Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

External hard drive

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

Got a question for y'all for my brother. He currently has a 722k system and is moving and will have a 1 hopper 2 Joey system installed at the new house. He is wanting to know what would be the best external hard drive to use to move the recordings from the 722k to his new hopper system. The 722k and the hopper will not be hooked up at the same time so any advice would be great. What we would really like is a hard drive model that has been proven to work from 722k to hopper.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

Any chance to help your brother by Searching and reading ? ;)

No ?

Well, the answer - ANY  USB 2.0 compatible enclosure with up to 2 TB ANY SATA drive.

#3 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

I have heard in the past that some hard drives have been known not to work. Is it true that all will work now? Also I do not have a 722k so I do not know but my 722 appears to only have USB ports. If that is the case with the K model how would I use a SATA drive to do what I have described? What I am looking for is a person that has transferred from the two specific receivers that I mentioned and would like to know exactly what model EHD that said person used to be successful in doing what I have described. When he moves it will be a quick deal and there will not be a chance to have both boxes hooked up at the same time so therefore there is no room for error. What I am not looking for is rudeness or condescending remarks towards my posts. I know the company line on what hard drives to use what I need is some real world experience to prevent screw ups that will cause lost recordings.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,853 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

OK.

We have a lot of threads about EHD (enclosures and drives) with a ton of info. And it's at your finger tips.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

In theory any compatible hard drive that meets the minimum requirements (50MB I think, non-USB-powered, up to 2TB, USB 2.0 interface) should work...  but yeah, from time to time some people have problems with drives from some manufacturers.  I don't know if there is any 100% reliable magic bullet.

I use WD drives, but had one on my computer that I was using for iTunes fail most spectacularly... so the next drive I bought was a Seagate.  I haven't had any EHD failures on my Dish DVRs, though.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

Are you currently using a WD or a seagate on your sat. receiver? I only ask to get a better idea of known good EHD's. That you for your help Steward.

#7 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

I use a 1TB WD drive. It was attached to my 622 now my Hopper. You need one with a separate AC power supply. Some folks re[port that just using the USB port for power works but that is not supported by Dish.

#8 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

I have 2 hoppers and the hard drives on them is large enough that we haven't come close to filling them in 3 months.

I have 8-10 SATA drives and 4 drive docks that I haven't used since the upgrade.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#9 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

Yeah I am sure that 2tb hard drive is going to take some time to fill. Main reason he is looking for the EHD options is to move some recordings from one receiver to another. Y'all have been a big help. I am sure we will get it done with the info that has been provided here.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

Are you currently using a WD or a seagate on your sat. receiver? I only ask to get a better idea of known good EHD's. That you for your help Steward.

I'm using a 500GB MyBook Essential WD on my 922 right now.  I used to have a 1TB one that I also used, but had to repurpose that when my other WD drive failed that I had been using on the computer.

• CeeWoo likes this

#11 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

How does one connect both a broadband and a external hard drive to USB rear connector at same time?

#12 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

It depends on the receiver. On the Hopper there 3 USB ports, two rear and one front. You can connect an EHD to one of the ports and a USB WiFi dongle to another. Or use the built in Ethernet port if possible. What receiver do you have?

#13 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,853 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

How does one connect both a broadband and a external hard drive to USB rear connector at same time?

check a manual, 622/722 has two USB ports

#15 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 340 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

I'm using a 500GB MyBook Essential WD on my 922 right now.  I used to have a 1TB one that I also used, but had to repurpose that when my other WD drive failed that I had been using on the computer.

Hi Stewart-you're using what I'm thinking of adding to my 722k...how much recording time in HD does 500G add?  I know that''s about the same size drive that is installed in the 722k but I've seen reports that an external gets MUCH better mileage.  (Maybe because all the operating system is on the internal drive???)

#16 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:52 AM

How would I get an EHD from Dish? I'm disabled & I cannot use my hands  at all. I love movies, but VIP 227 DVR fills up fast.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#17 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

I don't believe Dish sells them. Office stores, computer stores. Costco, Frys, Amazon, etc. are some sources. "EHD" is just a term Dish uses to describe hooking a USB external hard disk up to their boxes, so you generally don't want to ask for "EHD", but rather something like "USB Hard Drive". - preferably one that is not powered by USB. (ie comes with a power supply brick.) Someone will need to plug in the brick and the USB cable. After that, it is run from the Dish remote.

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

There should be at least 2 USB ports (front and rear) on most Dish receivers.

In the event that there is not OR there is a problem with one OR you are already using the port for something else...  you can plug a USB hub into the USB port.  I have a powered USB hub that I use.

Hi Stewart-you're using what I'm thinking of adding to my 722k...how much recording time in HD does 500G add?  I know that''s about the same size drive that is installed in the 722k but I've seen reports that an external gets MUCH better mileage.  (Maybe because all the operating system is on the internal drive???)

Hard to say...  the recording time is variable due to the kind of content and whether or not you record from OTA or just SAT channels.  I know that I currently don't have mine full and it does have more on it than I originally was able to have on a 722 receiver.  I use it mainly with my 922 now, though so it is harder to compare as the 922 has a larger internal drive.

How would I get an EHD from Dish? I'm disabled & I cannot use my hands  at all. I love movies, but VIP 227 DVR fills up fast.

Dish doesn't sell them... but someone could probably pick up one for you at any local store that sells them OR order one from Amazon to have someone hook up.  The actual installation is pretty simple and you can leave it plugged into the DVR all the time so once someone connects it, you shouldn't have to do anything else to it to use it day-to-day.

#19 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:42 AM

In my experience using a USB hub to share the rear port on a 722 between the WiFi adapter and a Sling adapter the USB hub must be powered. Either would work alone without external power but both will not.

#20 OFFLINE   otnipj3s

otnipj3s

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

Yes, my 722k has the broadband hooked up to the back usb, my ehd to the front usb.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...