Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Google, NFL meeting reportedly includes Sunday Ticket discussions

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:13 AM

Google, NFL meeting reportedly includes Sunday Ticket discussions

In the least surprising news of the week, as DirecTV's rights to the vaunted NFL Sunday Ticket package come close to their 2014 expiration date, rumors of who else may bid for them are starting and Google is right at the top. According to AllThingsD, league officials met with the internet giant today and among many topics, the package of rights to air all of the league's games to out of market viewers came up. 

As suggested, the folks in Mountain View (and several other companies we can all think of) can certainly afford the reported $1 billion DirecTV has been paying -- and YouTube has already shelled out to stream sports in the US and around the world -- but whether or not the NFL would actually sell to them is still in question.

What's kept the NFL from selling the package in a different way -- explained by league officials as "really in the consumer's best interest" -- so far is a fear that other networks like CBS and Fox would want to pay less to broadcast those games. 

With billions at stake we'd be extremely surprised to see the status quo actually change, so while anything is possible your best bet without satellite is probably still a copy of Madden NFL 25 Anniversary Edition.

directv-sundayticket-gamemix.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:42 AM

I hope Google makes this happen, it would mean anyone could watch with an account and high speed connection. And the way to keep it straight for the networks would be local blackouts from the ticket. 

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#3 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

I hope the NFL does explore different options.

Their discussions with Google might bode well for Google TVs future in addition to their fledgling fiber TV business if they can partner with them.

One has to wonder if the NFL is seriously considering broadening availability across multiple spectrums, regardless of how much DirecTV is willing to pay for future exclusive rights?

#4 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

I hope the NFL does explore different options.

Their discussions with Google might bode well for Google TVs future in addition to their fledgling fiber TV business if they can partner with them.

One has to wonder if the NFL is seriously considering broadening availability across multiple spectrums, regardless of how much DirecTV is willing to pay for future exclusive rights?

I would guess Google could match anything DirecTV proposed. I wouldn't mind NetFlix getting involved in the bidding war as well.

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#5 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 535 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:13 AM

this would never will happen! the NFL doesn't want ST on multiple platforms, if everyone get it less people will buy tickets to games because football is better on tv, you can see that in NY

#6 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

Never say never in my opinion. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Besides, wider viewership will mean nothing in regards to stadium attendance as that game is broadcasted locally anyways.

#7 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

What's kept the NFL from selling the package in a different way -- explained by league officials as "really in the consumer's best interest"

LOL!  :rolling:  :rolling:  :rolling:

#8 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

this would never will happen! the NFL doesn't want ST on multiple platforms, if everyone get it less people will buy tickets to games because football is better on tv, you can see that in NY

I don't see NFL Sunday Ticket lowering ticket sales, even if everyone could buy it.  Because NFL Sunday Ticket only gives you access to out-of-market games.  Your home team's games are (provided they sell out) always on free television (NFL Network and ESPN broadcasts are simulcast on a broadcast station.)  So either you believe that a lot of people are traveling in excess of 100 miles to watch a game because it's not on television, or you believe that if people have fewer choices in which games they can see, they'd be more likely to travel to watch the home team play.  I don't believe either of these groups makes up a significant portion of the NFL's revenues.

NFL Sunday Ticket, however, does increase the popularity of the NFL while providing the NFL with a significant source of revenue.  It's a win-win and the only reason they gave an exclusive deal to DirecTV in the past is because they believed they'd get more money by making it "exclusive" to one provider.  And DirecTV has been more than happy to give large chunks of their subscribers' money to the NFL because they believe they'll get enough customers to subscribe simply to get NFL Sunday Ticket.

• pdxBeav likes this

#9 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

Thats a wierd graphic pic as far as not making sense to legit kickoff times.

How can there be 7 mins left in the 2nd qtr in the saints game yet the jets game has only 7 mins left in the 3rd qtr ?

Redzone rules !!

Edited by dcowboy7, 21 August 2013 - 09:18 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

I hope Google makes this happen, it would mean anyone could watch with an account and high speed connection. And the way to keep it straight for the networks would be local blackouts from the ticket. 

I agree with you buddy. That would be awesome.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#11 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

In the past the NFL has wanted to limit distribution to some extent, as to not affect the billions they receive from Fox and CBS.  Their marriage with DirecTV works perfectly in that regard.  Will be interesting to see if they want to change that philosophy.

