Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

2013-2014 NHL Center Ice

• Please log in to reply
522 replies to this topic

#441 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 874 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

Rogers says it will broadcast games across 13 different Canadian TV channels, including City, Sportsnet and cable channel FX Canada

That doesn't sound promising for US  NHLCI viewers.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#442 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

That doesn't sound promising for US  NHLCI viewers.

If DirecTV doesn't do something to get these channels in HD, I may drop my CI sub in favor of GCL.

#443 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

I would assume the language in the contract would mandate the feeds becoming available through a single point broadcast center in which uploading and downloading would be relatively easy to Directv broadcast center. I think with the new bird and this contract we are getting down to odd ball issues like the puzzling WGN issue. 

Edited by stoutman, 05 February 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#444 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

I would assume the language in the contract would mandate the feeds becoming available through a single point broadcast center in which uploading and downloading would be relatively easy to Directv broadcast center. I think with the new bird and this contract we are getting down to odd ball issues like the puzzling WGN issue. 

WGN is an OTA feed it's also in Canada as an superstation .

What will it cost Directv to relink the HD OTA feed to the main beams part time? (can also be used for the bulls games and the very few non WGN america cubs and sox games) Can they use the Canada feed?

Edited by JoeTheDragon, 05 February 2014 - 08:37 PM.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#445 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 874 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

Now that the owners and the NHL are flush with money from both the new USA and Canadian TV deals. The NHL should provide all HD telecasts for NHLCI,the same way they provide SD feeds for the NHLCI. 

#446 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 657 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

What will it cost Directv to relink the HD OTA feed to the main beams part time? (can also be used for the bulls games and the very few non WGN america cubs and sox games) Can they use the Canada feed?

I wouldn't think it would cost anything.  I don't work in D* master control, but if they are broadcasting the Chicago area WGN HD signal on a spot beam to Chicago subscribers, that means that signal is coming in to D* HQ, where they could send it out nationally with no additional expense or trouble.  I would guess there is some stupid rights issue going on with WGN, similar to issues in the past that have popped up with MSG HD and Altitude HD feeds sometimes not being included in NHL CI.  Are Chicago area WGN HD feeds used in League Pass or MLB?

#447 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

Adding HD feeds that DirecTV doesn't usually carry has to cost them something.  Over the past few years we've seen the addition of CBC feeds and Sportsnet feeds for the Leafs and the Canucks.  We are just going to have to wait and see what happens next year.  

From a Broadcast perspective, while Sportsnet becomes the big player, TSN keeps rights for all regional broadcasts of the Winnipeg Jets and they've just signed a similar deal with Ottawa.  TSN also has some regional Montreal games and I believe they own the rights to a few Leafs regional games as well. 

The jury will be out for a lot of people as to whether or not Game Center or NHLCI will provide the best coverage next year.

#448 OFFLINE   tbirds118

tbirds118

Mentor

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

Does anyone else have intermittent problems recording games on the RSN as a subscriber of CI? I had one issue with a remote record where I told it to record on 628 (Bruins) and it recorded an SD CI channel instead. And then last night, while watching the game, I hit record while on 628. It told me game was blacked out on channel, it tuned to CI channel of Blues broadcast and started recording that. When I tuned back to 628, I got the 721 message. I stopped the recording and changed away and back to 628 and it appeared again.

I have an HR-44 and never had this problem with my HR-24. 

#449 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 989 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

Does anyone else have intermittent problems recording games on the RSN as a subscriber of CI? I had one issue with a remote record where I told it to record on 628 (Bruins) and it recorded an SD CI channel instead. And then last night, while watching the game, I hit record while on 628. It told me game was blacked out on channel, it tuned to CI channel of Blues broadcast and started recording that. When I tuned back to 628, I got the 721 message. I stopped the recording and changed away and back to 628 and it appeared again.

I have an HR-44 and never had this problem with my HR-24. 

I haven't had that problem, but we have the Sports Pack, which might make a difference.  I almost always record on the RSN's when possible since the shorter time blocks help avoid conflicts with other recordings.

#450 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:10 AM

Adding HD feeds that DirecTV doesn't usually carry has to cost them something. Over the past few years we've seen the addition of CBC feeds and Sportsnet feeds for the Leafs and the Canucks. We are just going to have to wait and see what happens next year.

