Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Aljazeera America started today

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

Wait...no Lindsey Lohan news?
Fail!

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note II using DBSTalk mobile app

• pdxBeav and kandor like this

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   bjamin82

bjamin82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

So DirecTV gives us Aljazeera America but won't provide BBC World News or Sky News.

It's pretty sad.

From my understanding, its not that D* doesn't want to give us theses, but some other blocker. 

Edit...

http://www.dbstalk.c...news/?p=2421909

Edited by bjamin82, 21 August 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#43 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

Been watching AJA for many hours now since yesterday;

Seems pretty tame stuff so far, with just straight international news reporting largely devoid of editorial commentary.

No real discernible anti-american bias I can detect, at least early on here.

But I agree, the soft and blurriness of DIRECTV's SD PQ just isn't going to cut it. Really need the HD feed ASAP.     

Edited by HoTat2, 21 August 2013 - 11:21 AM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#44 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

I watched a bit. I was actually surprised that the PQ wasn't worse than it is. (It actually looked blurrier on Fios, which is very odd for SD.)

Still, it is SD and it is not great SD at that. But far better than I had hoped. (Especially given that I am not impressed with the Bein HD at all.)

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#45 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

It would be nice if they add this to a Spanish package Mas Ultra, I'm tired of watching CNN,HLN and MSNBC I want to watch unbiased news and no gossips, It was nice when I used to stream to AJE on my ipad.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#46 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 840 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

So DirecTV gives us Aljazeera America but won't provide BBC World News or Sky News.

It's pretty sad.

I don't think Sky is available in this hemisphere, at least I haven't seen it on any US or Canadian DBS service.  But as for BBC World, that CONTINUES to be inexcusable.

And on the content front, it was an excellent first day for AJA.  Good, solid, reporting, no celebrity crap at all....just what they promised.  If you take MSNBC and combine it with Fox and stir in a bit of HLN, you get everything AJA is NOT.

Edited by mnassour, 21 August 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#47 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

You can find the cut and paste source from the blaze folks here:
http://www.getthebla...om/take-action/

It's kind of amusing yet sad reading some of the comments on the Directv FB page!

There seems to be a lot of anti-Blaze bias in this thread in spite of the fact that this forum is supposed to be non political.

• scoop8 likes this

#48 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,228 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:56 PM

There seems to be a lot of anti-Blaze bias in this thread in spite of the fact that this forum is supposed to be non political.

It does seem interesting that The Blaze is the source for attacks on the Al Jazeera America channel. That being said, their suggested attack seems to be focused on "carry us too" not "remove the channel". The Blaze wants people to petition DISH as well, to get their channel moved to AT200 instead of AT250 (another few million subscribers).

I don't believe it is anti-Blaze bias to point out the source of the anti-Al Jazeera America comments being used to petition DirecTV. But it should be noted that now it has been pointed out the thread can move on to discussing the actual channel.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#49 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

I watched a bit. I was actually surprised that the PQ wasn't worse than it is. (It actually looked blurrier on Fios, which is very odd for SD.)

Still, it is SD and it is not great SD at that. But far better than I had hoped. (Especially given that I am not impressed with the Bein HD at all.)

As far as I know, Al Jazeera has never been HD.  Their streaming feeds were all very blurry SD,  The DirecTv and Xfinity feeds are actually MUCH better than even their AJ English satellite distribution channel was.   Agreed tho, to succeed, they need to be HD.

Edited by Davenlr, 21 August 2013 - 10:10 PM.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#50 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:09 AM

No. Just talking about the tactics being used by the Blaze fans. It has been obnoxious. You can't go to any topic on the directv Facebook page and not get repetitive posts by the same people polluting the conversation.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#51 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:02 AM

I'm a fan of carrying The Blaze as an alacarte option, like the newly launched DogTV. Being a fan of The Blaze, I'd certainly pay an extra $5 or $8 to have it as a sub option.

