Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Aljazeera America started today

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

Directv is wasting bandwidth on Al Jazeera. Nobody is watching that channel. I'll bet you anything that the Blaze would get better ratings. Why does Directv find the need to force a channel on us that we don't want to watch when a more popular news channel is available to take its place?

Some of AJAM’s daytime news programming fell to a 0 (that’s zero) in the key demographic of ages 25-54; and the network’s primetime shows often fell into the single-digits in that same demo.

http://www.mediaite....ero-in-key-demo

Are you kidding me? A flat zero rating and Directv is still carrying them?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,983 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

I'm not sure you all understand how contracts work. DIRECTV had a contract with Current, and the contract continued when AJA took over. DIRECTV is not trying to force anything on you, they are upholding a contract. I'm sure when the contract is up, the terms (if any) will be renegotiated.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#78 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,336 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

Directv is wasting bandwidth on Al Jazeera. Nobody is watching that channel. I'll bet you anything that the Blaze would get better ratings. Why does Directv find the need to force a channel on us that we don't want to watch when a more popular news channel is available to take its place?

http://www.mediaite....ero-in-key-demo

Are you kidding me? A flat zero rating and Directv is still carrying them?

As Stuart said, it's not forcing the channel. There's also no way you can say The Blaze is categorically even a news channel like AJA is. The Blaze makes MSNBC & Fox News look unbiased, fair and neutral.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#79 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

As Stuart said, it's not forcing the channel. There's also no way you can say The Blaze is categorically even a news channel like AJA is. The Blaze makes MSNBC & Fox News look unbiased, fair and neutral.

Even if the Blaze is biased some of us might want to watch biased programming. If I enjoy being exposed to a conservative (or liberal) bias then as a paying customer that should be might my right. Even if you are going to categorize it as entertainment rather news, so what. If there is a demand for it then put it on the air.

As far as Directv's contract with Current goes, when Current morphed into Al Jazeera Time Warner dropped the channel claiming that when Current was bought out by Al Jazeera it made their contract with Current null and void. I wish that Directv would do the same thing, especially as I already pointed out they are wasting bandwidth on a channel that almost nobody watches anyway.

I might also add that when you claim that the Blaze is biased and not a news channel you are getting very close to violating this site's prohibition on political comments.

#80 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,336 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

You can get The Blaze, they offer it subscription based on Roku or Dish... as you know. Why should an MSO like DirecTV or any company pay a fee to carry a network when its loyal followers can easily obtain the signal themselves? Why should everyone else pay for it?

I didn't mention anything political, but we'll let admins handle that end.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#81 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:35 PM

I might also add that when you claim that the Blaze is biased and not a news channel you are getting very close to violating this site's prohibition on political comments.

I don't see how criticizing a channel can be taken as a political comment.  I say that MSNBC and Fox news are biased and that most channels today are awful because they have sold out to reality TV crap.  That is nonpolitical and reflects my opinion of the channels.  If I was to say I hate MSNBC because they are snobby left wing elitists or Fox because they pander to conservative backwards thinking cavemen, then I have crossed the line into political comments.  Mods correct me if I am wrong, but it would be a very boring place if nobody was allowed to complain about anything.  Personally I miss the days when Headline News had actual news.

#82 OFFLINE   Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts
  • LocationOcala, FL

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:06 PM

Never saw this thread about AJA until just now.  No chance it would ever make my favorites list, but I had to check it out to see what all the hubbub was about.  Did it get dropped already, or is 358 the wrong channel to check?

#83 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,172 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

It is best to leave all the hate outside of the forum ... for example, your post wanting AJA pulled and Blaze added. When AJA launched Blaze followers filled the internet with "pull AJA add the Blaze" messages - often exact postings suggested from the Blaze website. We don't condone such petitions and causes here at DBSTalk.

So if you (or anyone else) would like to talk about AJA this is the thread - but please, leave the causes out.

