Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

External hard drive

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

What type of powered USB hub works best on 722/ I'm thinking about getting one from Monoprice.com will it slow down my EHD any?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

any powered hub will work at best

#23 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

Thanks...btw-I ended up ordering a reconditioned, 1TB My Book Essential from an online retailer for $50 delivered so I'm anxiously awaiting it

Hard to say...  the recording time is variable due to the kind of content and whether or not you record from OTA or just SAT channels.  I know that I currently don't have mine full and it does have more on it than I originally was able to have on a 722 receiver.  I use it mainly with my 922 now, though so it is harder to compare as the 922 has a larger internal drive.

Edited by CeeWoo, 29 September 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

Any chance to help your brother by Searching and reading ? ;)

No ?

Well, the answer - ANY  USB 2.0 compatible enclosure with up to 2 TB ANY SATA drive.

I had hoped that by now (with the Hopper at least) that the 2TB limit would have been surpassed - but alas not so.  :scratch:

Oh well...  Looks like I'll be ordering another 2TB from Amazon.  :roundandr

John

Two ViP622s - DPP-44 - Three Dish500s: #1 (110°/119° - Twin), #2 (61.5° - Dual), #3 (129° - Dual)

#25 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

any powered hub will work at best

Any self-powered drive will work as good or better.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#26 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

Got a question for y'all for my brother. He currently has a 722k system and is moving and will have a 1 hopper 2 Joey system installed at the new house. He is wanting to know what would be the best external hard drive to use to move the recordings from the 722k to his new hopper system. The 722k and the hopper will not be hooked up at the same time so any advice would be great. What we would really like is a hard drive model that has been proven to work from 722k to hopper.

How do I get an external hard drive?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#27 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

Paul,

They can be mail ordered from Amazon, Frys, Newegg etc.  Typical price for a 2 TB is around $100 plus tax and shipping.

Steps involved to connect it are.

1.  Plug in power supply to Drive and 120V

2.  Connect USB cable from Drive to your 722

At that point a menu will come up asking if you want to connect the drive.  I can't remember if you have to signup for External Drive on Dish network.  Seems I did have to do that, so you would do that first, then connect the drives.

It is a pretty simple hookup that takes maybe a few minutes if you have a friend locally that can help.

Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#28 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

I connected an external hd to my 722k for the first time just a couple weeks ago.  Did not need to contact Dish.  Just connected drive, turned on the receiver and followed the onscreen prompts that came up.  Super easy

#29 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:46 AM

I hooked up my WD EHD and It worked fine until now, when I click on my media option and it goes to the hard drive its slow and unresponsive and causes my 722 to go crazy, my programming when I try to watch a channel has error codes with like my receiver is out my viewing area or Im not subscribed to that channel, its almost acting like the old web tv internet boxes of the 90's. that would lock up. after doing re-boot after re-boot I've disconnected the EHD and now my 722 is back to normal. So is my external hard drive bad I've tried about all I know disconnect all cable and reconnect re-boots Help lol

#30 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:00 PM

Tiny,

I know this can be frustrating and I am happy to help you today! Would you PM me with the phone number on the account and error message(s) you’re getting?

Thanks

#31 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

I hooked up my WD EHD and It worked fine until now, when I click on my media option and it goes to the hard drive its slow and unresponsive and causes my 722 to go crazy, my programming when I try to watch a channel has error codes with like my receiver is out my viewing area or Im not subscribed to that channel, its almost acting like the old web tv internet boxes of the 90's. that would lock up. after doing re-boot after re-boot I've disconnected the EHD and now my 722 is back to normal. So is my external hard drive bad I've tried about all I know disconnect all cable and reconnect re-boots Help lol

connect to PC, run diags progs like WD providing at its web site or MHDD or Victoria

#32 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

Have u a link to share thanks

#33 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 684 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:06 PM

I dont see any HD's on monoprice.  And its only for recievers that are NOT dvrs where u need to pay the 'enabling' fee for an external HD.  All DVRs are plug & play w/ Ext. drives.  No call needed.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#34 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:26 AM

Try Amazon or Newegg, even Tiger Direct or best buy has them.

#35 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 684 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

Actually Costco has a pretty good deal.  A 1 TB Seagate ext. on sale for $59

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

Protected By... spam firewall...And...