Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Google, NFL meeting reportedly includes Sunday Ticket discussions

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

I can't imagine what part of Netflix lends itself in any meaningful way to doing live TV casting.

NetFlix sports is coming, wait and see

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

also how do they plan to have that work for commercial use? DSL does not have the bandwidth for 4+ games at the same time much less 8-15 games do over lap. Cable ISP's will not want this and T1 way to slow.

The NHL, MLB and NBA do it now, why couldn't the NFL?

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#23 OFFLINE   Riverpilot

Riverpilot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

I certainly hope it doesn't become an on-line only option, or those only with Google TV. Data caps are becoming a normal occurence with internet providers.

#24 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

I certainly hope it doesn't become an on-line only option, or those only with Google TV. Data caps are becoming a normal occurence with internet providers.

You bring up a good point, although a lot of cable companies offer streaming IPTV services as part of their packages, so you have wonder how far they are willing to go before they start hurting themselves?

Google's fiber service is unlimited I believe, albeit it's just in Kansas City and Austin for now. Comcast really doesn't have overt restrictions, although I heard they might resurrect them.

I think if IPTV becomes the norm, and broadband actually penetrates enough where there is more competition, one would surmise that, once one provider moves towards unlimited data packages, others will follow suit.

#25 ONLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,348 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

I hope Google makes this happen, it would mean anyone could watch with an account and high speed connection. And the way to keep it straight for the networks would be local blackouts from the ticket. 

Not everyone has it setup to watch games streamed from the PC to their TV.  I for one, only want to watch games on my iPad or phone when I have to.  I do not have a setup for the ability to stream from my laptop to my TV currently.  I prefer it with an actual TV provider myself.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#26 ONLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

Chromecast.

#27 ONLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,348 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

I don't see NFL Sunday Ticket lowering ticket sales, even if everyone could buy it.  Because NFL Sunday Ticket only gives you access to out-of-market games.  Your home team's games are (provided they sell out) always on free television (NFL Network and ESPN broadcasts are simulcast on a broadcast station.)  So either you believe that a lot of people are traveling in excess of 100 miles to watch a game because it's not on television, or you believe that if people have fewer choices in which games they can see, they'd be more likely to travel to watch the home team play.  I don't believe either of these groups makes up a significant portion of the NFL's revenues.

NFL Sunday Ticket, however, does increase the popularity of the NFL while providing the NFL with a significant source of revenue.  It's a win-win and the only reason they gave an exclusive deal to DirecTV in the past is because they believed they'd get more money by making it "exclusive" to one provider.  And DirecTV has been more than happy to give large chunks of their subscribers' money to the NFL because they believe they'll get enough customers to subscribe simply to get NFL Sunday Ticket.

You are missing a huge piece of the puzzle here.  Since we are talking about the viewership of out of market games, what happens when everyone in every market has the right to NOT watch a local game?  If you had a choice to pick the best matchup of the week or just what your local channels are offering, which would you choose?  Local channels would lose viewers and while that has nothing to do with the attendance at the stadium it does affect how much money broadcasters can ask for, for commercials that air during the NFL games that they would be losing viewers on.

HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#28 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

GoogleTV offers a $35 HDMI plugin (wireless) for your TV, while AppleTV costs $100 bucks. I got two AppleTVs, I love them both and they work through my TV.

Pretty cheap if you think about it.

#29 ONLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,348 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

Google actually has a burgeoning fiber business, with TV, Internet and phone service available in a few select cities, with more to come.

However, their real target is probably GoogleTV, Google's answer to AppleTV.

If I think about this more, Google and Apple TV might make for an excellent partner or partners.

It would give these platforms huge lifts and wouldn't be tied down to one satellite carrier or cable systems, which are really fragmented, especially if you live out in the boon docks and stuck with your old legacy cable company.

If you can get broadband, you can get "Sunday Ticket"!

And if you can't or want to watch the games on your TV but can't, then you are just out of luck?

