Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Would Dish consider carrying more Sirrius/XM?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JTG

JTG

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

When working out in my shop I regularly switch the TV out there to one of the Sirrius/XM music channels. Deep Tracks, Classic Vinyl, etc.I have a TV with a headphone jack, and ran cable through the wall over to my reciever and plugged into a set of "audio in" ports and get nice stereo music. This is great for me since there are no decent FM signals available where I live, and cell service is spotty so using Pandora or Iheart isn't a good option either.

I wonder if Dish has ever considered a deeper alliance with Sirrius/XM, where they would carry more of the channels, the talk radio stuff etc. It seems like this would be a win win for both.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

I agree. I would be willing to pay a fee for the full Sirius/XM lineup on Dish. That would let me drop my home subscription, and I could listen in more than one room.

#3 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

I would pay a reasonable amount to duplicate my vehicle Sirius package on my DISH receiver.  It would really be great.  

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

The rights for something like live talk radio are probably a difficult issue to negotiate. It is one thing to do it for a single service but it is another can of worms entirely when that service is also engaged in reselling the content.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

The question becomes whether or not the cost of a talk version of Sirius would be nearly as expensive as a Sirius subscription.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

I see almost 100. 

Show me another provider that has 100 channels on Dish.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,265 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

There are 73 SiriusXM Music channels on DISH.

The talk channels might be popular ... they certainly would be at additional cost. I'd say about the cost of the "Sirius News, Sports & Talk" package ($9.99). Such a subscription on DISH would be all receivers on an account (no additional receiver fee). It would be giving up revenue for exposure. And the $9.99 package does not include the premium talk channels ... so perhaps DISH would need to charge more.

I can't see them allowing Sirius channels that duplicate video channels ... so the news and sports channels probably would not be carried or would need to be blacked out when they air conflicting events. After filtering through the channels to see what would be left there would not be very many channels.

I don't see SiriusXM talk coming to DISH.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

When working out in my shop I regularly switch the TV out there to one of the Sirrius/XM music channels. Deep Tracks, Classic Vinyl, etc.I have a TV with a headphone jack, and ran cable through the wall over to my reciever and plugged into a set of "audio in" ports and get nice stereo music. This is great for me since there are no decent FM signals available where I live, and cell service is spotty so using Pandora or Iheart isn't a good option either.

I wonder if Dish has ever considered a deeper alliance with Sirrius/XM, where they would carry more of the channels, the talk radio stuff etc. It seems like this would be a win win for both.

It won't happen. I would like  it also.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#9 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

I don't know if it would happen, but as already posted there are obstacles. I think the real answer is would DISH consider the effort to try and overcome the obstacles, along with more bandwidth used (however little that may be) to be worth it in the end, either with more subscribers (very unlikely) or more revenue.

Edited by tampa8, 22 August 2013 - 10:58 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   JTG

JTG

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

Well it sounds like there is some interest in it, but not much chance of it happening. That isn't a surprise but doesn't cause me a great deal of misery either, thanks for the feedback.

#11 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

Talk channels use a minimum of bandwidth, plus they also run advertisements.  I don't know why Sirius would  mind giving away the product to reach a larger audience for the ads.

#12 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:15 AM

There's more money in a paying subscription than in advertiser dollars.  If they give away too much, people won't sign up for the paying service.

I, for one, applaud this.  Since just around the time of the merge, I haven't noticed an increase in commercials on the original talk channels.

#13 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

There are 73 SiriusXM Music channels on DISH.

The talk channels might be popular ... they certainly would be at additional cost. I'd say about the cost of the "Sirius News, Sports & Talk" package ($9.99). Such a subscription on DISH would be all receivers on an account (no additional receiver fee). It would be giving up revenue for exposure. And the $9.99 package does not include the premium talk channels ... so perhaps DISH would need to charge more.

I can't see them allowing Sirius channels that duplicate video channels ... so the news and sports channels probably would not be carried or would need to be blacked out when they air conflicting events. After filtering through the channels to see what would be left there would not be very many channels.

I don't see SiriusXM talk coming to DISH.

