Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

2013-2014 NHL Center Ice

• Please log in to reply
522 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wilsonc

wilsonc

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

Teams are starting to release their TV coverage schedules for the 2013-2014 season.  Anyone know of any speculation if Directv plans on improving the NHL Center Ice package with more Canadian feeds and Canadian HD?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 713 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

I'll Speculate only that little will be changing in the Canadian HD feed department.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#3 OFFLINE   steve_launch

steve_launch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

Nice to see a thread starting on this already.  Can't wait for hockey season.

I have tried voicing my opinion about needing more Canadian HD feeds through multiple channels during the offseason.  I've written a couple of (snail mail) letters to the sports programming department, and sent in a couple of comments via the website.  I didn't hear back anything from the letters, but got the typical canned response for the web comments about how they do not currently have any plans to carry more Canadian HD hockey feeds but that they would continue to evaluate it in the future.

I'd just encourage all the hockey fans on here who care about this to speak up and flood the sports programming department with requests.  Perhaps they will eventually pay attention.

#4 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:52 AM

Nice to see a thread starting on this already.  Can't wait for hockey season.

I have tried voicing my opinion about needing more Canadian HD feeds through multiple channels during the offseason.  I've written a couple of (snail mail) letters to the sports programming department, and sent in a couple of comments via the website.  I didn't hear back anything from the letters, but got the typical canned response for the web comments about how they do not currently have any plans to carry more Canadian HD hockey feeds but that they would continue to evaluate it in the future.

I'd just encourage all the hockey fans on here who care about this to speak up and flood the sports programming department with requests.  Perhaps they will eventually pay attention.

Totally agree.  Not only is it bad that the Sportsnets (save the Leafs on Sportsnet), etc., are not in HD, the SD they do carry is even horrible for SD.  It's like watching a game through a glass of water.

We did receive the second game of HNIC telecasts last year in HD, so there is always hope.

Sandra

#5 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,739 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:02 AM

I wonder if its because D* has some sort of deal with the U.S. RSN's so that more eyes are watching their feeds instead of the Canadian ones so they can get more ratings when U.S. teams are playing Canadian teams? I don't know. But it would be nice to at least get the Canadian HD feeds when two Canadian teams are playing each other.

#6 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:15 AM

Exactly as RatPatrol says. Having at least one HD feed per game is a reasonable request when it comes to games including Canadian teams.

With the exception of CBC HNIC (which should always be included), if there is a U.S. HD feed, Directv shouldn't even worry about carrying the Canadian feed.

People care about having home-town announcers for their teams. But let's be honest, there are very few fans of Canadian teams living in the USA except for maybe Toronto and Montreal. We may like to hear the Oilers announcers, but it's probably not a high priority item for Directv.  We can't even get the Los Angeles Dodgers KCAL games broadcasted by the greatest announcer of all-time on Directv's MLBEI.

The bigger NHL issue is NHL Network not permitting their games to be on NHL CI, which means you get stuck listening to whatever feed they choose.

#7 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

I wonder if its because D* has some sort of deal with the U.S. RSN's so that more eyes are watching their feeds instead of the Canadian ones so they can get more ratings when U.S. teams are playing Canadian teams? I don't know. But it would be nice to at least get the Canadian HD feeds when two Canadian teams are playing each other.

Totally agree.  I think I re

Totally agree.  Not sure how true it is, but I read years ago that some sort of uplink would need to be established to provide the Canadian RSN's in HD for games that would cost more money, and DirecTV does not want to pay that for NHL games. 

We do receive Sportsnet Ontario games for the Leafs in HD because that uplink has already been established through MLB for Blue Jay games.

Sandra

Edited by Sandra, 22 August 2013 - 07:21 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

I agree very much with everyone's desire to have more Canadian HD feeds, but none of us should be holding our breath.  The US feeds are available because DirecTV already has access to the HD feeds from most of the RSNs.   The Sportsnet feed of the Leafs is present because there's an HD feed available because the Major League Baseball package.   As an aside, I believe its the case that MLB requires HD feeds for all there games.   There isn't a similar stipulation in the NHL's contract with the Center Ice provider.   So maybe if Gary B is finished propping up untenable franchises, he could spend a bit of time thinking about the NHL CI contract.

We did make progress last year with the HD feeds of HNIC and lets hope those continue.

Totally agree.  I think I re

Totally agree.  Not sure how true it is, but I read years ago that some sort of uplink would need to be established to provide the Canadian RSN's in HD for games that would cost more money, and DirecTV does not want to pay that for NHL games. 

We do receive Sportsnet Ontario games for the Leafs in HD because that uplink has already been established through MLB for Blue Jay games.

Sandra

#9 OFFLINE   steve_launch

steve_launch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

Sandra

Yes, I've heard the same.  Apparently they do have the uplink/receiver/whatever for CBC HNIC, and the SNET-O one for the Blue Jays in MLBEI as you mentioned.  They do not have it for TSN national or other SNET regions.

The strange thing is that there have been rare, but periodic, occurrences where certain TSN-JETS (which is the RSN for the Jets) games have shown up in HD - I've never been able to explain that. 

I don't know if I've ever seen any HD from feeds like Sportsnet Pacific (Canucks), Sportsnet West (Oilers/Flames), etc.

