Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

direct tv local channels for chicago il but live in kenosha wi

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   duckland23

duckland23

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

Hi

I was wondering if I can get the Chicago local channels , 2,5,7,9.11.fox32 ,26 and do forth . Im getting local channels on time warner but I didn't see them offered on directv . Those channels are part of are local programming for Wisconsin too .I would really like to get back WTTW Chicago . They Removed it from time warner back in 2009 . I can get them off the over the air antenna ,but I need a digital converter box . I own standard def televisions with CRT Picture Tubes . If anyone In the Kenosha ,Wisconsin area had directv do you get WTTTW Chicago .Plus I like to see Chicago news , Directv haS WGN but its not the same as the local version we get morning news from WGN .So what would be the insight on what Im posting ,nay info please post a answer .

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,263 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

I receive all the Chicago locals in HD while in the Milwaukee market by using an AM21 OTA tuner that connects to the HDDVR.  They are incorporated right into the guide and I am able to record, FF, RW, etc.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#3 OFFLINE   duckland23

duckland23

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

Yes But I ordered the standard def box from them .The unit your talking about is a separate receiver right .

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

If you do not live in a DMA eligible for Chicago locals, I assume Kenosha is another DMA, then the only way to get them is to get an OTA converter box, or have HD service and use an AM21 connected up to it the HD dvr or receiver.

#5 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 463 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

If you're in OTA range, get the AM21. It will add subchannels, too!

If not there's always "moving" - people on this site are seemingly opposed to it (it might be illegal, but the DMA system is very unAmerican). It's easy and no one at Directv cares. I am in the same situation as you - DMA border. My strongest OTA channels are not available in my county with satellite, but they are 7 miles east of here. STUPID.

Edited by ejbvt, 20 August 2013 - 09:00 PM.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#6 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

Hi

I was wondering if I can get the Chicago local channels , 2,5,7,9.11.fox32 ,26 and do forth . Im getting local channels on time warner but I didn't see them offered on directv . Those channels are part of are local programming for Wisconsin too .I would really like to get back WTTW Chicago . They Removed it from time warner back in 2009 . I can get them off the over the air antenna ,but I need a digital converter box . I own standard def televisions with CRT Picture Tubes . If anyone In the Kenosha ,Wisconsin area had directv do you get WTTTW Chicago .Plus I like to see Chicago news , Directv haS WGN but its not the same as the local version we get morning news from WGN .So what would be the insight on what Im posting ,nay info please post a answer .

Get an antenna with AM-21 and with directv you get CSN HD and CSN + HD  (no bulls games on CSN)  The brat stop has an antenna hooked into the tv's and directv HD boxes.

Edited by JoeTheDragon, 20 August 2013 - 09:08 PM.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,288 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

But of curse the AM21 only works with HD gear and the TS ordered an SD receiver.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,281 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

If not there's always "moving" - people on this site are seemingly opposed to it (it might be illegal, but the DMA system is very unAmerican). It's easy and no one at Directv cares. I am in the same situation as you - DMA border. My strongest OTA channels are not available in my county with satellite, but they are 7 miles east of here. STUPID.

Whether we agree with the TOS or not, whether the actual terms make sense or not is irrelevant.  It is the policy of this site that actions that  violate said TOS will not be discussed.

My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:42 AM

The legal way to get channels from outside of your dma is if they are significantly viewed, but I don't think any Chicago channels are.

#10 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

The legal way to get channels from outside of your dma is if they are significantly viewed, but I don't think any Chicago channels are.

WGN 9 and WCIU 26 may fall under that? if just for the sports.  But I been to brat stop and they seem to have it on quite a bit for sports and even news.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#11 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 463 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:25 PM

"Legal local channels." HAHAHAHA!

Are you telling me my antenna is illegal because it gets channels not in my DMA? Should I report it for violating TOS? I have never even been to the city my "local" NBC is from, and I dont' receive it OTA. But that's what I get. I dont have a problem paying for that channel since I dont' receive it OTA.

But that idea that the channels from a different city are illegal because of a stupid DMA line is hogwash. I can get channels from 3 DMAs with my antenna. I "moved" to get that 3rd DMAs channels on Directv so I dont have to move my antenna. Is that illegal? I really don't care. I am "stealing" something I already have. I would rather opt out of locals and not pay for them at all since I get all of them (except the aforementioned NBC) for free anyway. Since I have to pay, I make it a value.

The OP can probably receive every channel he wants OTA, but the AM21 is not compatible with his receiver. If he (and myself) are willing to PAY for something we could get for free... 

If the OP is female, my apologies.

Edited by ejbvt, 21 August 2013 - 03:28 PM.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#12 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

But of curse the AM21 only works with HD gear and the TS ordered an SD receiver.

It also works with an R22 SD DVR if you can find one.  I have one but I don't have an AM-21 (but I'm considering one).   :slowgrin:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,288 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

It also works with an R22 SD DVR if you can find one.  I have one but I don't have an AM-21 (but I'm considering one).   :slowgrin:

After I posted, I knew that was coming....

But the TS ordered a D12 so a moot point on this thread 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   duckland23

duckland23

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

Moot point ?.

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,288 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

Moot point ?.

you ordered a D12 right?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...