"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#52 ONLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

Out of curiosity how does the international Aljazeera channels abroad paint issues like same sex marriage? I know it has a rep for not slanting to either political side but knowing its owned by the monarchy of a Sharia law country there has to be some type of preference in those type of social issues. Just asking because I was reading that they want this channel to target young generations more or less and younger generations are more progressive on issues like that.

In the time that I've watched Al Jazeere English I have never seen the topic come up but I have seen discussion shows with women talking about marital problems, etc. Very un-Islamic law.

#53 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

Been watching AJA for many hours now since yesterday;

Seems pretty tame stuff so far, with just straight international news reporting largely devoid of editorial commentary.

No real discernible anti-american bias I can detect, at least early on here.

But I agree, the soft and blurriness of DIRECTV's SD PQ just isn't going to cut it. Really need the HD feed ASAP.     

That's the point of Al Jazeera. And I like the fact they still show the Newshour from AJE. Hopefully it will go HD quickly. While I don't know if AJE is in HD anywhere, lots of video content of thier website is available in HD.

#54 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

DirecTV didn't "give" us anything, Al Jazeera purchased Current and used it to launch Al Jazeera America, instead of running away like Time Warner or backing out at the last minute like U-Verse, they honored the existing contract.

My comment about BBC World News was wrong to use the word "give".  I should have used the word "provide".   This country needs more international news and BBC World News is about the only choice I know about.

#55 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

AJA had coverage of the Zimbabwean elections this morning. When was the last time Zimbabwe was on any other cable news network? Good stuff.

Edited by pablo, 22 August 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#56 OFFLINE   6tv's

6tv's

Mentor

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

My comment about BBC World News was wrong to use the word "give".  I should have used the word "provide".   This country needs more international news and BBC World News is about the only choice I know about.

Yes, Getting BBC World news is way overdue. We should also have CNN International, and don't tell me it's not available, because it is on all Verizon FIOS cable systems and many others.

#57 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,119 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

Yes, Getting BBC World news is way overdue. We should also have CNN International, and don't tell me it's not available, because it is on all Verizon FIOS cable systems and many others.

CNN International is available to any provider who wants to make a deal for it with Turner. The previous carriage was tied to CNNfn where CNN International would be provided overnight and on weekends when CNNfn signed off, unfortunately instead of just continuing to carry CNN International 24/7 after CNNfn ceased, most providers opted to drop it entirely. Right now it's mainly available on Time Warner Cable, FiOS, U-Verse and some other smaller providers like Blue Ridge.

As for other international news channels available in the USA, there's also euronews.

#58 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

A channel like AJA is what everybody says they want.   Good, basic journalism free of political hoo-ha.

I really like it so far.

DirecTV customer since 1996

#59 OFFLINE   Bobsacto

Bobsacto

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

In regards to Al Jazerra American being in HD I did receive an email from them today saying  "Though HD will not be available for Al Jazeera America, you can continue to access quality, in-depth coverage of overlooked issues that are of interest to the American public by tuning in and watching us on TV or by going to our website" Don't know the long-term plans but the PQ on Al Jazeera English when I watched it on TV in the Mideast was better than what I am getting here on DTV.

#60 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

No. Just talking about the tactics being used by the Blaze fans. It has been obnoxious. You can't go to any topic on the directv Facebook page and not get repetitive posts by the same people polluting the conversation.

Agreed. I just saw a post by DirecTV asking what people thought the best film franchise is, and I see things about Blaze. And a new one, someone saying that DirecTV refuses to add GaitherTV. This was a new one to me, so I looked it up. It's a Gospel Internet channel at $5 a month. As in not available from any provider and anyone interested can subscribe via Internet.

Personally, I don't really care if DirecTV adds Blaze or not, but I'm all for it if it cuts down on the spam type comments. Though I doubt anyone that complains about AJA has actually seen its content. Sometimes I think the average American actually needs a commentator to tell them what to think, on both sides.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...