Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Aljazeera America started today

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 483 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

I for one watch al jazeera and I like it a lot. I don't see the bias. I see it as neutral. From what I've seen of the blaze it is very biased. Seems like a fox news 2. Sent from my SGH-I337 using DBSTalk mobile app

Edited by mrro82, 09 October 2013 - 08:30 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

Well, I find main stream media and fox news too authoritarian. I want a news channel that gives me facts and let me make up my own mind. From what I have seen so far, AJAM comes closer to that ideal than either MSNBC or Fox.  So far,  I am a fan of AJAM and I have reduced my watching of Fox tremendously.

#103 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

I watch a lot of Al Jazeera America, even though it's SD. Is it just the Arabic name that people have (obviously unfounded) dislike about? It's pure news, even though the content has been way Americanized from Al Jazeera English (so much so that I honestly wish AJA would've just simulcast AJE, especially now that the stream has been blocked). 

#104 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

Is it just the Arabic name that people have (obviously unfounded) dislike about?

It's more likely the fact that they are the news source that Al-Qaeda and other terrorist organizations historically used to get their tapes released to the rest of the world.  So, lots of people only know them as a "puppet" of terrorist organizations.

#105 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

Until I got a Roku working when I upgraded earlier this year to Comcast, I saw all my "terrorist" videos on CNN or ABC or NBC.

But I didn't really consider those networks puppets, just Journalists.

#106 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 576 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

As requested by the moterators, several times, please keep this topic on Al Jazeera America.

As some have already stated, it is nice to get a news channel which gives you the news, without interpretation. Al Jazeera America does this. Also, their documentaries are very good. As for ratings, any new start up will need time to gain an audience; just like CNN needed to do the same thing in its early days. Back when CNN started, the concept of 24 hour TV news was a very tough concept to sell. As for the "Al Jazeera" moniker; who cares, as long as they remain unbaised and report the news. That is the first rule of journalism; report, not interpret.

I used to watch the "Situation Room" until Al Jazeera America started a couple mnths ago; it was a refreshing chnage. I got tired of celebrity fluff, as well as CNN doing anything toi try to get ratings. Al Jazeera America has not stooped to play the political spectrum for views, which FOX NEws, CNN and MSNBC have. This may chnage, but right now, Al Jazeera America is much like CNN when it first started; news.

• ejbvt and mrro82 like this

#107 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:43 AM

It's more likely the fact that they are the news source that Al-Qaeda and other terrorist organizations historically used to get their tapes released to the rest of the world.  So, lots of people only know them as a "puppet" of terrorist organizations.

That's the Arabic channel, it's a completely different entity than the English or American channels. Different ownership, etc. You won't see any beheadings on those two but you will on the Arabic channel. I watched the English version during all of the upheaval in the area and they were very even handed. I didn't like all of the British accents with the commentators though.

#108 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

I'm sure the reason is because they're piggybacking off of the Current contracts, which Current did not have an HD feed. I found on Wikipedia that AJAM is producing everything in 720p, but no carrier has them in HD. But, they do seem to be ready when the time comes.

Their sports channel - 620, BeIN SPORTS - appears to be in 1080p. And fans of world sports don't seem to have any ideological problems.

Except with referees, of course. :-]

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#109 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:37 AM

"I don't think Sky is available in this hemisphere, at least I haven't seen it on any US or Canadian DBS service.  But as for BBC World, that CONTINUES to be inexcusable."

Sky International is available through iTunes.  I watch it on the living room TV via Apple TV.

#110 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

The lack of BBC World News is annoying to be sure. I wish DirecTV would bulk up on international English language programming. I understand there are rights issues because many of these channels rebroadcast American content, but I would be willing to pay a significant amount to get, say, the CBC, BBC, BBC World, Australian TV, etc. 

#111 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

"I don't think Sky is available in this hemisphere, at least I haven't seen it on any US or Canadian DBS service.  But as for BBC World, that CONTINUES to be inexcusable."

Sky International is available through iTunes.  I watch it on the living room TV via Apple TV.

Sky International News is also available on Roku in almost HD quality. Also, as I posted before, the Al Jazeera English stream is still available in North America via one of the several VPN apps and is also still on one of the Roku news channels whose name escapes me at the moment.  The Roku channel originates in London, I believe.

Edited by oldcrooner, 13 October 2013 - 09:33 PM.

Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

#112 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:17 AM

The lack of BBC World News is annoying to be sure. I wish DirecTV would bulk up on international English language programming. I understand there are rights issues because many of these channels rebroadcast American content, but I would be willing to pay a significant amount to get, say, the CBC, BBC, BBC World, Australian TV, etc. 

I don't know if it's what you are looking for but BBC World News is on every weekday at 6 a.m. on BBCA.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#113 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:35 AM

I don't know if it's what you are looking for but BBC World News is on every weekday at 6 a.m. on BBCA.

Mike

It's also carried on my local PBS for an hour at some point in the middle of the night, but I am talking about the channel BBC World News. It's a 24 hour news channel like AJAM or CNN.

#114 OFFLINE   oriolesmagic

oriolesmagic

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMD

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

BBC World News is also now available in HD. Time Warner Cable, Bright House Networks and Charter have added it.

Al Jazeera America is being filmed in HD, and is available in HD on Google Fiber.

Edited by oriolesmagic, 14 October 2013 - 08:21 AM.

spam firewall