If you don't like AJA I'm sure there are other channels to watch. No one is forced to watch now any more than they were when it was "Current".
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#84 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,163 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

Even if the Blaze is biased some of us might want to watch biased programming. If I enjoy being exposed to a conservative (or liberal) bias then as a paying customer that should be might my right. Even if you are going to categorize it as entertainment rather news, so what. If there is a demand for it then put it on the air.

As far as Directv's contract with Current goes, when Current morphed into Al Jazeera Time Warner dropped the channel claiming that when Current was bought out by Al Jazeera it made their contract with Current null and void. I wish that Directv would do the same thing, especially as I already pointed out they are wasting bandwidth on a channel that almost nobody watches anyway.

Your posts have been way closer to that than anyone else's that I've seen (though I missed the posts that have since been cleared out).

It's simple, if you don't like AJAM, don't watch it. I certainly don't watch things I don't like, and there are plenty of things on DirecTV that I don't like. It's called building a selection of content that appeals to a broad range of viewers. 

#85 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

Never saw this thread about AJA until just now.  No chance it would ever make my favorites list, but I had to check it out to see what all the hubbub was about.  Did it get dropped already, or is 358 the wrong channel to check?

It moved to channel 347 last week.

And really this goes for any channel people want added, whether it's The Blaze, BBC World News, CNN International, euronews, MTV Hits, Epix, C-SPAN3, Military History, Pac 12, Longhorn, etc. The provider is more likely to listen to your request if it's sent to the proper place (i.e. the contact us section on their site instead of spamming completely unrelated posts on their facebook page), put it in your own words instead of cutting and pasting a bunch of talking points, and build it up on its own merits instead of bashing other channels or demanding other channels be removed as part of the request.

Edited by KyL416, 08 October 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#86 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

I believe that they should add it, to appease their customers, to watch both views of the political spectrum, even if some don't agree with it, everyone have different taste so let the people decide, But of course within reason for what they ask for, But there's also a choice to change provider's if don't agree with what was added or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using DBSTalk mobile app

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#87 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

It is best to leave all the hate outside of the forum ... for example, your post wanting AJA pulled and Blaze added. When AJA launched Blaze followers filled the internet with "pull AJA add the Blaze" messages - often exact postings suggested from the Blaze website. We don't condone such petitions and causes here at DBSTalk.

So if you (or anyone else) would like to talk about AJA this is the thread - but please, leave the causes out.

If you don't like AJA I'm sure there are other channels to watch. No one is forced to watch now any more than they were when it was "Current".

I respectfully disagree that my mentioning that Al Jazeera is getting terrible ratings and should be replaced by the Blaze is tantamount to "hate." My only comment regarding AJA concerned its ratings. I made no aspersions about its content and I certainly didn't bring it up in a political context. And in fact I didn't say that I don't like it either. I said that it is low rated and after all, cable and satellite systems have dropped networks in the past due to low ratings. So what's wrong with my suggesting that Directv do the same?

Quite the contrary, it was another poster who said that the Blaze isn't really news. I made no such comment about AJE but I am the one who is accused of hate speech. That doesn't seem fair at all.

Also, I am not a part of any cause. But if you feel that commenting about a network's ratings and suggesting that it be replaced by another network that might get better ratings is a inappropriate, then so be it. But I had no idea that anyone would come to such a conclusion about my comment.

#88 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

At that same time, DirecTV was making the opposite argument with Fox, when Fox converted Fuel & Speed to FS1 and FS2.  DirecTV argued that rebranding the channels didn't negate the existing contracts and refused to pay Fox any extra for either of these two channels.  They weren't (aren't) about to hypocritically make the opposite argument with Al Jazeera because Fox would have just used that point against DirecTV, which would have cost DirecTV a LOT of money.

#89 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,172 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

I respectfully disagree that my mentioning that Al Jazeera is getting terrible ratings and should be replaced by the Blaze is tantamount to "hate."

Suffice it to say that your comment would have been better received if you had not instantly offered another channel. It taints your opinion of AJA to ask for the Blaze.