From a Broadcast perspective, while Sportsnet becomes the big player, TSN keeps rights for all regional broadcasts of the Winnipeg Jets and they've just signed a similar deal with Ottawa. TSN also has some regional Montreal games and I believe they own the rights to a few Leafs regional games as well.

The jury will be out for a lot of people as to whether or not Game Center or NHLCI will provide the best coverage next year.

The contract with Sportsnet specifically gives them all out of market rights, therefore the will have them in one location to be used for CI and if Rogers wants to broadcast the game to another part of Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#451 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 657 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

Has anyone heard of a free preview week coming up for NHL CI?  They usually have one around the all star game and I am hoping they have one after the Olympics.

#452 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:51 PM

It is in the interest of the leagues, who control out-of-market packages like CI and GCL, to mandate that all local feeds be made available for the packages.  There are very few technical issues at play here given that Directv, Dish and InDemand have access to all North American signals.  (There are the seasonal issues of space available.)

It appears to just hinge on the fact that Directv, Dish, etc. often must pay these stations for the rights to have their feed used in the package.  It just seems bizarre given that the league is supposed to be involved with out-of-market viewing.

#453 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

It is in the interest of the leagues, who control out-of-market packages like CI and GCL, to mandate that all local feeds be made available for the packages.  There are very few technical issues at play here given that Directv, Dish and InDemand have access to all North American signals.  (There are the seasonal issues of space available.)

It appears to just hinge on the fact that Directv, Dish, etc. often must pay these stations for the rights to have their feed used in the package.  It just seems bizarre given that the league is supposed to be involved with out-of-market viewing.

You are getting close to a fundemental difference in league governance. Internet rights were conferred to MLB in a vote fifteen years ago by the owners. Subsequent rules by the league require a HD and SD signal be sent to the MLB Broadcast center. NHL has a much weaker governance system and therefore has not had similar rules evolve. This is why we have had moments like MSG withholding HD signals. Versus winning the national contract had ancillary benefits by pulling in the Comcast Empire into NHL fold. It also started to build needed infrastructure to catch up with the other professional leagues. The Rogers contract is emulating the gains of Versus from Comcast. We will see benefits from this new marriage. 100% HD of hockey is not far away. 

#454 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,232 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

Has anyone heard of a free preview week coming up for NHL CI? They usually have one around the all star game and I am hoping they have one after the Olympics.

Haven't heard of one yet, but they usually do and they did after Vancouver.

#455 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

I wouldn't think it would cost anything.  I don't work in D* master control, but if they are broadcasting the Chicago area WGN HD signal on a spot beam to Chicago subscribers, that means that signal is coming in to D* HQ, where they could send it out nationally with no additional expense or trouble.  I would guess there is some stupid rights issue going on with WGN, similar to issues in the past that have popped up with MSG HD and Altitude HD feeds sometimes not being included in NHL CI.  Are Chicago area WGN HD feeds used in League Pass or MLB?

NHL NET has used WGN 9 / Canada feed? with ad's / local stuff removed. I also thing that bell and Shaw don't black out WGN games even when head to head with CBC games and I think bell even remapped the wgn feed to CI channels a few times.

But how much of an issues are the ad's / local stuff? CBC / sports net feeds on directv have the Canada ad's in them.

#456 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 874 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

Companies that bought ads on WGN for hockey games,should be delighted in getting National exposure on NHLCI. They would be getting access  to the whole USA for the price of local ads.

#457 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:53 AM

And WGN would like to monetize that access, which might be the crux of issue.

#458 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

And WGN would like to monetize that access, which might be the crux of issue.

how much?? as the Canada systems used to have wgn america some time ago but switched to the local feed to avoid fees that are required to carry the WGN superstation feed

#459 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

The key to why next year will be the end of SD.... 

This is from the article annoucing Rogers deal with NHL. It was what I was referring to in an earlier post. 

Rogers said it will use its digital technology to stream games on the Internet, wireless and mobile devices, and satellite radio. Rogers will operate NHL Center Ice and NHL GameCenter Live in Canada.

#460 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,232 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

Has anyone heard of a free preview week coming up for NHL CI?  They usually have one around the all star game and I am hoping they have one after the Olympics.

I received this email earlier this week:

NHL Center Ice will be available FREE February 26 - March 4, 2014 on DirecTV, Dish, Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, Bright House, Verizon, Cablevision, and other participating providers.  NHL Network is also included.

spam firewall