Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie (HR44-700) buffer on start

genie buffer start

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationOn a long and lonesome highway, east of Omaha

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

When I wake up my Genie HR44-700 (e.g. in the morning or after work) there is no buffer on the channel it woke up on.

However, my HR24-100 always has a 90 minute buffer on the channel it wakes up on.

Another thread touched on this issue, and stated the buffer is there. What can be done to get the buffer on a Genie?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

I've been trying to understand the buffer logic with my hr44 and my c41, and I can't. I've done some experimenting and found a tip that works sometimes if you're trying to find a buffer. Try changing to another channel and then back to the channel that you suspect might be buffered (last watched or recorded from) on either the genie or the client, switching tuners never worked for me, but actually changing the channels has worked on occasion. I suspect because the DVR or the client can't really detect on and off, but can detect the channel change, and then it even offers up the << To Watch from the Beginning message. Also remember that Genie is always looking for free tuners to use for content that DTV pushes to your hard drive.

Buttom line, if you want to watch something, record it. Buffers on wake up are just too unpredictable to rely on, and they aren't a feature anyway.
  • CDJohnson25 likes this

#3 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

only reason I'm looking for it on the Genie is that, occasionally, when I start watching TV, there is something interesting on that I am not recording and had no plans to record. With the HR24, I could back up 90 minutes or less and maybe catch the beginning.  It was a nice feature that is still on my HR24, but not available on HR44 as far as I can tell.

#4 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,437 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

Buttom line, if you want to watch something, record it. Buffers on wake up are just too unpredictable to rely on, and they aren't a feature anyway.

Ya. I now think of my HR44 itself as just another RVU client. When I turn it on, I only expect to see a buffer when it was last tuned to a channel that happens to be currently recording.

• CDJohnson25 likes this
/steve

#5 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

only reason I'm looking for it on the Genie is that, occasionally, when I start watching TV, there is something interesting on that I am not recording and had no plans to record. With the HR24, I could back up 90 minutes or less and maybe catch the beginning.  It was a nice feature that is still on my HR24, but not available on HR44 as far as I can tell.

I totally hear ya! I'm the same way. If my hr24 wasn't so noisy, I'd bring it back to the bedroom just for that buffer ability.
  • CDJohnson25 likes this

#6 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

Genie's haven't had buffers since the HR34 was introduced.   Occasionally something is buffered but its never been a feature of Genie.

• CDJohnson25 likes this

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,577 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

Here's a workaround: Select the channel you think would be most interesting to have a buffer. Set it to start an hour before you arise, and to go three hours after. Set the Series Link to keep one show.

There, you've got your mega-buffer, and it can't go away with an accidental button push, and one show won't push you over if you forget about it or go on vacation.

• CDJohnson25 likes this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

Its leave the unit turned on to the channel you want It in the morning, or do not expect a buffer. Thats about the only thing you can do.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
  • CDJohnson25 likes this

#9 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

Here's a workaround: Select the channel you think would be most interesting to have a buffer. Set it to start an hour before you arise, and to go three hours after. Set it to keep one show.

There, you've got your mega-buffer, and it can't go away with an accidental button push. 

LOL, yeah, I've done that DOH! accidental button push with the buffer before.

as to your suggestion, thank you, but I'd probably end up recording a bunch of stuff I would never watch. My need for the buffer is fairly random, but nice when available.

#10 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

Its leave the unit turned on to the channel you want It in the morning, or do not expect a buffer. Thats about the only thing you can do.

I agree, no one says you have to turn off the Genie.  Many folks leave them on.  Just don't forget to turn off the power save feature so it stays on.

• CDJohnson25 likes this

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,577 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

LOL, yeah, I've done that DOH! accidental button push with the buffer before.

as to your suggestion, thank you, but I'd probably end up recording a bunch of stuff I would never watch. My need for the buffer is fairly random, but nice when available.

That's why the SL is set to save a max of one. Set it to perhaps a morning news program. 

• CDJohnson25 likes this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

The lack of buffering on Genies is a known "feature." Turning off the front panel lights and power saver, and never turning it off is a good solution. Realistically you don't save "that" much power anyway.

I've noticed in general that the live buffer is preserved for roughly four hours, unless a recording takes place during that time (whether it is scheduled, or one of the on demand or Genie Recommends programs) at which point the buffer is dumped.

