Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AM21 tuner works with D12 receiver?

AM21 D12 reciever directv

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lakeral24

Lakeral24

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:15 AM

Hello, I wanted to know if anyone knows if the directv AM21 tuner integrates with a D12 receiver? I want to integrate OTA channels into my program guide, but can not so far. So I heard about the tuner working,
But wanted to make sure if it works with D12?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:47 AM

Its does not work with a D12 receiver.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#3 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:19 AM

And assuming by the question about the D12 its SD service you have;

The only receiver you can use for SD only service which is compatible with the AM21 is an R22.   

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#4 OFFLINE   Lakeral24

Lakeral24

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

Okay thanks, So the R22 receiver would integrate the OTA channels into program guide?

#5 OFFLINE   Lakeral24

Lakeral24

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

Also, my D12 receiver has a USB port in the back, so I thought it might work with the tuner since it connects via USB

#6 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

Okay thanks, So the R22 receiver would integrate the OTA channels into program guide?

Yes;

And one additional side benefit of the R22, if you happen to be in an MPEG-4 only locals market, DIRECTV will allow the R22 to receive whatever satellite delivered locals in HD as well.

Edited by HoTat2, 22 August 2013 - 11:18 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,967 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:51 AM

The problem is getting an R22.....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

Yes;

And one additional side benefit of the R22, if you happen to be in an MPEG-4 only locals market, DIRECTV will allow the R22 to receive whatever satellite delivered locals in HD as well.

If he lived in an MPEG-4 only market he wouldn't have a D12, he would have an H2x (they only install MPEG-4 capable receivers in MPEG-4 only locations).

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#9 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

If he lived in an MPEG-4 only market he wouldn't have a D12, he would have an H2x (they only install MPEG-4 capable receivers in MPEG-4 only locations).

I know;

I just added that additional comment for the sake of other readers here who happen to live in such MPEG-4 only areas. Not that the current TS is in one,

Perhaps I should have phrased it better.

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

The problem is getting an R22.....

That's naturally what I thought as well, that the R22 was essentially history.

However, I was surprised to see a July 3rd 2013 Blast Facts titled "R22 Re-introduced to SD-DVR Lineup," in the latest DIRECTV August "Must See" training video with the commentator saying "the R22 was returning to the field." :confused:  

Followed by another Blast Facts dated July 10th 2013, stating the R22 was also to be broadband eligible as well.        

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,967 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

That's naturally what I thought as well, that the R22 was essentially history.

However, I was surprised to see a July 3rd 2013 Blast Facts titled "R22 Re-introduced to SD-DVR Lineup," in the latest DIRECTV August "Must See" training video with the commentator saying "the R22 was returning to the field." :confused:  

Followed by another Blast Facts dated July 10th 2013, stating the R22 was also to be broadband eligible as well.        

that is all true, but since there are not many of these units,(production stopped awhile ago)  it makes that much harder.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   Lakeral24

Lakeral24

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

Can some one give me a list of directv receivers that will integrate OTA channels into program guide with and without AM21 tuner?

Thanks!

#13 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:08 AM

Can some one give me a list of directv receivers that will integrate OTA channels into program guide with and without AM21 tuner?

Thanks!

Hughes HR10-250 - Obsolete as a satellite HD receiver and DVR, but will receive OTA DTV channels through dual integrated ATSC tuners.

H20 - Obsolete satellite HD receiver, but will receive satellite HD and OTA DTV channels through a single integrated ATSC tuner,

HR20 - Soon to be obsolete satellite HD-DVR. Will receive OTA DTV channels with it's dual integrated ATSC off-air tuners.

H21 - Older HD receiver, will receive OTA ATSC channels using a single tuner from the AM21(N).

HR21 - Older HD-DVR, will receive OTA ATSC channels from both tuners of an AM21(N)

R22 - Older but "unique" SD/HD-DVR, will receive and integrate into guide OTA ATSC channels from both tuners of an AM21(N).

HR22 - Older HD-DVR, will receive and integrate into guide OTA ATSC channels from both tuners of an AM21(N)

H23 - Older HD receiver, will receive and integrate into guide OTA ATSC channels from a single tuner of an AM21(N).

HR23 - Older HD-DVR, will receive and integrate into guide OTA ATSC channels from both tuners of an AM21(N).

H24 - Newer HD receiver, will receive and integrate into guide off-air ATSC channels from a single tuner of an AM21(N).

HR24 - Newer HD-DVR, will receive and integrate into guide off-air ATSC channels from both tuners of an AM21(N).

H25 - Newer HD receiver, will receive and integrate into guide off-air ATSC channels from a single tuner of an AM21(N).

THR22 - Newer TIVO HD-DVR (HR22 platform) will receive OTA channel and integrate them into guide from both tuners of an AM21(N)

HR34 (Genie) - Newer HD-DVR and MRV/RVU server, will receive and integrate into guide OTA ATSC channels from both tuners of an AM21(N).

HR44 (Genie) - Newest HD-DVR and MRV/RVU server, will receive and integrate into guide OTA ATSC channels from both tuners of an AM21(N).

This about covers it in a nutshell and historical order from what I can remember .... 

EDIT: Sorry, forgot earlier to add the HD-TIVO, which is easy to do given its limitations and the way its treated by DIRECTV :) 

Edited by HoTat2, 23 August 2013 - 07:23 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   moghedien

moghedien

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:17 AM

Thanks!

Any receiver on this page listed under "HDTV Directv Satellite Tuners" should have either an integrated ATSC tuner or can be connected to the AM21(Directv branded receivers only...)

http://www.tech-faq....-receivers.html

#15 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,466 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

H20 - Obsolete satellite HD receiver, but will receive satellite HD and OTA DTV channels through a single integrated ATSC tuner,

I realize the H20 is considered obsolete by Directv because it won't integrate into a whole home network, but since it works perfectly in both a SWM or non-SWM setup and includes a ATSC tuner it may be perfect for Lakeral24's needs. It is HD, but obviously can connect to a SD TV as well. He'd have to buy an owned one off Ebay, but they're pretty cheap and readily available. Since Directv makes you buy the AM21 (I think?) it might make sense to buy an H20 instead. Just make sure you get an H20-100, the few -600s that may still be functional are probably on their way out. -100s by comparison have been very reliable - I have I think 16 of them now, only one has ever died. I've got only one -600 left, and a half dozen dead ones sitting in storage waiting for me to have the time to recycle them with Directv.

You also left out the H10, which has an ATSC/NTSC tuner. It works only in a legacy (non-SWM) install, and only receives Directv programming in SD, but displays ATSC locals in HD via HDMI or component. I recently activated a couple I'd had sitting in storage unused since summer 2006, one for an office, the other for Sonictap. Not worth trying to acquire unless you already have one or get it for free, just thought I'd point out the omission :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AM21, D12, reciever, directv

Protected By... spam firewall...And...