Your claim that "nobody is watching" is proven false by your own link. Perhaps you meant "nobody who matters is watching"? According to the article you linked thousands of people are watching ... and they even beat CNBC at one point last week in that "people who matter" category. Someone is watching.

It isn't me ... I have not watched since the first couple of days. (I didn't watch Current and have only watched The Blaze enough to get a taste.) But someone is watching AJA - and out of respect for them let's avoid false statements about the channel and calls for it to be removed.

Thanks!
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#90 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:35 PM

The problem is saying it should be replaced with the one network that decided instead of having their fans pitch the network on their own merits, spam social media before the channel even launched with the sole basis of their pitch being "we're not Al Jazeera". If anything Al Jazeera got a boost since it was added to more Comcast systems in the past 2 months. If they wanted more viewers they should have pitched their online subscription service that anyone with a broadband connection can get. There's these things called contracts. DirecTV cannot just drop a station mid-contract without some type of breach or pre-existing escape clause to justify it. G4 wasn't dropped until the TechTV contract expired, even after it was purchased by Comcast, merged with G4, fired all the tech personalities and morphed into the Cops 2.0 and Girls Gone Wild infomercial network, when Trio was dropped about a decade ago it was at the end of the contract, Cinemoi was dropped because they breached the contract by missing a payment. Whether DirecTV gets the Blaze or not has nothing to do with Al Jazeera or any other network.

One thing really skewing the ratings is the availability, last I checked while Nielsen's sample tries to balance various age, family, income and race demos, it doesn't account for the various providers people have or which package they subscrirbe to. Since Al Jazeera is limited to satellite, Comcast, FiOS and select smaller providers, it doesn't have the benefit of a more widely available network that has similar placement tier wise like CNBC World, Fox Business or Bloomberg who's available on nearly every major provider. Using fake, but likely similar numbers, you can have a 500 home sample for a given market, but when only 50 of those homes have DirecTV and Dish, any network not available in the other 450 homes is going to suffer in the ratings after Nielsen does their magic and decides what an entire DMA is watching based on a 0.02% sample.

Edited by KyL416, 08 October 2013 - 06:37 PM.

#91 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

Your claim that "nobody is watching" is proven false by your own link. Perhaps you meant "nobody who matters is watching"? According to the article you linked thousands of people are watching ... and they even beat CNBC at one point last week in that "people who matter" category. Someone is watching.

The link indicates that they got a zero rating during some daytime hours. That's pretty close to "nobody" but you are correct, they get a few thousand viewers during some timeslots. I used the term "nobody" rhetorically rather than literally.

#92 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,336 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

I respectfully disagree that my mentioning that Al Jazeera is getting terrible ratings and should be replaced by the Blaze is tantamount to "hate." My only comment regarding AJA concerned its ratings. I made no aspersions about its content and I certainly didn't bring it up in a political context. And in fact I didn't say that I don't like it either. I said that it is low rated and after all, cable and satellite systems have dropped networks in the past due to low ratings. So what's wrong with my suggesting that Directv do the same?

Quite the contrary, it was another poster who said that the Blaze isn't really news. I made no such comment about AJE but I am the one who is accused of hate speech. That doesn't seem fair at all.

Also, I am not a part of any cause. But if you feel that commenting about a network's ratings and suggesting that it be replaced by another network that might get better ratings is a inappropriate, then so be it. But I had no idea that anyone would come to such a conclusion about my comment.

I'll ask again ... Why should an MSO like DirecTV or any company pay a fee to carry a network when its loyal followers can easily obtain the signal themselves, like online or via Roku? Why should everyone else pay for it?

You may not be part of the cause, but in a big coincidence, Beck issued this piece of news on his webpage today.

#93 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

I'll ask again ... Why should an MSO like DirecTV or any company pay a fee to carry a network when its loyal followers can easily obtain the signal themselves, like online or via Roku? Why should everyone else pay for it?

You may not be part of the cause, but in a big coincidence, Beck issued this piece of news on his webpage today.

