Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Monthly Reimbursement for New Owner Purchased Receivers???

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   flexpackman

flexpackman

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

To set the stage....

I made my yearly call to DirecTV today to see what kind of discounts I could get on Sunday Ticket, Red Zone, etc. Got another good deal IMHO, but on to the topic.

I inquired about getting a Genie upgrade and the CSR said no problem, with a 2 year re-up....

Now I've been a subscriber since the beginning and been in the CSR carousel many times, mostly with Retention, and in this case also. But this CSR appeared to have her stuff together!

I asked the question about would I get an HR34 or HR44. She said she would put it in the Work Order notes that the customer desired an HR44, but no guarantees. I know, we'll see. But the local DirecTV depot is 2 miles from my house, so I know where they live...

NOW, I asked if I was to purchase an HR44 on my own, if I could get a credit against my account for the purchase price. She informed me that in the last 90 days that their policy had changed and could no longer do that. She told me they had reverted back to allowing "owned" receivers and not charging the monthly DVR cost for a customer owned receiver. 

I said "Excuse Me", are you sure? She said absolutely and that she had done a few already.

Searched the forum on "Lease" topics and have seen nothing about this.

So.... Fact or Fiction anyone?

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,449 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

Nope, regardless of "own" or "lease" status of receiver, you must pay a monthly fee of $6.00 a month 

• zuf likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,097 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

And they never stopped allowing owned receivers on the account. 

#4 OFFLINE   flexpackman

flexpackman

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

I agree on this point as I had one up to two years ago still owned.

To add to what was discussed after the CSR's statement. I responded "So I would basically be getting $72 a year (12 x $6) to recoup my investment in a HR44". CSR's response, "Yes".

I think that's where the coffee must have run out....

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,449 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

but the TS said the CSR informed him that DirecTV was allowing "owned" receivers in lieu of the monthly fee, which is not accurate

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   flexpackman

flexpackman

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

I suppose I should have made the Topic "Monthly Reimbursement for New Owner Purchased Receivers"... 

I can't change it, maybe a Mod can.

My point was not that the "monthly" fee is being waived forever.

Others in the past have have purchased a new receiver since the lease program went into effect and if you found the "right" CSR, could get the cost of the receiver reimbursed by putting a credit on your account for the full price all at one time.

Purchase a DVR for say, $199, and a $199 credit would be put on your account. 

What the CSR said she could "only" do now is credit me $6 a month till the $199 purchase price was reimbursed.

Sorry for any confusion from the original post...

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

And with regard to the HR44, there are extremely few owned units in existence. I'm certain you will not find one on any public site (ebay, craigslist, etc.). If you purchase one from a 3rd party vendor such as Solid Signal, it is still a leased receiver.  I don't know if you can purchase one to own from DirecTV or not, but if you can it will cost considerably more than the "lease" price. Only way to find out for sure would be to call and ask, probably the access card department.

#8 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:14 AM

To be clear (and then confusing), there is no receiver fee. The $6 monthly charge is a TV fee, as in "per TV" (except the first TV, which is "included"). This is pure semantics based on legal advice, to avoid issues with programming providers, the FCC and imagined demons in the future. If a receiver is connected to the account (via access card), then there is a $6 fee (as mentioned above by ped48). There are no standard exceptions--however, there are ever-changing promotions for which customers can sometimes qualify. To end, there isn't a $6/month-discount-until-your-receiver-is-paid-off-promo that I've ever heard of.

Unless the CSR manipulated the system in some way (which we will not discuss), it is entirely possible that you've been misled. Unless you place a PURCHASE order (vs LEASED) by calling 800-531-5000--or purchase a receiver directly from someone who already did the same thing--receivers, including the HR44, are considered leased (even if you "buy" it from a dealer--as mentioned above by peds48 and carl6). Purchase orders are a slightly different animal, for customers with unusual/unique situations, who are willing to pay hefty up-front charges in return for convenience and flexibility. It would be more than $199.

Best is to check your account online for changes/adjustments/modifications, or call 800-531-5000 and attempt to confirm with a supervisor.

Good luck!

-=K=-

#9 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 817 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:25 AM

This is not correct in any way. And for a genie the best you can hope for is leased without a commitment for $399 with no discounts.
Still pay all monthly DVR/HD/MRV fees.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,449 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

If a receiver is connected to the account (via access card), then there is a $6 fee (as mentioned above by ped48). 

Access cards are a moot point now since we have RVU TV and Genie minis with no access card and they have the same TV fee

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

To be clear (and then confusing), there is no receiver fee. The $6 monthly charge is a TV fee, as in "per TV" (except the first TV, which is "included"). This is pure semantics based on legal advice, to avoid issues with programming providers, the FCC and imagined demons in the future. If a receiver is connected to the account (via access card), then there is a $6 fee (as mentioned above by ped48). There are no standard exceptions--however, there are ever-changing promotions for which customers can sometimes qualify. To end, there isn't a $6/month-discount-until-your-receiver-is-paid-off-promo that I've ever heard of.

