Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

2013-2014 NHL Center Ice

• Please log in to reply
522 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   steve_launch

steve_launch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

FYI I see after logging in to my NHL Gamecenter Live account that it is currently listed as being $149.99 for the upcoming season  (with a comment underneath of save $10 through 10/31/13)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   wilsonc

wilsonc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

Where are you seeing local schedules? I've only seen the national schedule.

Teams are already releasing their broadcast schedules.  For instance, the Winnipeg Jets broadcast schedule was posted on their website.

#23 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

This thread is under DirecTv Programming. These two posts should probably go under the other NHL thread as that thread isn't DirecTV specific.

FYI I see after logging in to my NHL Gamecenter Live account that it is currently listed as being $149.99 for the upcoming season  (with a comment underneath of save $10 through 10/31/13)

Teams are already releasing their broadcast schedules.  For instance, the Winnipeg Jets broadcast schedule was posted on their website.

#24 OFFLINE   danman1202

danman1202

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

When does D* usually put it on sale?  I see it's not up yet.

#25 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

I boycotted CI (and NHL merch in general) last season as the only way to make a concrete $tatement about my displeasure with the lock-out. First time I went without it in several years.

But it is a new season and my boycott ended on 7/1, so maybe I'll re-up. At least considering it. My home team has 100% of its games aired in HD in their package. . .and my "second" team (I grew up with) is the Pens, who get pretty good NBC coverage. But with the new divisions, I'd probably like to spend some more time catching up with the new rivals. We'll see.

LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#26 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,490 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

I hope Game Center has a preview, so we can compare them.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#27 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

If the quality is anything like what I've seen on MLB games (just got a Roku a little while back and there's always a free game of the day) there's no way I would find that acceptable. The PQ sucks.

At this point, while I would love to get the rest of the Canadian feeds in HD as long as I can get any HD feed I'm fine. We're probably getting somewhere near 95% of all telecasts in HD now anyway.

#28 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

last year was great it was so cheap it was a nobrainer to get both and had perfect picture on center ice but the mobility of Game Center live... while it is actually worth more in some ways than Sunday Ticket I dont see myself dropping $300+ this year on NHL...

#29 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

I too would like Center Ice, but I'm also a Toronto fan.  There needs to be good HD feeds of Leafs games, for me to buy in.  It's bad enough with the blackout situation, here in New York State, with Buffalo getting all of their games, the Rangers almost all of their games and the Isles and Devils having about 55% of their games, locally.  

In Canada, they too have issues with Center Ice.  The MSG, Flyers and Capital's games are in SD and not in HD.  So there is no perfect solution on either side of the border.

Edited by PrinceLH, 25 August 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:08 PM

I may get both again but to be honest I've learned to simply watch the opposing teams feed through CI. I'm an Oilers fan who would love a Canadian dish but it's not something I can justify as much as I want it.

Ah, I'm just excited to get the season started... I recently re-upped with D* for two more years so I'm set in that department. The HR34 has been a beautiful device for me thus far. I'm now excited to record some Oilers hockey with it! Not sure about the the HR44 because I've not used it but must write that 34 runs really well..

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Edited by fireponcoal, 25 August 2013 - 11:13 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

I'll say this about NHL Gamecenter.  Their feeds were poor in the past, but around the middle of last season, they apparently upgraded the system, and feeds were outstanding. Much more stable and clear compared to past years.  Watched it on my 58" plasma, and the picture was VERY sharp.  Also got all of the Canadian HD feeds as well. 

I know that some are skeptical of streaming, and I know that some don't have access to adequate bandwidth through their internet connection.  However, If you want HD feeds for Canadian games, you may want to consider NHL Gamecenter if you have a high-speed internet connection.

Edited by George_T, 26 August 2013 - 08:37 AM.

#32 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 686 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

When does D* usually put it on sale?  I see it's not up yet.

I don't know when it goes on sale but I got a renewal letter saying it would be $160 for the season.  I am out of contract so I am going to try and get it for free as I am thinking of cutting the cord entirely this year or at least suspend service until playoff time.

#33 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

Would be nice if the NHL included Game Center with NHL CI subs, like the NBA does with their package.

• loudo likes this

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#34 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 467 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

I would settle for NHL Network to stop squishing games for their dumb ticker. I wouldn't even consider NHL CI until all games were in HD. This is 2013, not 2003.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#35 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 686 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

I would settle for NHL Network to stop squishing games for their dumb ticker. I wouldn't even consider NHL CI until all games were in HD. This is 2013, not 2003.

I totally agree with you about the NHL Network.  Horribly run channel and that squishing and constant ticker are atrocious.  CI customers should be free to watch whatever feed they want.  In other stupid things the NHL does, the fact that NHL CI includes the NHL Network while Gamecenter does not include NHLN games in any form has annoyed a friend of mine to the point that he won't get Gamecenter this year.  It's really like this league tries to annoy its fans.

#36 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

Compared to the other three major sports TV networks, the NHL Network is an incredibly minor league operation.  On top of the ridiculous size of the ticker at the bottom of the screen and the lack of original programming, the blackout areas are what really drives me over the edge. 

We are on the Jersey shore, in the New York DMA, where were are close enough to Philly to be within the Flyers blackout range for NHL Network.  So games on NHL Network are blacked out for us here....but not available locally, since were are not in the Philly DMA.  Center Ice has different blackout areas....we are treated as out of market for Philly, and receive all their games in the Center Ice package.  But games on the NHL Network are not in the Center Ice package.  You can't make this stuff up.

That fact that do not care to address something as simple as two different blackout areas for their own products can only happen in the NHL.

Sandra

Edited by Sandra, 26 August 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#37 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,819 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

Two things I'd like to see D* do is get a game mix channel and mirror the NHLN and NBCSN games to the 700's by the NHLCI channels, but both will probably never happen.

#38 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,490 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

Two things I'd like to see D* do is get a game mix channel and mirror the NHLN and NBCSN games to the 700's by the NHLCI channels, but both will probably never happen.

I agree on the mix channel, we have been asking for it for years, but when the season starts we get the same old channel with the scores that works only half the time.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#39 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

The NHL Network was a wonderful idea gone horribly wrong.

#40 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

Speaking of NHLnet makes me wonder when 215 will be turned back on for Center Ice Subs. I usually remember it being the end of August if my memory is serving me right.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Protected By... spam firewall...And...