Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

2013-2014 NHL Center Ice

• Please log in to reply
522 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,459 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

Also, an alternative is to use a Slingbox.  When I travel, I use it all the time to watch NHL CI games either on my laptop, phone or even on the hotels TV via HDMI cable from either device.   And no matter which sports package I buy NHL CI, NFL ST, etc, I always have remote access to the games.  And it saves me from paying extra for NFL ST Max or NHL Game Center Live.  Not to mention that I can watch any recorded programming on my DVR or any live channels that are in my DIRECTV package. 

I have a sling box, but it is an older one and the PQ is not very good for hockey. I have also seen a few hotels that had sling boxes blocked. I guess because of bandwidth issues.

With Game Center being less money and having more options than Center Ice, it is becoming a better value.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

wow i didnt realize we were that close to the season.  i guess ill have to call soon and try to get it for at least half price.

#63 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

I have a sling box, but it is an older one and the PQ is not very good for hockey. I have also seen a few hotels that had sling boxes blocked. I guess because of bandwidth issues.

With Game Center being less money and having more options than Center Ice, it is becoming a better value.

I don't have the latest Slingbox either, but I do have the first HD model.  Depending on the internet bandwidth at the hotel, an NHL game can be any where from a very good quality picture, to hard to watch.  Although if the internet speed is bad, I have found that the Slingbox does a better job of providing a smooth, stutter free picture, than any other streaming I have tried.  So Game Center would actually look worse.  Just been my experience over the years.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#64 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,459 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

I don't have the latest Slingbox either, but I do have the first HD model.  Depending on the internet bandwidth at the hotel, an NHL game can be any where from a very good quality picture, to hard to watch.  Although if the internet speed is bad, I have found that the Slingbox does a better job of providing a smooth, stutter free picture, than any other streaming I have tried.  So Game Center would actually look worse.  Just been my experience over the years.

I have tried using my sling box to watch baseball via my HR20-700 and it was really but, then I would change over to MLB-TV, on my laptop, and the picture was very good. I even have attached it to the TV via an HDMI cable and the PQ was good. Just not sure if Game Center picture quality is as good as MLB-TV PQ.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#65 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

wow i didnt realize we were that close to the season.  i guess ill have to call soon and try to get it for at least half price.

How did you make out with that?  If you did, what did you say?

#66 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 660 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

How did you make out with that?  If you did, what did you say?

As far as I can tell, they are not budging on the Center Ice price.  I called about an unrelated issue and got a ridiculous amount of credits and free NFL ST but they would not give an inch on the Center Ice price at all.

#67 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Registered
  • 634 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

I would like a lot of things mentioned above including more Canadian HD feeds, but what I'd really like is reliable guide data in the NHL-CI section of D* programming that's there more than a day before the start of the season. Last year with the lock out was a pain, and I can understand there wasn't a lot of time to set things up.  Now, the NHL schedule has been out for weeks. There's no reason the NHL-CI  list of games and channel assignments can't be up at least a week before the season starts and maintain that throughout the season.

SMK

#68 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

I would like a lot of things mentioned above including more Canadian HD feeds, but what I'd really like is reliable guide data in the NHL-CI section of D* programming that's there more than a day before the start of the season. Last year with the lock out was a pain, and I can understand there wasn't a lot of time to set things up.  Now, the NHL schedule has been out for weeks. There's no reason the NHL-CI  list of games and channel assignments can't be up at least a week before the season starts and maintain that throughout the season.

SMK

would be nice. as would allowing those who subscribe to CI to avoid having to watch a game on NHL Network.

#69 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 412 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

If it's on NHL Network you won't get it on CI.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#70 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

would be nice. as would allowing those who subscribe to CI to avoid having to watch a game on NHL Network.

they also need the reverse mirror feeds of NBCSN, MSNBC? and NHL network.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#71 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

Looks like hardball for CI.  I guess that they won't be seeing any money from me this year.  They should be giving it out for half price, since they just came off a strike shortened year.  The NHL is nothing but greedy and it's all about revenue.  They're pretty much taking all of the fun out of the Winter Classic, by adding a number of outdoor games.  That's not a way to grow a fanbase.  Give us fair competition at a reasonable price and people will tune in.  With an unbalanced conference setup, it's totally Mickey Mouse.  They are getting to be a bigger joke every year.

#72 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

Also, it's 159.96 for the season and it's available for purchase now in even 4 installments of 39.99 or 159.96 at once.

That's a bit higher then I thought it would be.  Although, since I just received NFL ST for free and $35 in monthly credits for a year, I guess I'll just pay the price.

The first of my 4 installments are on my September bill and it is $39.99.

Edited by RACJ2, 10 September 2013 - 07:14 PM.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#73 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:00 PM

I noticed the charge a few days ago as well.  What I'm wondering/hoping is that the powers that be kindly flip the switch on the NHL Network before the preseason gets underway.  Fingers crossed.

Edited by fireponcoal, 11 September 2013 - 03:32 PM.

#74 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:53 PM

Also, an alternative is to use a Slingbox. When I travel, I use it all the time to watch NHL CI games either on my laptop, phone or even on the hotels TV via HDMI cable from either device. And no matter which sports package I buy NHL CI, NFL ST, etc, I always have remote access to the games. And it saves me from paying extra for NFL ST Max or NHL Game Center Live. Not to mention that I can watch any recorded programming on my DVR or any live channels that are in my DIRECTV package.

The problem with the Slingbox is that I'm not the only person in the family. If I'm out and I flip on the game remotely with a Slingbox, doesn't it change the channel on whoever is watching something at home. Besides, if they'd just fix the GenieGo problem with NHL, I wouldn't need it. I have excellent out of home access with the GenieGo, just no hockey.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#75 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

Have you heard anything back from Ellen's office regarding the GenieGo.

#76 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

Have you heard anything back from Ellen's office regarding the GenieGo.

Nothing since that first contact.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#77 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

It seems it takes them one week to do their research and get back to the customer with their answer.  I know you'll post what they tell you.

I cancelled my CI yesterday. I've had it since 1998-99 season.

#78 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

The problem with the Slingbox is that I'm not the only person in the family. If I'm out and I flip on the game remotely with a Slingbox, doesn't it change the channel on whoever is watching something at home. Besides, if they'd just fix the GenieGo problem with NHL, I wouldn't need it. I have excellent out of home access with the GenieGo, just no hockey.

That is true.  The TV connected to the DVR/Slingbox will only allow someone to watch what you are viewing remote.  Not a problem if you use connect to a DVR/TV that is in a room that doesn't get watched much, which is my situation.  And someone could watch a TV that is connected to a Genie Mini Client, while you are watching from the Genie DVR.   Otherwise, that situation could be a major drawback to using a Slingbox.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#79 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

The NHL Network was a wonderful idea gone horribly wrong.

I know many of you agree with the above statement, but NHLN does do some things right.  Tonight they are televising one of the first preseason games Jets and Capitals.  Then tomorrow evening on NHLN Alternate, the Flyers and Leafs in London, Ontario.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#80 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,703 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

I know many of you agree with the above statement, but NHLN does do some things right.  Tonight they are televising one of the first preseason games Jets and Capitals.  Then tomorrow evening on NHLN Alternate, the Flyers and Leafs in London, Ontario.

I'm wondering if we'll get that alternate feed though?

spam firewall