Unless the CSR manipulated the system in some way (which we will not discuss), it is entirely possible that you've been misled. Unless you place a PURCHASE order (vs LEASED) by calling 800-531-5000--or purchase a receiver directly from someone who already did the same thing--receivers, including the HR44, are considered leased (even if you "buy" it from a dealer--as mentioned above by peds48 and carl6). Purchase orders are a slightly different animal, for customers with unusual/unique situations, who are willing to pay hefty up-front charges in return for convenience and flexibility. It would be more than $199.

Best is to check your account online for changes/adjustments/modifications, or call 800-531-5000 and attempt to confirm with a supervisor.

Good luck!

-=K=-

That is not completely true.  I would imagine people can still find a HR21 Pro available from some site out there.  Those were all considered owned.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#12 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

This is not correct in any way. And for a genie the best you can hope for is leased without a commitment for $399 with no discounts.
Still pay all monthly DVR/HD/MRV fees.

That is not true either.  There are accounts out there with owned Genie's on them.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#13 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

I don't understand the whole lease/own discussion anyway.  At the end of the day who really cares???  There are only two benefits to having owned equipment that I see:

• If you need to deactivate a receiver you can do so without sending it back
  • You aren't under contract if you get one

Both of these seem like minimal reasons to even be having this discussion.  NOW, if buying a receiver avoided the $6.00 per month charge???  Well NOW we are talking.

To be clear (and then confusing), there is no receiver fee. The $6 monthly charge is a TV fee, as in "per TV" (except the first TV, which is "included"). This is pure semantics based on legal advice, to avoid issues with programming providers, the FCC and imagined demons in the future.

I am no lawyer, but I cannot imagine this is true.  If that was the case are you saying that the providers are getting some of that $6.00??  I am pretty sure they aren't, which makes it simply a money grab for D*, bottom line.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!
My current setup can be found here!

#14 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

This is not accurate either. The $6 fee is per receiver/client and not per TV as you can have multiple receivers/clients connected to one TV. The first receiver is included in the monthly programming cost. Just to be clear, a TV can have a client built into it if it is an RVU-enabled TV, so I guess you can technically say that in that case the fee is for the TV.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#15 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 817 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

That is not true either. There are accounts out there with owned Genie's on them.

Ok, yes, I have one.

I suppose I should have said "If you are not a DirecTV employee, when purchasing one from DirecTV the best you can hope for is...."

Better?

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,449 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

NOW, if buying a receiver avoided the $6.00 per month charge???  Well NOW we are talking.

Also I dont think that even saving the $6.00 a month is a good reason to "buy" a receiver, as you would still come behind after the 2 years in which you will qualify for a "free" upgrade.  NOW if you save the $6.00 PLUS the ARS of $25.00, then and only then, we are talking......

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

I still have three owned HRs on my account.  They are not the original receivers having been replaced over the years under the PP.  I confirm their owned status with the Access Card Team periodically.  Maybe someday when DirecTV has no more refurbed older receivers and I have a failure they'll send me a Genie.  ;)

Edited by Jon J, 22 August 2013 - 09:01 AM.

When news breaks...we fix it.

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,449 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

Maybe someday when DirecTV has no more refurbed older receivers and I have a failure they'll send me a Genie.  ;)

One can only hope!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

Both posts about the $6 fee are a little bit off.  The $6 fee isn't a receiver fee or a TV fee it is a mirroring fee.  They charge $6/month to mirror your channel package to another device, whether that device is a DirecTV receiver of some sort (leased or owned both get the fee) or an RVU client.

That is why I strongly disagree with DirecTV charging that same $6 fee for RVU clients past the 3rd one.   You can't mirror the programming to more than 3 clients at any one time, so to me they should not be charging for more than three of them.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,449 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

Both posts about the $6 fee are a little bit off.  The $6 fee isn't a receiver fee or a TV fee it is a mirroring fee.  They charge $6/month to mirror your channel package to another device, whether that device is a DirecTV receiver of some sort (leased or owned both get the fee) or an RVU client.

That is why I strongly disagree with DirecTV charging that same $6 fee for RVU clients past the 3rd one.   You can't mirror the programming to more than 3 clients at any one time, so to me they should not be charging for more than three of them.

Because of the RVUs DirecTV stopped calling it a mirror fee.  since the RVU dont actually mirror the programming.  The are accessing a tuner from the Genie.  in order to mirror, you need an access card to mirror to.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...