Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Aljazeera America started today

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

I don't think Sky is available in this hemisphere, at least I haven't seen it on any US or Canadian DBS service.  But as for BBC World, that CONTINUES to be inexcusable.

And on the content front, it was an excellent first day for AJA.  Good, solid, reporting, no celebrity crap at all....just what they promised.  If you take MSNBC and combine it with Fox and stir in a bit of HLN, you get everything AJA is NOT.

SkyNews has a good feed on Roku currently but international news channels come and go there. They had AJA until it went live on Directv then it was removed. Maybe a contract issue with Direct.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   zeus

zeus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

In regards to Al Jazerra American being in HD I did receive an email from them today saying  "Though HD will not be available for Al Jazeera America, you can continue to access quality, in-depth coverage of overlooked issues that are of interest to the American public by tuning in and watching us on TV or by going to our website" Don't know the long-term plans but the PQ on Al Jazeera English when I watched it on TV in the Mideast was better than what I am getting here on DTV.

I got the exact same stock template. 

#63 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

SkyNews has a good feed on Roku currently but international news channels come and go there. They had AJA until it went live on Directv then it was removed. Maybe a contract issue with Direct.

Sky was added to AppleTV a month or so ago. Better than I remembered.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#64 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

Sky looks quite good on Roku with video very close to HD quality.  Also, there is a wide-screen, high quality, almost HD Al Jazeera English stream that was blocked to US viewers when AJA began.  It still can be viewed here on mobile devices, computers etc. by using a VPN app.  Personally, I think that blocking it to US viewers was a condition imposed by someone (I won't say who I think it is.. :)) during carriage contract negotiations for AJA.

Edited by oldcrooner, 28 August 2013 - 02:17 PM.

Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

#65 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,237 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

We just got al Jazeera in SD on Comcast, ch 107. PQ is excellent for SD.

Watching their reporting of U.S. and world news, seems to be "fair & balanced" so far.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#66 OFFLINE   6tv's

6tv's

Mentor

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

We just got al Jazeera in SD on Comcast, ch 107. PQ is excellent for SD.

Watching their reporting of U.S. and world news, seems to be "fair & balanced" so far.

Just curious to know as to what kind of TV that you have, because the SD PQ of AJA on my TV from Comcast is awful.

#67 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,858 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

I just did a cleanup of a political discussion.  You guys know better so lets not go down that road again.

Not to mention that it was getting a little personal.  Discuss the topic and not each other.

:backtotop

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#68 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,237 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

Just curious to know as to what kind of TV that you have, because the SD PQ of AJA on my TV from Comcast is awful.

Watching earlier while working in computer room -- older Philips 26" 720p display --oldie but goody -- AJA raster was 4:3 @ 480p -- sweet!

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#69 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

There seems to be a lot of anti-Blaze bias in this thread in spite of the fact that this forum is supposed to be non political.

+1

“The problem with quotes from the internet is that you cannot always verify the authenticity.”

---------Abraham Lincoln

#70 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,509 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:44 PM

More along the lines of anti- anti-Al Jazeera ... Al Jazeera being the topic of this thread.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#71 OFFLINE   zeus

zeus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

After getting the stock response from AJA concerning HD, I messaged them back stating that while I appreciated the enthusiasm and love the promise of the channel, in this day and age I only watch HD programming.

This followed:

We are definitely working on HD so please stay tuned!

So, I guess there is hope that they are currently hammering away a deal with DirecTV. That would be a game changer.

Edited by zeus, 30 August 2013 - 09:18 AM.

#72 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

After getting the stock response from AJA concerning HD, I messaged them back stating that while I appreciated the enthusiasm and love the promise of the channel, in this day and age I only watch HD programming.

This followed:

So, I guess there is hope that they are currently hammering away a deal with DirecTV. That would be a game changer.

Ditto on both - and given the quality of the sports telecasts they do on BEIN SPORTS, I'm looking forward to their HD programming.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#73 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

Sharp 60" Aquos with a DVDO.  PQ is great for SD on our Comcast cable as well.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#74 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

Just updating on HD.  Reviews of content and presentation are apparently great across the board from TV reviewers interested in those qualities.  I guess that will also translate into ad revenue.  Either road - I thought it might be time to ask again about HD and this was the response:

"Thank you for your email. We greatly appreciate your support – it is invaluable to us. HD is coming!"

#75 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

This followed:

I don't think they produce an HD feed yet (which seems odd when you have effectively unlimited money and are starting from scratch). I hope for their sake their equipment is all HD-ready.

#76 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

Directv is wasting bandwidth on Al Jazeera. Nobody is watching that channel. I'll bet you anything that the Blaze would get better ratings. Why does Directv find the need to force a channel on us that we don't want to watch when a more popular news channel is available to take its place?

Some of AJAM’s daytime news programming fell to a 0 (that’s zero) in the key demographic of ages 25-54; and the network’s primetime shows often fell into the single-digits in that same demo.

http://www.mediaite....ero-in-key-demo

Are you kidding me? A flat zero rating and Directv is still carrying them?

#77 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

I'm not sure you all understand how contracts work. DIRECTV had a contract with Current, and the contract continued when AJA took over. DIRECTV is not trying to force anything on you, they are upholding a contract. I'm sure when the contract is up, the terms (if any) will be renegotiated.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#78 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

Directv is wasting bandwidth on Al Jazeera. Nobody is watching that channel. I'll bet you anything that the Blaze would get better ratings. Why does Directv find the need to force a channel on us that we don't want to watch when a more popular news channel is available to take its place?

http://www.mediaite....ero-in-key-demo

Are you kidding me? A flat zero rating and Directv is still carrying them?

As Stuart said, it's not forcing the channel. There's also no way you can say The Blaze is categorically even a news channel like AJA is. The Blaze makes MSNBC & Fox News look unbiased, fair and neutral.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#79 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

As Stuart said, it's not forcing the channel. There's also no way you can say The Blaze is categorically even a news channel like AJA is. The Blaze makes MSNBC & Fox News look unbiased, fair and neutral.

Even if the Blaze is biased some of us might want to watch biased programming. If I enjoy being exposed to a conservative (or liberal) bias then as a paying customer that should be might my right. Even if you are going to categorize it as entertainment rather news, so what. If there is a demand for it then put it on the air.

As far as Directv's contract with Current goes, when Current morphed into Al Jazeera Time Warner dropped the channel claiming that when Current was bought out by Al Jazeera it made their contract with Current null and void. I wish that Directv would do the same thing, especially as I already pointed out they are wasting bandwidth on a channel that almost nobody watches anyway.

I might also add that when you claim that the Blaze is biased and not a news channel you are getting very close to violating this site's prohibition on political comments.

#80 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

You can get The Blaze, they offer it subscription based on Roku or Dish... as you know. Why should an MSO like DirecTV or any company pay a fee to carry a network when its loyal followers can easily obtain the signal themselves? Why should everyone else pay for it?

I didn't mention anything political, but we'll let admins handle that end.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

spam firewall