Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Relationship of Genie to Genie Client

Best Answer texasbrit , 21 August 2013 - 05:48 AM

The settings on the Genie and client are independent of each other. So you can have the Genie at 480i and the clients at 1080i.

I am not surprised SD looks terrible on an old 53in TV.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

Um, the $10k 480p Philips plasma i hung in my store many many years ago would disagree with ya a bit. :). They actually all started out at that res, then when they finally could do Hi Definition ones the Ed ones dropped big time in price.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

That was probably when an HD plasma TV ran $15-20k.  I remember when they first came out, our Circuit City and Best Buy stores refused to carry them in the store or display them because they were so expensive and they were afraid they would get broken.  They were special order only.  There was one local furniture/electronics store that had one on display and I was not impressed with it at all, my HD ready CRT looked much better.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,330 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

I remember when I installed the first  HD TV in the NY Best Buy stores.  It was a 50" Phillips/Magnavoz plasma with a price tag of $14,999. insane!!!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#23 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

Insane?? I thought that was Crazy Eddie's tag?!! :) 

Are they still around? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#24 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,330 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

Nope, now the TVs with that price tag or higher are the 4K TVs, which in 3 years will be making fun because they will be around the same prices as an "smart" LED today

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#25 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,041 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

That was probably when an HD plasma TV ran $15-20k. I remember when they first came out, our Circuit City and Best Buy stores refused to carry them in the store or display them because they were so expensive and they were afraid they would get broken. They were special order only. There was one local furniture/electronics store that had one on display and I was not impressed with it at all, my HD ready CRT looked much better.

worked for good guys if you know who that was and this was before you really had HDTV flat panels. ;)

Only some of our stores displayed the expensive ones but we did in the ones it made sense too. Even the 20k ones when they came out.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#26 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,420 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

OK, since this thread is still going on.

My friend just left my house and she swears that the text in the Guide on her husbands 40" Sony LED TV is smaller than on my 37" Vizio LCD.

They are running a Genie HR44 and I am running an HR24.

Can anyone tell me if their is a difference in the size of the Font from one machine / software  to the other ?

Thanks in advance.

PS: For now she is going to Turn on the old TV and let it warm up for 30 minutes and then press the Flash Focus and let it do it's thing and see if that fixes her blurry text.

If that does not fix it we will try the component cables on it to see what it does on her old TV.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#27 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

My friend just left my house and she swears that the text in the Guide on her husbands 40" Sony LED TV is smaller than on my 37" Vizio LCD.

Can anyone tell me if their is a difference in the size of the Font from one machine / software  to the other ?

Thanks in advance.

PS: For now she is going to Turn on the old TV and let it warm up for 30 minutes and then press the Flash Focus and let it do it's thing and see if that fixes her blurry text.

If that does not fix it we will try the component cables on it to see what it does on her old TV.

No, the fonts should be the same size;

Though she could have been watching an SD channel where the size of the guide was be reduced down to 4:3 causing the smaller looking fonts. 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#28 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,420 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:14 PM

No, the fonts should be the same size;

Though she could have been watching an SD channel where the size of the guide was be reduced down to 4:3 causing the smaller looking fonts. 

On my HR24 the font sizes do not change with the different resolutions.

I did not think they has made the text smaller or there would have been an outcry about it on the forum.

Thanks

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#29 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:28 PM

On my HR24 the font sizes do not change with the different resolutions.

I did not think they has made the text smaller or there would have been an outcry about it on the forum.

Thanks

That wasn't what I meant;

When viewing an SD channel the actual size of the guide, channel banner, menu, etc, in the horizontal dimension on an HDTV can shrink down from 16:9 to 4:3 along with the picture causing the graphics and text to become both smaller and squeezed as well.

Now there are display settings in the receiver that can be used to prevent this from happening (In fact i use them myself), but your friends may not be aware of them.

i'm not saying this is what definitely happened to cause your friend to claim the text were smaller on her husband's HDTV, but could have.   

