Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

2013-2014 NHL Center Ice

• Please log in to reply
522 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 377 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

So I have to cancel D*....will I get a partial refund for the time I couldn't utilize this service or am I SOL?

That's an interesting situation...

Normally, they frown upon cancellation of NHLCI once you order it, but since you are canceling your entire service, you might be able to get partial refund...

How much of NHLCI have you paid for already?

Let us know how you make out...

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#302 OFFLINE   Chilcoot

Chilcoot

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

I just disagree with your assertion -- that you present as fact -- that HNIC is hockey at its best.

I'm saying something different, that HNIC is the best-PRODUCED hockey programming. Whether a particular game will be good or not is not the issue, that's largely unpredictable.

BOTTOM LINE: The NHL would really be doing itself a favor by carring each Saturday night HNIC broadcast in full on NHL Network.

#303 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

I'm saying something different, that HNIC is the best-PRODUCED hockey programming. Whether a particular game will be good or not is not the issue, that's largely unpredictable.

BOTTOM LINE: The NHL would really be doing itself a favor by carring each Saturday night HNIC broadcast in full on NHL Network.

Unfortunately, the NHL does not have a very good history of doing itself any favors.

#304 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

And I'm saying I disagree. The NHL network needs to put on the best GAME of the night on, the one most interesting to US viewers. Most US viewers couldn't pick Ron Maclean out of a police lineup and don't care about the Canadian teams, unless their team is playing them. If the HNIC game is the best matchup, then go for it. But putting on HNIC just because it is HNIC makes no sense. The US version of NHL Network should be catering to US viewers. You don't get US viewers by force feeding them the Leafs, the Habs or the Canucks every week.

#305 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

And I'm saying I disagree. The NHL network needs to put on the best GAME of the night on, the one most interesting to US viewers. Most US viewers couldn't pick Ron Maclean out of a police lineup and don't care about the Canadian teams, unless their team is playing them. If the HNIC game is the best matchup, then go for it. But putting on HNIC just because it is HNIC makes no sense. The US version of NHL Network should be catering to US viewers. You don't get US viewers by force feeding them the Leafs, the Habs or the Canucks every week.

Have you watched the Leafs so far this year?  VERY good team.  Kessel and Van Reymsdyk are really clicking, and they have other weapons as well.  Entertaining to watch.  And, you talk about fans following their team around the continent, Leafs Nation is up there with Detroit and Chicago.  Leaf fans travel well, and there is a loyal following of Toronto fans throughout both Canada and America.

My perspective on all this is that we can watch tons of games on NHL CI of American teams.  Right now, there are far less feeds of Canadian teams, esp. HD feeds.  Would be great if both HNIC games were broadcasted by NHL Network for that very reason. 

#306 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

it is not the nhl network's job to give you hd fees of canadian teams that you don't get on centre ice.

your beef is with directtv on that one, but i can see their point of not paying extra for the feeds,since this product is probably not a big money maker for them. hell, people call each year and try to get the product for free. you want a better product, pay full price for it. you get what you pay for. If this pisses somebody off, then fine but directtv is here to make money or they wont be around.

also, both games were on the nhl network some years back. if it was so successful, why would they not want to continue it. maybe the ratings for the games involving canada teams sucked. They also used to carry all the tsn games, those are gone. Sportsnet's OHL game of the week is also not being carried anymore. The NHL network probably makes more money and has more viewers airing us teams.

• sigma1914 likes this

#307 ONLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,016 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:38 PM

Enough about the NHL Network already.  This is a DirecTV forum, and DirecTV does not have anything to do with NHLN programming (apart from retransmitting it).  Discussion about NHLN and all its problems should take place elsewhere IMO.

#308 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:19 AM

My perspective on all this is that we can watch tons of games on NHL CI of American teams.  Right now, there are far less feeds of Canadian teams, esp. HD feeds.  Would be great if both HNIC games were broadcasted by NHL Network for that very reason. 

HNIC double headers and post game are always in HD on Center Ice so your logic is lost to me.

#309 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 884 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:14 AM

All this talk about HNIC on the NHLN could be mute if CBC doesn't retain the tv rights. CBC had exclusive negotiation rights with the NHL through August. With no announcement of an extension,it's safe to say the NHL wants everyone to bid on those rights.

#310 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:40 AM

Enough about the NHL Network already. This is a DirecTV forum, and DirecTV does not have anything to do with NHLN programming (apart from retransmitting it). Discussion about NHLN and all its problems should take place elsewhere IMO.

NHLN isn't programming presented on DirecTV then? This is the programming section of a DirecTV forum so I'm pretty sure this is as good of a place as any for a discussion on the subject of NHLN.

• loveshockey likes this

#311 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,773 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

Anyone having issues with GCL? It says I'm blacked out on every game.

#312 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,484 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

Anyone having issues with GCL? It says I'm blacked out on every game.

No problem here. Got the Islanders/Senators game on, in OT.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#313 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,773 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

No problem here. Got the Islanders/Senators game on, in OT.

I fixed it, reinstalled the app on my cell phone.

Thanks

#314 OFFLINE   nhlfan79

nhlfan79

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:35 AM

DirecTV better carry tonight's Leafs/Canucks game.  It's Bure's number retirement night.  Getting nervous that it's still not in the guide, and not listed as an available game on their NHL Center Ice page...

#315 ONLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,016 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:10 AM

DirecTV better carry tonight's Leafs/Canucks game.  It's Bure's number retirement night.  Getting nervous that it's still not in the guide, and not listed as an available game on their NHL Center Ice page...

The Leafs/Canucks game will be on NHL Network.

Tribune Media provides guide data for DirecTV (at least for the full-time channels).  Near as I can tell, Tribune is the ONLY source that has the wrong game listed on NHL Network tonight.  All other sources I checked, including TV Guide (who provides guide data for cable in many areas) and the official NHL Network listings on their website, show Leafs/Canucks at 7PM ET on NHLN.

What probably happened is that the network was originally going to carry Hurricanes/Rangers but switched to Leafs/Canucks (rightfully so, because that's a better matchup when considering the teams' records).  Tribune apparently didn't get the memo that the game was changed, which led to the confusion.

If you're setting a DVR recording, I suggest doing a manual record on NHLN rather than setting a recording for the game listed in the guide.  That way, if Tribune wakes up and fixes the error, it won't cause the DVR to drop the recording (I've had this happen before).

#316 OFFLINE   nhlfan79

nhlfan79

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

I hope you're right...

https://sports.direc...LCenterIce#day2

#317 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,773 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

I hope you're right...

https://sports.direc...LCenterIce#day2

This schedule shows it being on the NHLN.

http://www.nhl.com/i...d=nav-sch-today

#318 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

If you're setting a DVR recording, I suggest doing a manual record on NHLN rather than setting a recording for the game listed in the guide.  That way, if Tribune wakes up and fixes the error, it won't cause the DVR to drop the recording (I've had this happen before).

Most excellent suggestion.

#319 ONLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,016 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

As a followup, during the Blackhawks/Jets game on NHLN this afternoon, I saw a commercial advertising the Leafs/Canucks game on NHLN tonight.  That should remove any remaining doubts as to where that game will be.

#320 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

The guide still shows the Hurricanes and Rangers on NHL N this evening.  I am going to be pretty pissed if they show the Leafs-Canucks instead but then don't let me watch the Rangers on 778-1 because "this program is not available in your area" because it's supposedly being shown on NHL N.

SMK

Edited by RoyGBiv, 02 November 2013 - 02:57 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...