel needs to be HD.  SD is sucky sucky..

#33 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:46 AM

The man, the myth, the legend - John Siegenthaler. 

#34 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:40 AM

I guess we will see how Anti American the channel is... I personally think it got a bad rap just because Bin Douche choose to give his tapes to them. They claim they are going to take the BBC approach... I guess we will see.

Interesting article on all Cable news networks... http://news.yahoo.co...-072000487.html

Al Jazeera English is not anti American in any way. Al Jazeera America sounds like it will be just like the rest of the American news sources.

#35 OFFLINE   DaveC27

DaveC27

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

DirecTV's Facebook page is self imploding from people hating this channel. Post not about the network are inundated with people wanting The Blaze instead of this "terrorists" news channel. If they only took 5 minutes to actually watch it...

I took a look :)  I was soon thinking, well I'd wish you'd all bugger off to Dish then :)  though it doesnae appear to be cut and paste jobs, "someones" been feeding stories of ALJE being a "terrorist" network and DTV preferring to broadcast anti-American channels instead of good-old patriotic channels

Plus the one or two clearly uninformed wondering why D have replaced Current with ALJ

:)

• sigma1914 likes this

#36 OFFLINE   zeus

zeus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

This could be the go to news channel, but as it has been noted it needs to be in HD. You can tell that a lot of time and effort has been put into the sets, graphics and sweeping camera work. That effort is somewhat wasted in its current format. As a news junkie, I've already watched about 8 hours of coverage yesterday and today. To the point, straight forward news without hyperbole or a single Kardashian mention. Not one!

And very best thing? Zero cheesy teasers followed by commercials and 20 minutes of fluff until you get that news tidbit you were promised. 

#37 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 766 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

Well, that was what was promised ever since the announcement that Current had been sold to AJ.  The point about the sets is well taken, as it's obvious they are set up for HD, it's just a matter of getting DirecTV on board with that.  As one who doesn't watch a lot of SD on DirecTV, this channel certainly shows how badly SD is now being treated by the compression process.

Edited by mnassour, 21 August 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#38 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:04 AM

Well, that was what was promised ever since the announcement that Current had been sold to AJ.  The point about the sets is well taken, as it's obvious they are set up for HD, it's just a matter of getting DirecTV on board with that.  As one who doesn't watch a lot of SD on DirecTV, this channel certainly shows how badly SD is now being treated by the compression process.

Would like to tune in to check it out, but PQ is terrible. Hopefully an upgrade to HD soon.

#39 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

So DirecTV gives us Aljazeera America but won't provide BBC World News or Sky News.

It's pretty sad.

#40 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

DirecTV didn't "give" us anything, Al Jazeera purchased Current and used it to launch Al Jazeera America, instead of running away like Time Warner or backing out at the last minute like U-Verse, they honored the existing contract.

spam firewall