Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Al Jazeera America is now on DISH

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TimCoh

TimCoh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

I sort of think they could put this New channel in same tier as The Blaze.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

Current TV had placement in AT200 ... it seems natural that AJA has the same placement.
It is not a new channel ... just a 100% format and name change. :)

Both channels are (individually) available a la carte for those who want one channel without the tier.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#23 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 819 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:03 AM

Only watched a little so far but the in-depth story on a school in Cincinnati was quite good.  Hadn't heard this on any other news channel.  Most wouldn't give it the time and some wouldn't cover it because it shows a public school in the inner city succeeding.  

I'll keep the ownership of the channel in mind when I watch it but is it any more biased against America than the BBC sometimes is?

#24 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:05 AM

Is it bias against the US when someone reveals our flaws?  Or do we all want to act like the "Oh, not MY Johnny!" parents when they get told their kid has misbehaved?

I want our flaws revealed.  It's the only way we can improve ourselves.

• tsmacro likes this

#25 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

It's certainly no more biased against us than any non-US based news source.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#26 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

Americans seem to spilt about 51-49 on most of the issues of the day, so I cannot presume that a foreign news outlet that trumpets the "49" side of an issue is anti-American.  Max Keiser on Russia Today spends his entire daily show ridiculing the banksters and the Federal Reserve System.  That channel is owned and paid for by the Russian government.  Are those rantings anti-American?  Most self-proclaimed American Libertarians I know love it.

Edited by AntAltMike, 22 August 2013 - 08:46 AM.

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

I want our flaws revealed.  It's the only way we can improve ourselves.

Revealed but not reveled in. Some channels (not AJ) seem to enjoy the flaws more than saying anything positive about the country. 

Americans seem to spilt about 51-49 on most of the issues of the day, so I cannot presume that a foreign news outlet that trumpets the "49" side of an issue is anti-American.

A balanced news source would trumpet the 51 side as well. Balance is both sides of the story ... not focusing on one side and claiming it to be balanced because "all of the other media is pushing the other side". Balance does not come from separate channels being polar opposites, it comes from channels brave enough to annoy 49-51 percent of their audience by respecting and delivering the other side of the issue.

Max Keiser on Russia Today spends his entire daily show ridiculing the banksters and the Federal Reserve System.

I could get that on CNN ... and still can. Bashing bankers and the fed seems to be fair game.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#28 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,427 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

You know...  I don't want fair and balanced news.  I just want news.  Tell me what happened, let me decide how I feel about it.

• Rduce and CeeWoo like this

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#29 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:56 AM

^^^ The Joe Friday approach ---  "Just the facts, Ma'am".

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#30 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:45 AM

There isn't always two sides to a story.  Sometimes there's one.  Sometimes there's five.  Cover the story.  Don't just set up some talking heads to yell at each other.

Years ago I remember an "Arlo and Janis" cartoon.  The teenage kid is slouched in the couch watching TV.  His father comes up behind him and says "Ok, I give up.  Which one is Beavis and which one is Butthead?"

The kid replies: "Dad...  This is Crossfire on CNN."

#31 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:56 PM

Presenting both or all sides of an issue needs to be done in an non-adversarial way. It is a shame that a Beavis and Butthead can be found on all the major news networks - with the current trend being multiple Beavis and Buttheads shouting the same opinion regardless of the actual issue at hand.

Just the facts gives all the facts ... not just the fax that support one conclusion.

#32 OFFLINE   RMichals

RMichals

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:21 PM

Is anyone that is subscribed to this channel seeing video problems?

I can't read what it says along the top of the screen and the reporters names are cut off a lot of times. I tried on a 222k and a 301 and same problem. 

#33 OFFLINE   jamelar

jamelar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

Darn, it doesn't look like it is part of my package. I like free speech, but it looks like I have to pay $15 more per month to listen to it. :)

I too was hoping it would be part of the basic  (AT120) package as I feel I'm spending enough of my budget  for TV.

In my case, I was a regular viewer of Aljazeera English from Satellite Galaxy 19 ku (G19) in FTA mode. I really was not enthused about an "Americanized" version. When Aljazeera America debuted, the G19 signal went scrambled. In my case, they lost a viewer. If Aljazeera America can negotiate carriage on the AT120 pack, I'll likely start watching again.

I'm a believer in the first amendment, not just for the US, but for everybody. If you can't stand the opinions of a channel, change it! But at least watch it for a bit to see what it is you object to.

BTW, just because a station is carried on Dish / Direct doesn't arbitrarily mean it has to leave or be scrambled on G19. Russia Today is still on G19 in FTA mode and isn't costing Dish a subscriber (me).

