Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Al Jazeera America is now on DISH

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

Channel 215, is now Al Jazerra, they have not changed the program guide yet, it still says current. Cant believe that the powers that be are selling America out like this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

Worth mentioning ... but please - lets not have a thread that goes political and gets people in trouble.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

Indeed...I would recommend you watch six hours of it before making a comment such as this.  Trust me, you WILL be surprised.

Edited by mnassour, 20 August 2013 - 08:30 PM.

• FarmerBob likes this

#4 OFFLINE   thirteen

thirteen

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

I've just checked, and Al Jazeera America is running on DirecTV as well.  It's on channel 358, where Current was.  SD only.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:53 PM

Al Jazeera America launched to 45 million subscribers. AT&T U-Verse dropped Current the night before launch reducing the count from the expected 48 million. Of major carriers Comcast, DirecTV, Dish Network and Verizon FiOS have it -- Time Warner is still in negotiations.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:08 AM

There was no intention of making this a "political" post. we have Fox with the Right, MSNBC with the "Left" and now this with Hmmmm??? You have to be slightly suspicious , take it as you may, thanks

Edited by dlt, 21 August 2013 - 05:12 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:22 AM

Al-Jazeera was the only news network to cover the atrocious treatment of the Zadroga bill in Congress (to provide funds to pay for the medical expenses of 9/11 first responders).  They devoted an entire 20-minute segment to it.  The only other MENTION of it was less than 10 seconds on MSNBC.  The legislators were basically caught waiting for people to die so they wouldn't have to be on record as supporting a spending bill.  After years of congressional stalling it was finally signed into law in January of 2011.

Judging Al-Jazeera by it's name is akin to thinking everyone with an "O'Malley" last name is an IRA terrorist.

• FarmerBob likes this

#8 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

Worth mentioning ... but please - lets not have a thread that goes political and gets people in trouble.

I like it.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#9 OFFLINE   TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

I'll reserve judgement until finding a reason to believe the owners love America and want to help make it the greatest country in the world.

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,799 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

I'll reserve judgement until finding a reason to believe the owners love America and want to help make it the greatest country in the world.

Do you do that with other stations?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

Do you do that with other stations?

Yes. I watch many and respect one.

#12 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

And I'm gonna guess it starts with "F" and ends in "S" and doesn't have "reakingridiculou" in the middle.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,426 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

I haven't seen a news channel EVER that I could make the claim that I believe they "want to better America"...

IF people aren't going to evaluate this channel by watching and commenting on the actual content, rather than going with rumor, innuendo, and insinuations... then this will be a short-lived thread.

As always, and for every channel... watch it if you want, don't if you don't... but theoretically we support free press and welcome other viewpoints.

Even IF the "enemy" has a "biased" channel... it behooves you to give it a look...  "know thine enemy" comes to mind...  Either you'll discover you were wrong in your preconceived notions OR you'll learn something to further your belief.  Seems like a win-win to me.

• TheFoxMan likes this

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#14 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

Al Jazeera has the stated goal of being a straight news service - no opinionated talking heads - no left or right bias - no celebrity gossip. They have invested heavily in the infrastructure to make this possible and brought on a number of respected American journalists. So far the programming seems similar to what I have seen on BBC World service, which is a good thing. Perhaps it would have been better if Dish had given us access to BBC World, but Al Jazeera seems to be a decent next best thing.

FYI, the second largest shareholder in Fox News is Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, so the anti-Muslim Fox fans should ponder that when condemning Al Jezeera for its ownership.

Frankly I don't want yet another news service that is pro-American. I want a news channel that is pro-news. We get enough pro-American propaganda already. That is why many who want to be informed look outside the American media market for their news.
  • kc1ih and tsmacro like this

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

I haven't seen a news channel EVER that I could make the claim that I believe they "want to better America"...

I won't name one that probably believes that is their purpose ... however the mainstream channels want the same thing, to be profitable and inform. Generally in that order. News is the means to the ends of making money. :)

#16 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

Soledad O'Brien a respected journalist?  :rotfl:

For the record, I don't do SD so I won't be watching.

#17 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,131 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

IF people aren't going to evaluate this channel by watching and commenting on the actual content, rather than going with rumor, innuendo, and insinuations... then this will be a short-lived thread.

As always, and for every channel... watch it if you want, don't if you don't... but theoretically we support free press and welcome other viewpoints.

Even IF the "enemy" has a "biased" channel... it behooves you to give it a look...  "know thine enemy" comes to mind...  Either you'll discover you were wrong in your preconceived notions OR you'll learn something to further your belief.  Seems like a win-win to me.

Well there are those who fear being brainwashed by propaganda. And actually I guess that can be a legitimate fear seeing how some people get all fanboish in the worst possible way when it comes to their choice of news channel. Guess there's no shortage of weak minded people who can't seem to handle anything that isn't delivered in their own worldview or for that matter don't think anyone should get the chance to hear anything different from the way they feel things should be.

• AZ. likes this

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#18 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

Don't like the presentation, reminds me of CNN.... But I will continue to watch and make an "informed judgment"... Now there a contrast....

As of now they haven't told me how to think!

#19 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

Darn, it doesn't look like it is part of my package. I like free speech, but it looks like I have to pay $15 more per month to listen to it. :)

#20 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

But is it real news or faux news?

• DoyleS likes this
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

spam firewall