-Steve

#10 OFFLINE   steve_launch

steve_launch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

What I ended up doing last year was purchase both NHLCI and NHL Gamecenter.  Granted, this was more feasible since both were heavily discounted.  I'm not sure I'm going to do it again this year and might just fall back to only NHLCI.

Gamecenter had a lot of Canadian HD feeds, but there were issues that I started to get really annoyed with

1. The streaming quality was hit or miss.  It seemed like on busy times (read: Saturdays) the streams were often choppy or would take *forever* to load

2. They cut out the intermission commentary from almost all of the Canadian channels and fill it with a "We'll be back soon" banner

3.  I like to watch east coast games from here in the pacific time zone.  On NHL CI I just record them on my DVR.  On NHL Gamecenter if you don't get online to a game before it's over, then you have to wait a few hours for the "replay" to come available.  The timing is terrible because the replays usually come online during the middle of the night, and by then, I've usually found out the score or given up on watching the game.

So it's a catch 22 I guess...

#11 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

What I ended up doing last year was purchase both NHLCI and NHL Gamecenter.  Granted, this was more feasible since both were heavily discounted.  I'm not sure I'm going to do it again this year and might just fall back to only NHLCI.

Gamecenter had a lot of Canadian HD feeds, but there were issues that I started to get really annoyed with

1. The streaming quality was hit or miss.  It seemed like on busy times (read: Saturdays) the streams were often choppy or would take *forever* to load

2. They cut out the intermission commentary from almost all of the Canadian channels and fill it with a "We'll be back soon" banner

3.  I like to watch east coast games from here in the pacific time zone.  On NHL CI I just record them on my DVR.  On NHL Gamecenter if you don't get online to a game before it's over, then you have to wait a few hours for the "replay" to come available.  The timing is terrible because the replays usually come online during the middle of the night, and by then, I've usually found out the score or given up on watching the game.

So it's a catch 22 I guess...

I hear your frustration on getting Canadian feeds.  I'd even settle for TSN feeds in SD.  Many if not most of them are not usually shown and this year they have 16 Leafs games with American teams which will probably mean I will have to watch the US broadcast of a lot of my team's games.   Purchasing NHL Game Center will probably not be affordable and as you say they cut out intermissions.    I also expect that prices will shoot up this year.

#12 OFFLINE   steve_launch

steve_launch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

I hear your frustration on getting Canadian feeds.  I'd even settle for TSN feeds in SD.  Many if not most of them are not usually shown and this year they have 16 Leafs games with American teams which will probably mean I will have to watch the US broadcast of a lot of my team's games.   Purchasing NHL Game Center will probably not be affordable and as you say they cut out intermissions.    I also expect that prices will shoot up this year.

I'm also a Leafs fan so I feel your pain.  I also see there are 17 Leafs TV games which also means a lot of non-HD or US-only feeds for those games too.

#13 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

Totally agree.  Not only is it bad that the Sportsnets (save the Leafs on Sportsnet), etc., are not in HD, the SD they do carry is even horrible for SD.  It's like watching a game through a glass of water.

We did receive the second game of HNIC telecasts last year in HD, so there is always hope.

Sandra

Yes, I've heard the same.  Apparently they do have the uplink/receiver/whatever for CBC HNIC, and the SNET-O one for the Blue Jays in MLBEI as you mentioned.  They do not have it for TSN national or other SNET regions.

The strange thing is that there have been rare, but periodic, occurrences where certain TSN-JETS (which is the RSN for the Jets) games have shown up in HD - I've never been able to explain that. 

I don't know if I've ever seen any HD from feeds like Sportsnet Pacific (Canucks), Sportsnet West (Oilers/Flames), etc.

-Steve

I think that jet's game was an wild / shaded habs / jet feed.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#14 OFFLINE   steve_launch

steve_launch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

I think that jet's game was an wild / shaded habs / jet feed.

Yes indeed - but I still wonder how D* got their hands on it if they don't have a HD uplink receiver from TSN

#15 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

I'm also a Leafs fan so I feel your pain.  I also see there are 17 Leafs TV games which also means a lot of non-HD or US-only feeds for those games too.

Yes I was distressed to see the number of LeafsTV games this year.  They are slowly moving more games to their own channel.  Hardly surprising.

#16 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

Teams are starting to release their TV coverage schedules for the 2013-2014 season.  Anyone know of any speculation if Directv plans on improving the NHL Center Ice package with more Canadian feeds and Canadian HD?

Where are you seeing local schedules? I've only seen the national schedule.

#17 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

Where are you seeing local schedules? I've only seen the national schedule.

i think he mean like TSN schedule

#18 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

I found the Leafs TV schedule on the team's homepage.  Other teams are posting schedules as well, although they haven't showed up on the NHL site yet.

#19 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

Yes indeed - but I still wonder how D* got their hands on it if they don't have a HD uplink receiver from TSN

wild feed that they where just able to tune in with no fees? They seem to use backhaul feeds for the rugby.

what they need to add is US OTA HD feeds. NHL , NBA and MLB should have WGN 9 HD.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#20 OFFLINE   steve_launch

steve_launch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

wild feed that they where just able to tune in with no fees? They seem to use backhaul feeds for the rugby.

I see, thanks for explaining.  Maybe they can go find some more free wild feeds out there more often :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...