#34 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:52 AM

No matter what you think of the channel, the ratings are so low, Nielsen could not even get a fair number to give it :

http://news.yahoo.co...-011007433.html

#35 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

Form the above linked article:

...it's on par with Current's ratings - the channel that AJAM took over averaged 42,000 viewers on an average night in 2012, and it was available in about 60 million homes, according to the New Republic.

PBS got noticed by America when they telecast the Watergate hearings, CNN when they showed us their reporters getting blown around by hurricanes, and ESPN when we insomniacs learned what a "grinder" was in an America's Cup yacht.  If anyone had stumbled onto Al Jazerra's 24-hour contiuous coverage of the Egyptian protests in 2011, they would have been mezmerized

The nascent channel also focused on encouraging demographic information: "We are also extremely pleased with the demographic results from our first week," it said. "The median age of AJ America's viewers is 55 years old." That's younger than CNN, Fox News, MSNBC and HLN.

That's funny, considering that no substantial advertiser even bothers to target 55 year olds.  Remember the advertising campaign slogan: "It's not you dad's Oldsmobile"?  Yeah, right.  It's you dad's Buick.

AJAM also noted that its audience is both better-educated and wealthier than its competitors, with 40 percent having at least four years of college and a median income of $68,100. If it can keep those percentages as it increases its audience, it'll be in a good place...

Unfortunately, that is not a very elastic audience category.  What exactly is the ownership of Al Jazerra trying to accomplish?  With Russia Today, it is owned by the Russian Government and intends to bash the United States in a more even handed and entertaining way than Radio Free Europe proselytizes on behalf of freedom, and I know what Pat Robertson is "selling" on his channel, but what is Al Jazerra "selling"? I think it is trying to sell the notion that there should be an pro-Palestinian position for Americans that does not align us with objectionable factions of Islam, which is a tough sell, because even the Sunni regimes, who we support over the Shiite factions in those countries, are running governments whose human rights practices we regard as objectionable.  I find it hard to imagine that, in today's fractured television market, a well marketed and managed Al Jazerra would ever get more than 100,000 viewers if it is run as a non-American news network that has a pro-Palestinian political perspective.  Will that be enough to stabilize it?  I don't know.  They can improve their ratings by abandoning their mission.

Edited by AntAltMike, 26 September 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#36 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,188 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

That's funny, considering that no substantial advertiser even bothers to target 55 year olds.

Are you kidding me? :scratch:

Depends, man shields, virtually painless catheters, Metamucil, ass-cushions, alert pendants, walk-in bathtubs, reverse mortages, and the senior-targeted ad list goes on and on!

• Rduce likes this

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#37 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

Er?  Ah?  I turn 60 soon and don't even know how to respond to this LOL (but we may differ

on the meaning of 'substantial')

Are you kidding me? :scratch:

Depends, man shields, virtually painless catheters, Metamucil, ass-cushions, alert pendants, walk-in bathtubs, reverse mortages, and the senior-targeted ad list goes on and on!

Edited by CeeWoo, 30 August 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

Is anyone that is subscribed to this channel seeing video problems?

I can't read what it says along the top of the screen and the reporters names are cut off a lot of times. I tried on a 222k and a 301 and same problem. 

I've noticed that on my old tube TVs, some of the text is cut off and the ticker is almost unreadable.  This is nothing that Dish or any other provider can control.  AJ places text right up against the edge of the screen and doesn't seem to allow for a traditional "Safe Area" for placing text on their screen.  Newer TVs shouldn't have much of a problem with the text around the edges.  You could try to complain to AJ.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#39 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

I have been watching AJ English occasionally OTA from WNVC in Fairfax, VA, when I can receive it, and I feel more informed in 15 minutes than I do in 1 hour of watching CNN.  I feel the same way about CCTV News.  You should always consider the ownership when watching any news because all of it is biased to some degree.  Fox is owned by News Corp, CNN is owned by AOL/Netscape/Time-Life/Warner/Turner, CCTV is owned by the Chinese government, RT is owned by the Russian government, and AJ is owned by the Emir of Qatar.

BTW, they took AJ English off of WNVC when they launched AJ America and you can no longer stream AJ English from the US.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#40 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:04 AM

I've noticed that on my old tube TVs, some of the text is cut off and the ticker is almost unreadable.

Oddly enough, even some modern flat panels come from the factory set to "overscan" by a small amount, though this is easily corrected by setting the picture format/size to "exact" or "pixel fit" or something like that. Even on tube TVs, there was sometimes an overscanning control though it was usually well-hidden on a service menu.

spam firewall