Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Netflix's new 'My List' replaces queues, lets users worldwide bookmark their favorites

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,571 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:10 AM

Netflix's new 'My List' replaces queues, lets users worldwide bookmark their favorites

Netflix's Watch Instantly streaming service in the US started with the same queue-based experience users were familiar with from its disc-by-mail rentals for bookmarking titles to watch later, but internationally the option has never existed. Now the experience is changing everywhere, as Netflix replaces the old queues with "My List." 

The selection process is mostly the same as we've come to expect, with a "+ My List" button single click adding it to the list of up to 500 items in each user's profile. My List should pop up on individual accounts over the next couple of weeks.

Instead of remaining in a static queue (or suffering entirely random changes) Netflix is applying its algorithms to users lists, automatically sorting each one by what it believes people will want to watch next. If you're committed to the DIY method then it can be disabled in favor of manual sorting. 

If you don't want to use My Lists at all, it will just drop lower in the usual rows of content and eventually disappear entirely. One other tweak...........

us-my-list.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

"Netflix is applying its algorithms to users lists, automatically sorting each one by what it believes people will want to watch next."

Sigh. Just what I need, another algorithm thinking for me.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:14 PM

Guess it doesn't make a lot of difference to me until they start rolling out user profiles on embedded devices. Even then, I usually ignore Netflix's recommendations.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:55 AM

I like the new profiles option they added a few weeks ago, I live by my self and still had a huge queue list. So I created 5 profiles "TV 50's to 80's", "TV 90's to today", "Movies", "Sports" and "Zombie".

But I really don't get this new My List thing, I preferred the old queue much better.

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

I like the new profiles option they added a few weeks ago, I live by my self and still had a huge queue list. So I created 5 profiles "TV 50's to 80's", "TV 90's to today", "Movies", "Sports" and "Zombie".

But I really don't get this new My List thing, I preferred the old queue much better.

It basically is the queue, however, it will re-sort the list according to what you have been watching and try to figure out what you might want to watch next. You can just disable that if you want.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#6 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

It basically is the queue, however, it will re-sort the list according to what you have been watching and try to figure out what you might want to watch next. You can just disable that if you want.

- Merg

Thanks, I will give it a chance to grow on me

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

- Merg

I just got it this morning on my laptop.  Be nice to see some action on my BD players now.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,275 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

"Netflix is applying its algorithms to users lists, automatically sorting each one by what it believes people will want to watch next."

Sigh. Just what I need, another algorithm thinking for me.

You think this is new?

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

My BD players finally got the My List.

Rich 

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

My BD players finally got the My List.

Rich

How about your Panasonic TVs?

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

How about your Panasonic TVs?

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

I don't use my one "Smart" Panny to stream, so I had to activate the NF account to find out.  Nothing but the old format.  I don't use it because I can't get 5.1 sound.  Not so "Smart", or am I once again doing something wrong?

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

I don't have a home theater setup, so my TV is what I use, although I've been using the Apple TV now for Netflix since it has the Profiles.

- Merg

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

I don't have a home theater setup, so my TV is what I use, although I've been using the Apple TV now for Netflix since it has the Profiles.

- Merg

One of the few issues I have with Panny plasmas is their sound systems.  I do use sound systems, but for the 50" unit I have in the MB...well, I tried to use it without a sound system but had a hard time hearing conversations.  My wife was adamant about not having another "earth shattering" sound system in that room, so I bought that Sammy all in one sound system that included a BD player, thinking that it wouldn't bother her as much.  

Don't you have a problem with conversations getting overridden by the rest of the speakers on the TV?  I think I might have the same model you have in the MB.

Rich 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...