Sony KDL-46HX800

#30 ONLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,348 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

also how do they plan to have that work for commercial use? DSL does not have the bandwidth for 4+ games at the same time much less 8-15 games do over lap. Cable ISP's will not want this and T1 way to slow.

The Google fiber box can Record up to 8 shows but can it have 8 tv boxs hooked to it? what about places that need to show all games live (do to over lap it's over 8 + other sports needs?)

Not to mention 3-7 hours of HD games every sunday that would count against the cap with each of our internet service providers?  Thanks but no thanks.

Sony KDL-46HX800

#31 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

I guess if you are unwilling to buy one of those devices (provided this actually does happen) or unwilling to setup a system that can stream from your PC or Mac, then yes, unfortunately it would be unavailable to you.

#32 ONLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,348 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

You bring up a good point, although a lot of cable companies offer streaming IPTV services as part of their packages, so you have wonder how far they are willing to go before they start hurting themselves?

Google's fiber service is unlimited I believe, albeit it's just in Kansas City and Austin for now. Comcast really doesn't have overt restrictions, although I heard they might resurrect them.

I think if IPTV becomes the norm, and broadband actually penetrates enough where there is more competition, one would surmise that, once one provider moves towards unlimited data packages, others will follow suit.

Not to mention, the FCC just sent a report to be reviewed about IPTV getting away with not paying the same fees that cable and Satellite Companies do.  The inference was IPTV should have to pay the same fees.  You add those fees in and more caps from internet service providers and this gets to be a big mess really really fast.

Sony KDL-46HX800

#33 ONLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

Streaming would allow for local commercials to be inserted for all games.

#34 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

These people are smart. They understand the more they dilute the product the cheaper the product gets. If something as large and expensive as the NFL hit the IPTV market you would see some drastic changes in IPTV that people would scream about. 

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#35 ONLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,348 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

Streaming would allow for local commercials to be inserted for all games.

I could still see that being a problem.  It works now for stations because its their site they allow the streaming from.  I dont have HULU but how do they do it?

Sony KDL-46HX800

#36 ONLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,348 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

These people are smart. They understand the more they dilute the product the cheaper the product gets. If something as large and expensive as the NFL hit the IPTV market you would see some drastic changes in IPTV that people would scream about. 

I agree.  It might take a couple of years but it would start going down the tubes.

Sony KDL-46HX800

#37 ONLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

I could still see that being a problem.  It works now for stations because its their site they allow the streaming from.  I dont have HULU but how do they do it?

They are smart, they can figure out how to insert local commercials if that's what's required.

#38 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

I can't imagine what part of Netflix lends itself in any meaningful way to doing live TV casting.

Netflix annual content budget is 2B.  ST is too rich for its blood.

Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#39 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

I agree.  It might take a couple of years but it would start going down the tubes.

I think it's going to take an IPTV provider (not U-Verse or FIOS) to start requiring GPS chips in their devices before anything like this can happen.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#40 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

I can't see the NFL forcing consumers to pick a technology to see their games.   Yes, I know D* is a technology choice but to think that people are going to buy a iMac to watch Sunday Ticket is a stretch.

That's why these tech companies could/would be willing to pay big money for the content though.  You could just about force someone to buy into your "ecosystem" if they planned to watch out of market NFL games.  The only company that isn't set up what way currently is Yahoo...but I would imagine that'd change if they were to buy into the NFL. 

If your Microsoft and your phone/tablet sales are sagging compared to the rest of the market what could you do to increase that?  "Microsoft signs The NFL,"  then  runs some Nat'l ads stating you can watch out of market games on Xbox/Surface/Windows phones, I would guess the Microsoft stores and the Best Buy/Microsoft locations would be packed with fans going "how can I watch XXXX team play?" It's why both DirecTV and Verizon have been paying the NFL what they do. 

There really isn't anything else out there that can/would drive customers in large #s to your product like the NFL and the ability to watch your favorite out of market team play.

spam firewall