My suspicion is that this "feature" came about to meet strict energy star requirements, and to be able to explicitly state that the DVR's hard drive isn't unnecessarily chugging along when unused (which, honestly, is a big complaint for some folks.)
  • CDJohnson25 likes this
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,523 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

My suspicion is that this "feature" came about to meet strict energy star requirements, and to be able to explicitly state that the DVR's hard drive isn't unnecessarily chugging along when unused (which, honestly, is a big complaint for some folks.)

This makes sense, although some might not like it

• CDJohnson25 likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

Thanks, Stuart. Can you offer any input about why it takes a channel change vs. a tuner change to reveal a buffer that may be there? When I leave my hr44 and move to my c41 ( both always left on) is when I notice this.

#15 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

On many occasions when I turn on the HR44-700 I still see a buffer on the same channel I had after switching off, but maybe it randomly works.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#16 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

ok, I turned off Power Saving and left the Genie on since last night. When I came home from work this afternoon, I had a 90 minute buffer on the channel it was left on. I adjusted the panel lights to off, and used black electrical tape over the blue DTV light.

This will work for me. Thanks all for helping

#17 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

Thanks, Stuart. Can you offer any input about why it takes a channel change vs. a tuner change to reveal a buffer that may be there? When I leave my hr44 and move to my c41 ( both always left on) is when I notice this.

Um,huh? You mean why can you move to the c41 and change to the same channel and see the buffer that was n the 44 you just left? Actually, when you do that, you aren't really changing channels in that case, you are changing tuners,as it knows that channel is already tuned to on another tuner and just switches tuners so its sharing the tuner with multiple clients and there by leaves the other tuners free for other things. Makes it easier for the genie to do more things at once by optimizing tuner usage.

#18 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

Um,huh? You mean why can you move to the c41 and change to the same channel and see the buffer that was n the 44 you just left? Actually, when you do that, you aren't really changing channels in that case, you are changing tuners,as it knows that channel is already tuned to on another tuner and just switches tuners so its sharing the tuner with multiple clients and there by leaves the other tuners free for other things. Makes it easier for the genie to do more things at once by optimizing tuner usage.

Yes! And I understand that.  But what I'm wondering is why that buffer usually doesn't reveal itself on the C41 if I switch tuners (Doubleplay's down btn) to get to it- even if I hit down twice and flip between tuners on the C41, when one or both of those tuners were just tuned on the HR44.  The buffer only seems to reveals itself (long green line) if I Channel Change or Quick Tune to it on the C41.  Does that make sense?  This is a difficult question to ask.  :hair:

So assuming I leave the HR44 and C41 on all the time, and I was watching CNN and double-tuned to TWC on the 44, then moved to the C41 that was on, say ABC and I push the down button which happens to take me to CNN.  The buffer is not there.  BUT if I hit 2-0-4 to get to CNN (or Quicktune to CNN), only then do I access the buffer.  It'd be nice to see those buffers instantly and/or by just hitting the down btn on the C41.

EDITED MORE: so you turn on the TV at the C41 and its at either CNN or TWC and you think, "shucks, there's no buffers this time" BUT then you start changing channels and GO BACK to either CNN or TWC and Voila!, there are buffers there.    

Edited by itzme, 24 August 2013 - 10:01 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:52 AM

Yes! And I understand that. But what I'm wondering is why that buffer usually doesn't reveal itself on the C41 if I switch tuners (Doubleplay's down btn) to get to it- even if I hit down twice and flip between tuners on the C41, when one or both of those tuners were just tuned on the HR44. The buffer only seems to reveals itself (long green line) if I Channel Change or Quick Tune to it on the C41. Does that make sense? This is a difficult question to ask. :hair:

So assuming I leave the HR44 and C41 on all the time, and I was watching CNN and double-tuned to TWC on the 44, then moved to the C41 that was on, say ABC and I push the down button which happens to take me to CNN. The buffer is not there. BUT if I hit 2-0-4 to get to CNN (or Quicktune to CNN), only then do I access the buffer. It'd be nice to see those buffers instantly and/or by just hitting the down btn on the C41.

EDITED MORE: so you turn on the TV at the C41 and its at either CNN or TWC and you think, "shucks, there's no buffers this time" BUT then you start changing channels and GO BACK to either CNN or TWC and Voila!, there are buffers there.

Ah, well my guess is that when it starts up it simply Choses an unused tuner and tunes to the last channel it remembered being set to. However, when you purposefully change channels it then looks at the other tuners and if it sees one already tuned to the channel it will grab that one with the buffer. At least that is what it sounds like its doing.

I have never tried tuning to a station, then turning the mini off, then coming back ages latter after having the same channel on another device and seeing if it grabs the buffer or not. Maybe I'll try that latter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: genie, buffer, start

spam firewall