I got this information from Mediate and that is the site that I linked to. But the fact is that Directv already carries and pays a fee for programming that can be accessed on other platforms. For instance, much of ESPN's programming can also be had on their "Watch ESPN" app. Plus some people don't have sufficient Internet bandwidth to watch the Blaze on line and they may not own an appliance such as a Roku box. But they could watch it on Directv much as others watch the Blaze on Dish Network.

#94 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,488 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:36 PM

Yep, 347

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Bsm: HR24-1, Den HR24-2, MB: HR24-5, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#95 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,172 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:47 PM

For instance, much of ESPN's programming can also be had on their "Watch ESPN" app.

"WatchESPN requires a video subscription from an affiliated provider."
It is an extension of what they do on the cable channels that one subscribes to in order to get access to WatchESPN programming.

The channel you are promoting started and generally lives as an internet feed. The topic of this thread is AJA ... which is a channel that launched as a cable channel replacing Current TV. (Prior to launch people in the US could watch clips and live streaming of another AJ channel called Aljazeera English. Those feeds are no longer available in the US.)

#96 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Banned User
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:39 PM

I got this information from Mediate and that is the site that I linked to. But the fact is that Directv already carries and pays a fee for programming that can be accessed on other platforms. For instance, much of ESPN's programming can also be had on their "Watch ESPN" app. Plus some people don't have sufficient Internet bandwidth to watch the Blaze on line and they may not own an appliance such as a Roku box. But they could watch it on Directv much as others watch the Blaze on Dish Network.

The fact is that the owners of the Blaze have historically used any situation they can to drive their viewers to call companies that don't carry the channel. I have never seen the Blaze owners tell people to go get a ROKU. If Blaze didn't choose to issue a propaganda war over AJA to begin with then you would probably get less vitriol responses. However it's clear that the majority of posters in this thread that mention Blaze do so for ulterior motives rather than to discuss the legitimate merits or demerits of AJA.

At the end of the day AJA has an agreement to have the channel carried and if any other channel wants to be carried they just have to make an agreement with that company that both can agree to.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#97 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

I don't think they produce an HD feed yet (which seems odd when you have effectively unlimited money and are starting from scratch). I hope for their sake their equipment is all HD-ready.

The first week of start-up the showed a special several times on the construction of their studios in the US. For what TV geek background I have, they looked ready for an upgrade to HD. Frankly, a lot more ready than some of my local network affiliates were. I think the change will be sooner rather than later.

I imagine that will also require renegotiation with D* as well.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#98 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,163 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

The first week of start-up the showed a special several times on the construction of their studios in the US. For what TV geek background I have, they looked ready for an upgrade to HD. Frankly, a lot more ready than some of my local network affiliates were. I think the change will be sooner rather than later.

I imagine that will also require renegotiation with D* as well.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

I'm sure the reason is because they're piggybacking off of the Current contracts, which Current did not have an HD feed. I found on Wikipedia that AJAM is producing everything in 720p, but no carrier has them in HD. But, they do seem to be ready when the time comes.

#99 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

"WatchESPN requires a video subscription from an affiliated provider."
It is an extension of what they do on the cable channels that one subscribes to in order to get access to WatchESPN programming.

The channel you are promoting started and generally lives as an internet feed. The topic of this thread is AJA ... which is a channel that launched as a cable channel replacing Current TV. (Prior to launch people in the US could watch clips and live streaming of another AJ channel called Aljazeera English. Those feeds are no longer available in the US.)

Yes and after the free trial the Blaze is also available by subscription. CNN also streams its programming on line even though Directv pays them to carry their programming. As far as AJA being the topic of this thread goes, I was discussing AJA and its low ratings.

I feel that you are using your role as a moderator to try to bully me due to some agenda that you must have. No objective person would consider my comments inappropriate. If I owned this site which of course I don't I would remove you as a moderator since you are obviously biased.

Edited by john262, 09 October 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#100 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,983 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

I have to disagree with what you're saying about James Long. We would like to keep this on topic, and that is all James is trying to do. I ask politely that you comply.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...