Most of the talk & Sports channels are copyrighted.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#14 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 301 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

#15 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

Actually Dish already carries more Sirius channels than what is broadcast on the Sirius satellites!  Some of the Spanish language channels at the end of the Sirius list are internet only to Sirius subscribers.

I recently purchased a new car with a 6 month Sirius trial.  The music channels sometimes sound terrible in the car (due to bandwidth compression).  The same music on Dish sound 100X better.

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#16 OFFLINE   Lou

Lou

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

While DISH offers non-standard Spanish stations, DISH goes as far as to purge standard French stations.  As someone who lived in the North (Upstate NY & Ohio), there is virtually no Spanish speaking population present there…not so much as one Spanish radio station in these markets.  I travel to Canada on business often and have come to enjoy French stations.  Why does DISH offer services for our neighbors to our South but not for our neighbors to our North.  I know the North East has a sizable French population, not to mention Louisiana. Why the discrimination?

#17 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:40 AM

Well, take my area - I live in Southern NH.  We had a sizeable French-Canadian population that used to live mostly around Library and French Hills.  Now, the French-Canadians that are left live in nursing homes and the formerly French areas are now home to Hispanics and South Americans.  Nashua NH is, as of 2010, 21% minority, almost half of them Latino/Hispanic (6.5% Asian and 2+% African American make up most of the rest).

When I moved to the area in 1974, almost all foreign language classes were French - now they're mostly Spanish.  There were no Brazilian eateries - now there are a few.  You could get by in certain areas of Nashua speaking only French.  Now it's nonexistant and many store signs are in Spanish. 

At least until the 1980s, the cable system carried CKSH, a french Language SRC (French CBC) channel from Sherbrooke.  Checking the listings online, it seems it's no longer carried but *many* Spanish-language channels are.

This is all in a town built on textile and shoe mills populated by French Canadian immigrants in the 1800s.  And this is all just 200 miles (via I-89 and the Everett Turnpike) from the border with Quebec.

It's simple demographics.

#18 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

While DISH offers non-standard Spanish stations, DISH goes as far as to purge standard French stations.  As someone who lived in the North (Upstate NY & Ohio), there is virtually no Spanish speaking population present there…not so much as one Spanish radio station in these markets.  I travel to Canada on business often and have come to enjoy French stations.  Why does DISH offer services for our neighbors to our South but not for our neighbors to our North.  I know the North East has a sizable French population, not to mention Louisiana. Why the discrimination?

HUGE assumption to think DISH, a TV provider, can carry those French channels.

Edited by tampa8, 11 September 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   Lou

Lou

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:52 PM

You miss the point, Terrestrial Radio is all about demographics but that isn’t what Satellite Radio is about.  Satellite offers variety and options.  And I guess I am making an assumption.  Given that French stations are a part of the Basic Satellite radio package, I assume they are available for DISH to transmit.  So either DISH is editing out stations that are paid for or…I guess I would like to understand what ruling party isn’t allowing the French stations from being transmitted while allowing the Spanish stations to be broadcast. I continue to feel that we only have 2 neighbors and we should treat them the same.      

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,265 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:17 AM

DISH has a contract with SiriusXM to retransmit the channels they are retransmitting. No more, no less.
Blame them both?

Carriage on DISH started out as carriage of Sirus (before the merger) ... here is a list of Sirius music channels:
http://www.siriusxm....sbestofxm/music

Of the 10 Spanish channels carried by DISH as 6090 to 6099 (99-90 to 99-99 on Hopper/Joey) four of them are available via satellite and six are available online. One satellite channel is not carried by DISH.

It appears that there are 6 Canadian channels that are music (DISH does not carry talk stations). I do not have the Canadian stations on my Sirius subscription (nor the Spanish stations) so I do not know which would be considered "French". But even SiriusXM acnowledges the priority ... placing Spanish language and Canadian stations in the "Latino & World" category on their website.

Latino is a major culture in the United States and DISH offers several television programming packages for the Latino community. They do not (and in general cannot) offer television programming packages for Canadians. (They do offer French programming via international services but that is France French, which includes radio from France, not Canadian-French. The SiriusXM channels seem like a natural extension of DISH Latino programming. There is no Canadian programming package to extend.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...