Sandra

#12 OFFLINE   CincySaint

CincySaint

AllStar

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

So what's Google's business model for ST?  Give it away on You Tube?   How does that help them?    That $1+ billion has to have some return for them.   I don't see how it fits into their offerings.

#13 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

Google actually has a burgeoning fiber business, with TV, Internet and phone service available in a few select cities, with more to come.

However, their real target is probably GoogleTV, Google's answer to AppleTV.

If I think about this more, Google and Apple TV might make for an excellent partner or partners.

It would give these platforms huge lifts and wouldn't be tied down to one satellite carrier or cable systems, which are really fragmented, especially if you live out in the boon docks and stuck with your old legacy cable company.

If you can get broadband, you can get "Sunday Ticket"!

Edited by Bambler, 21 August 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

So what's Google's business model for ST?  Give it away on You Tube?   How does that help them?    That $1+ billion has to have some return for them.   I don't see how it fits into their offerings.

You would subscribe like you can with Willow TV as a ticket to Cricket on youtube

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#15 OFFLINE   CincySaint

CincySaint

AllStar

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

Thanks good thoughts.   I wasn't familiar with Willow TV so that's an obvious model to follow in terms of technical distribution.   And yes I'm sure Google would like to do something to jump start Google TV which hasn't exactly been a success.

I see several characteristics that Google shares with D* that make them a better fit than cable:

* National distribution -- cable would have to have a cooperative of MSOs

* Available bandwidth -- again an issue for cable

* Limited penetration -- yes, this is not a negative.   Many of us believe the NFL wants to be careful not to alienate their broadcast partners so moving from one small distributor (D* 30 million homes) to a hunger upstart like Google makes sense

Google actually has a burgeoning fiber business, with TV, Internet and phone service available in a few select cities, with more to come.

However, their real target is probably GoogleTV, Google's answer to AppleTV.

If I think about this more, Google and Apple TV might make for an excellent partner or partners.

It would give these platforms huge lifts and wouldn't be tied down to one satellite carrier or cable systems, which are really fragmented, especially if you live out in the boon docks and stuck with your old legacy cable company.

If you can get broadband, you can get "Sunday Ticket"!

You would subscribe like you can with Willow TV as a ticket to Cricket on youtube

#16 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

The NFL is surely not a "dumb" business they have let it be known they are meeting with Google.  I am sure down the street in Cupertino and Sunnyvale two other well known tech companies will be asking for their meeting with the NFL group and a team in Redmond WA that just signed a deal with the NFL will also be looking for a way to lock in with the NFL on a program.  I could see the NFL splitting the TV package and possibly the streaming package into two different programs.  Wouldn't Apple/Google/Microsoft love to say "you can only stream the NFL on iOS, Android, Windows/Xbox." 

You also have to wonder if Amazon and Netflix might try to get into the mix, they both have well built streaming platforms as well....

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

I wouldn't mind NetFlix getting involved in the bidding war as well.

I can't imagine what part of Netflix lends itself in any meaningful way to doing live TV casting.

Edited by harsh, 21 August 2013 - 12:40 PM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#18 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

also how do they plan to have that work for commercial use? DSL does not have the bandwidth for 4+ games at the same time much less 8-15 games do over lap. Cable ISP's will not want this and T1 way to slow.

The Google fiber box can Record up to 8 shows but can it have 8 tv boxs hooked to it? what about places that need to show all games live (do to over lap it's over 8 + other sports needs?)

Edited by JoeTheDragon, 21 August 2013 - 12:57 PM.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#19 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

You ask me this is just a ploy by the NFL to drive up the package price. If the NFL doesnt be careful this stategy could backfire. I think and hope the package stays with D* though.

Sent from my Raider Nation using my S4.

• CincySaint likes this
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#20 OFFLINE   CincySaint

CincySaint

AllStar

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

I can't see the NFL forcing consumers to pick a technology to see their games.   Yes, I know D* is a technology choice but to think that people are going to buy a iMac to watch Sunday Ticket is a stretch.

I could see the NFL splitting the TV package and possibly the streaming package into two different programs.  Wouldn't Apple/Google/Microsoft love to say "you can only stream the NFL on iOS, Android, Windows/Xbox." 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...