Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

2013-2014 NHL Center Ice

• Please log in to reply
522 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

The NHL Network was a wonderful idea gone horribly wrong.

and network canada still does not have a HD feed.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:50 AM

Two things I'd like to see D* do is get a game mix channel and mirror the NHLN and NBCSN games to the 700's by the NHLCI channels, but both will probably never happen.

What Directv should do is use the channel space in the 900s to create a channel for each MLB, NHL, and NBA team.  That way, every game of that team is on that channel.  Helps with DVR and customer convenience.  The channel would have pre/post-game shows (assuming you get Sports Pack) and then the actual game from that team's feed (if available or else opponent's feed).  Could be sorted by division/alphabetical.  Could even mirror NBCSN, ESPN, etc. when necessary, although I'm wondering if they would run into copyright issues with that.  (Maybe if they agreed to keep channel on for hours after game over or something.)

Channel 901: Baltimore Orioles

Channel 902: Boston Red Sox

Channel 903: New York Yankees

Channel 904: Tampa Bay Rays

Channel 905: Toronto Blue Jays

Channel 990: Vancouver Canucks

#43 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:36 AM

What Directv should do is use the channel space in the 900s to create a channel for each MLB, NHL, and NBA team.  That way, every game of that team is on that channel.  Helps with DVR and customer convenience.  The channel would have pre/post-game shows (assuming you get Sports Pack) and then the actual game from that team's feed (if available or else opponent's feed).  Could be sorted by division/alphabetical.  Could even mirror NBCSN, ESPN, etc. when necessary, although I'm wondering if they would run into copyright issues with that.  (Maybe if they agreed to keep channel on for hours after game over or something.)

Wow...goes back to the Primestar lineup!

Sandra

Edited by Sandra, 28 August 2013 - 06:36 AM.

#44 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

add how will games with only 1 feed work? or even 1 team feed?  OTA games?

#45 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 681 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

add how will games with only 1 feed work? or even 1 team feed?  OTA games?

In the Primestar days, when there was only one feed available for a game, that feed would be mirrored on the other team's channel.  For example, the Flyers channel existed but was always games from the other team's feed.  OTA games would not be included in this system but I don't think any team these days has any games on OTA except for Chicago.  It was a great system that I wish D* would use.

#46 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

Was looking at my account page and just noticed this under "My Sports Channels", its the description for the CenterIce package:

" NHL CENTER ICE

NHL® CENTER ICE® brings you up to 40 regular-season games a week from outside your local area and select playoff matchups. See up to 20 games a week in crystal clear HD."
I highlighted the part about the HD coverage. For some reason that number, 20 games a week, seems low compared to the last few years. For me, I remember more than 3 games a night being in HD. About the only games that weren't were some Canadian feeds. Very few of those even. Maybe its just me or maybe a mistake in the copy on the site.

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#47 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

Was looking at my account page and just noticed this under "My Sports Channels", its the description for the CenterIce package:

" NHL CENTER ICE

NHL® CENTER ICE® brings you up to 40 regular-season games a week from outside your local area and select playoff matchups. See up to 20 games a week in crystal clear HD."
I highlighted the part about the HD coverage. For some reason that number, 20 games a week, seems low compared to the last few years. For me, I remember more than 3 games a night being in HD. About the only games that weren't were some Canadian feeds. Very few of those even. Maybe its just me or maybe a mistake in the copy on the site.

20 may be the minimum number of HD games or some old leftover that never got changed.

#48 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

20 may be the minimum number of HD games or some old leftover that never got changed.

Here's hoping.... :righton:

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#49 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 681 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

I think they have been using that same copy for over a decade and it doesn't make any sense.  I don't think there has ever been any maximum or minimum # of games shown per week.

#50 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

I think they have been using that same copy for over a decade and it doesn't make any sense.  I don't think there has ever been any maximum or minimum # of games shown per week.

indemand had stuff like that on there web site up to 10 HD games a week and I think later up to 20 games HD. That was been for they added all the feeds that are still not lot's of cable systems.

#51 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:11 AM

This issue of HD access to games on NHLCI, MLBEI, and NBALP and the use of multiple feeds is one of the reasons that Directv is better than cable for (most) sports fans.

#52 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,484 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

I emailed Customer Service and asked if there were going to be any changes to this years CI package, and mentioned my desire to see more Canadian games in HD and a good mix channel. Never got an answer back just a canned message saying my email was being forwarded to DIRECTV's Management Team. I guess that means no changes again this year.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#53 OFFLINE   danman1202

danman1202

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

Also, it's 159.96 for the season and it's available for purchase now in even 4 installments of 39.99 or 159.96 at once.

#54 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

Also, it's 159.96 for the season and it's available for purchase now in even 4 installments of 39.99 or 159.96 at once.

That's a bit higher then I thought it would be.  Although, since I just received NFL ST for free and $35 in monthly credits for a year, I guess I'll just pay the price.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#55 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,484 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

Does anyone know how close to the opening of the season you can cancel CI?

#56 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

The CI page says 'before the season starts.'  First game is on Oct 1st. If you're going to cancel, I'd do it no later than September 30th.

#57 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

I emailed Customer Service and asked if there were going to be any changes to this years CI package, and mentioned my desire to see more Canadian games in HD and a good mix channel. Never got an answer back just a canned message saying my email was being forwarded to DIRECTV's Management Team. I guess that means no changes again this year.

I did the same, asking if we would see the Canadian games in HD. Reply was the same as yours. I'm not holding my breath, but it has to happen one of these years.

Edited by ep1974, 05 September 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#58 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

I'd just be happy if they gave us access to some sort of mobile feed.  NBA and NFL fans get the online version of their packages included with their TV access.  Since we don't get that, I bought a Nomad last year to take Islanders games on my iPad, only to find out that they mis-coded all NHLCI games as PPV, so the Nomad cannot process them.  

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#59 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,484 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

I'd just be happy if they gave us access to some sort of mobile feed.  NBA and NFL fans get the online version of their packages included with their TV access.  Since we don't get that, I bought a Nomad last year to take Islanders games on my iPad, only to find out that they mis-coded all NHLCI games as PPV, so the Nomad cannot process them.  

That will be the deal breaker with me. Traveling a lot and missing the games because of lack of access. At least with Center Ice you can get it on TV or on a computer at home and on a laptop or device like Roku on the road. 

#60 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

That will be the deal breaker with me. Traveling a lot and missing the games because of lack of access. At least with Center Ice you can get it on TV or on a computer at home and on a laptop or device like Roku on the road. 

Also, an alternative is to use a Slingbox.  When I travel, I use it all the time to watch NHL CI games either on my laptop, phone or even on the hotels TV via HDMI cable from either device.   And no matter which sports package I buy NHL CI, NFL ST, etc, I always have remote access to the games.  And it saves me from paying extra for NFL ST Max or NHL Game Center Live.  Not to mention that I can watch any recorded programming on my DVR or any live channels that are in my DIRECTV package. 

Edited by RACJ2, 06 September 2013 - 09:28 AM.

HR34-700, HR22-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...