Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Would Dish consider carrying more Sirrius/XM?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 831 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:46 AM

Never mind more, how about improving quality of what they have?  I listen to Sirius on Dish quite a bit.  Sometimes the audio isn't the best but yesterday the contrast was really obvious.  I was listening a Springsteen concert on E Street Radio in my car.  Arriving home I wanted to hear the rest of it so I immediately turned on the A/V receiver and my Dish 622.  What had been a full audio spectrum, rich sounding event in the car was a poor quality limited spectrum sound in the home.  My home audio is a high level A/V receiver using optical output from the 622 and feeding a 5 speakers and a 140 watt powered subwoofer. Believe me, this system can give great audio from FM, TV, or DVD.  The E Street Radio source was probably a bootleg but it was a high quality bootleg.  There should not have been such a large degradation in audio quality unless it was being adversely affected by the way Dish handles the signal and re-transmits it.  I've heard bootleg concerts that were unlistenable on Dish and always blamed the quality of the source.  Now if I really want to hear the concert I'm going to go listen in the car.  And I now have Sirius direct on the computer so I may also check that feed too, although there the speakers aren't terribly good.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

You miss the point, Terrestrial Radio is all about demographics but that isn’t what Satellite Radio is about.  Satellite offers variety and options.  And I guess I am making an assumption.  Given that French stations are a part of the Basic Satellite radio package, I assume they are available for DISH to transmit.  So either DISH is editing out stations that are paid for or…I guess I would like to understand what ruling party isn’t allowing the French stations from being transmitted while allowing the Spanish stations to be broadcast. I continue to feel that we only have 2 neighbors and we should treat them the same.  

Dish is NOT a radio provider. Very different rules and regs. I still say you are jumping over that fact. Being in the basic radio package may mean nothing to being sent over TV satellite. It may be that Dish does not want to carry them, but very likely they need to pay something more to do so and is not willing to do that.  The Talk channels probably fall under the same problem, payment is needed. Bet they can't just carry the MLB games either.

Edited by tampa8, 15 September 2013 - 07:07 AM.

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,239 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

Never mind more, how about improving quality of what they have?  I listen to Sirius on Dish quite a bit.  Sometimes the audio isn't the best but yesterday the contrast was really obvious.

Strange ... I've read other reports where people claim DISH is better than the satellite.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#24 OFFLINE   foghorn2

foghorn2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

Sound quality of Sirius on Dish is so much better than "Sirius-AM" in the car- its laughable.

"I will save you everyone. and then you can pay me when I'm done" -Stuart Adamson

#25 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

You can listen to almost all of the Sirius channels on Sirius XM online.  The sound is probably equal or better than what is on Dish, and it also includes the talk stations, Howard Stern, etc.  Thirty-day free trial, no credit card required.

http://www.siriusxm.com/freetrial

Edited by mitchflorida, 16 September 2013 - 06:01 AM.

#26 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

Sound quality of Sirius on Dish is so much better than "Sirius-AM" in the car- its laughable.

I wasn't going to comment on that, but laughable is correct. I don't know what or how the poster is listening from Dish, but it's easily better than in the car. Even the channel separation is better.

Edited by tampa8, 16 September 2013 - 08:28 AM.

#27 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 831 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:44 AM

Not even sure what "Sirius-AM" in the car is but I'm listening on a true Sirius satellite radio from the vehicle manufacturer, in my case a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  The entire audio system is high edge.  And, yes, it far superior to Dish, at least in this case where I could compare them using the same broadcast within a couple minutes of each other.

#28 OFFLINE   foghorn2

foghorn2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

The satellite signal is very low bitrate garble warble garbage. If you think that sounds good, more power to ya. The internet feed is a little better, and Dish's feed sounds better than both.

I can play the internet version from the phone into the car and it sounds better. I can play the dish anywhere/sling version too in the car - now that sounds real bad!

Actually I'm quite happy with the selection Dish offers, amazing all that is included in the price.

Edited by foghorn2, 17 September 2013 - 10:42 PM.

"I will save you everyone. and then you can pay me when I'm done" -Stuart Adamson

Protected By... spam firewall...And...