Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does DirecTV (and Dish for that matter) have some responsibility to flex their muscles with CBS???

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

So prior to this whole TWC/CBS garbage, I would have never attached the ability to view CBS.com content with paying for CBS television service.  CBS seems to have changed the landscape.  

As you know, CBS made the decision to block all TWC INTERNET customers from viewing CBS.com videos.  What about DirecTV customers (and Dish for that matter) that are PAYING for CBS access???  Their contract is intact yet they have no access to the data simply because of their ISP???  I really think the satellite providers have some responsibility here to AT LEAST ATTEMPT to get CBS to develop a workaround on this issue for their PAYING customers.

What do you guys think??  I already complained to CBS but of course my message went unanswered.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!
My current setup can be found here!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

Sounds  reasonable to me.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:29 AM

I think that while your logic isn't bad truth is you don't pay a penny for the online content from CBS and never have. Not through dtv or any other tv provider anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#4 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:58 AM

I think that while your logic isn't bad truth is you don't pay a penny for the online content from CBS and never have. Not through dtv or any other tv provider anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Really??  Do you know how expensive it is to have server farms, bandwidth, and people to manage all of that stuff???  Where do you think that money comes from (at least some of it).

The truth is we are definitely paying for it, albeit indirectly.  Also the proof is in the pudding, since TWC is no longer giving CBS any money, and now that online content is gone for TWC internet subscribers.  

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

FX, Comedy Central and others did the same thing last year in their fight with DirecTV.  Unfortunately it's a bargaining tactic in this day and age.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:10 AM

FX, Comedy Central and others did the same thing last year in their fight with DirecTV.  Unfortunately it's a bargaining tactic in this day and age.

What did they do exactly?

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:11 AM

What did they do exactly?

Blocked Internet content.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:12 AM

Blocked Internet content.

How did they block internet contact to DirecTV subscribers???

• FenixTX likes this

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#9 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

ACTUALLY - My last post above really doesn't matter.

Let's say they had some way to only block their content for DirecTV customers.  I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH THAT.  You are a DirecTV customer, and DirecTV is no longer giving them money, therefore you aren't giving them money, so you shouldn't be able to see that content (as much as it may suck).

That isn't the situation here.

TWC is having a dispute with CBS which affects CABLE TV customers.  CBS thought they would be slick and block all TWC IP addresses from viewing their online content.  There is one problem with that.  I (just like many others) don't use TWC for my TV, just internet.  So while I currently PAY for CBS through DirecTV (which has a valid contract), I am still blacked out from online content because of the TWC/CBS dispute.

Edited by Milkman, 22 August 2013 - 07:19 AM.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#10 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

Didn't they block it for everyone? I can't remember. It wasn't just DirecTV subs if I recall.
Go Big Red!!!

#11 OFFLINE   ttodd1

ttodd1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

I recall sometime last year when I was between houses and wanted to watch shows that were on TNT (I know not same network)  I had to login with my DTV account info in order to watch any of the shows on their site.  Now if CBS really wanted to be 'fair' they could do something like that.

#12 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

I recall sometime last year when I was between houses and wanted to watch shows that were on TNT (I know not same network)  I had to login with my DTV account info in order to watch any of the shows on their site.  Now if CBS really wanted to be 'fair' they could do something like that.

That is EXACTLY what I would expect, instead of this half-assed, unfair practice.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

Contact CBS again? It seems patently unfair.

#14 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,963 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

Why do you care? Just record what you want to watch off Directv.

The stuff on cbs.com is provided free with no warranties or guarantees. The argument that you're paying for it because you're paying for Directv and they pay CBS (via its affiliates) is pretty weak, since the reason the networks set up these web sites was as a promotional tool to help build an audience for their shows. Pretty sure they consider the server farm as an advertising expense.

Directv could say something to CBS, but I'm not sure exactly how you expect them to "flex their muscles". Unless Directv had it written in their contracts with affiliates that their subscribers will have access to cbs.com, they have no ground on which to stand. I highly doubt it will be something they care about when its their turn to renegotiate, they'll be concerned with limiting the cost, not adding on stuff like a cbs.com guarantee that they'd have to pay extra for!

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#15 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

They blocked everyone.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#16 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

ACTUALLY - My last post above really doesn't matter.

Let's say they had some way to only block their content for DirecTV customers.  I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH THAT.  You are a DirecTV customer, and DirecTV is no longer giving them money, therefore you aren't giving them money, so you shouldn't be able to see that content (as much as it may suck).

That isn't the situation here.

TWC is having a dispute with CBS which affects CABLE TV customers.  CBS thought they would be slick and block all TWC IP addresses from viewing their online content.  There is one problem with that.  I (just like many others) don't use TWC for my TV, just internet.  So while I currently PAY for CBS through DirecTV (which has a valid contract), I am still blacked out from online content because of the TWC/CBS dispute.

There's absolutely no way for CBS to figure which TWC customers are Internet only customers.  To them you're just a TWC customer, they are not on TWC right now so you're blocked.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#17 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

When FX (I think it was them) was off DirecTV last year they completely removed their shows from the internet for everyone.  Didn't matter if you had Dish, Comcast, Verizon, who your internet provider was, etc. nobody could watch those shows online.  They caught a lot of flack about that decision too.

CBS seems like they are trying to make it a bit more fair by blocking anyone with a Time Warner Cable IP address.  While this is better than blocking everyone, it does still kind of screw over people like Milkman who uses Time Warner Cable for internet, but not for TV service.  He's saying he should still be able to watch those shows online, just like someone else with DirecTV service and a different internet provider like Comcast, or Frontier, etc. can.  I agree with him, he should be able to but that's evidently not going to happen right now.

What all these channels need to do is start treating it like HBO Go and some of the other channels.  You log in with your account credentials for your TV service, they can then check that to verify you subscribe to that channel and then they give you access to the shows.  It doesn't matter what internet provider you are using (as long as you are in the U.S.A.).  If CBS were to do it this way Milkman could log in with his DirecTV login/password and CBS would be able to verify that he is a DirecTV subscriber with access to their channels, so they would give him access to the shows even if he was using a Time Warner Cable IP address.  Meanwhile people with Time Warner Cable TV service would try to log in with their Time Warner login and password and they would get a screen telling them that they no longer have access, they should call Time Warner and complain or switch to a different TV provider etc.

• Milkman likes this
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#18 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

Yes, the privilege of watching attaches to the TV service, not the ISP, and there should be a way to authenticate à la HGO GO or GenieGo for that matter, leaving the ISP out. 

#19 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

Agreed, CBS (And everyone) should implement some sort of login so you can verify your provider.  CBS in this case is just plain lazy.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#20 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,703 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

Since they don't tie the access to a contract, they are actually violating the rules (laws?) of Internet neutrality. Report them to the FCC.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...