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#30 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:22 PM

Can anyone tell me if their is a difference in the size of the Font from one machine / software to the other ?

Thanks in advance.

Component compared to composite will be a large difference even if it is only 480i. There is no reason to be using composite when a component connection is possible.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#31 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,420 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:50 AM

My friend had to work Sunday and very late so we did not have much time to look and talk about her TV.

What I had her do first was to :  As soon as she got home to turn on the old TV so it could warm up. She cooked supper and they ate and then she pushed the "Flash Focus" button on the front of the TV. She said she thinks that they had never pushed that button before because they did not know what it was for.

She says it is a lot better and she can read the guide from her couch and does not have to get up and walk to within 3 or 4 feet to read it.

Yeah.

I will get her a set of component cables today and have her come by here to pick them up. I showed her the picture of the back of her TV and showed her where to plug them and the button to press to change the Input. When she gets those plugged in I will step her through how to view the HD channels in the Letterbox format on her TV. From my calculations she should have the equivalent size of a 46" HD TV  on her 53" SD TV.

It will probably be this weekend before she will connect them.

#32 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

Oh, my. I didn't realize her set was SD. No wonder it's hard to read, esp. out of focus. Well done, jimmie!

#33 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,420 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

Oh, my. I didn't realize her set was SD. No wonder it's hard to read, esp. out of focus. Well done, jimmie!

Thanks.

I just got back from the store and I picked her up a set of component cables. I think when she gets these hooked up she will be happy.

They do make a noticeable difference on my 20" CRT vs the yellow wire for video.

Edited by jimmie57, 26 August 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#34 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

Any chance she can afford a couple of hundred for a small HD set? It'd be worth it! (well, for many)

#35 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,398 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

32" sets are going for $99. . . probably the power savings would pay for it in a year.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#36 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,420 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

Any chance she can afford a couple of hundred for a small HD set? It'd be worth it! (well, for many)

She has measured the space and she is saving for a new 55" when she gets enough saved.

It is in a large room and the TV is 14 feet from the couch she sits on.

Edited by jimmie57, 26 August 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#37 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

Well, that's good! Too far away unless the eyesight is young. Me, I'd rather have a 32" set now than bigger later. Screen real estate is often over emphasized, but to each their own.

#38 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,420 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

My friend picked up the component cables yesterday. This morning she plugged them in without taking out the yellow cable. the DTV box switched to 480p and her TV only does 480i. Needless to say the picture was a mess and she now had no sound.

I went to her house. By the time I got there she had removed all the cables and thought she plugged it back in like it was. She hadn't.

I had to search for what went where because she had an AVR and  a VCR also that were there and a pair of external speakers.

When I got it hooked up using the component cables there was no sound. If I turned on the speakers in the TV there was sound.

I decided to hook it back up like it was. The instant I pulled the red cable from the component set of red, blue and green the external speakers started to work. Very strange. I went into her TV menu and settings and changed everything in it that could be changed and no sound except from the TV speakers.

The picture was much better , according to her, but she wanted her external speakers to work.

At this point I gave up and hooked it back up using the composite cables and then adjusted her picture settings.

It does look better but it is still poo poo for a picture. She said they bought it in 2000.

I adjusted her husbands HD TV also. Yep, it was set to torch mode. As soon as I switched it to Standard mode he said he could read the text in the Guide.

Edited by jimmie57, 08 September 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#39 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,041 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

Wonder if it was the wrong red cable and that it was video into audio or something.

#40 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,420 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

Wonder if it was the wrong red cable and that it was video into audio or something.

The instant I pulled the red from the component set of connections the picture went out and the sound came on.

When I pulled the red one from the Audio connector the sound went out.

She called me last night at about 9 pm and told me that her TV made a pop and all it does now is the little red light that flashes when you first turn it on flashes and never stops.

Earlier in the day she said the AC was making a popping noise and quit working. It is right outside of the room where the TV is located.

I told her that the AC man could check the electricity but it sounded like her AC to her house was too high and causing problems.

I have not heard from her today.

spam firewall