Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ESPN exec is willing to talk to Google, Sony, Intel about IPTV -- if they'll take bundles

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:10 AM

ESPN exec is willing to talk to Google, Sony, Intel about IPTV -- if they'll take bundles

For those who find sports is the string keeping them from cutting loose of traditional pay-TV services, ESPN president John Skipper's comments today are a bit of good news / bad news. 

Speaking to Bloomberg, he revealed the network has had talks to offer its content on internet TV services like the ones we've heard Google, Sony and Intel (among others *cough Apple*) are interested in offering. What he and a network spokesman made clear however, is that any agreement would involve those services offering a package of channels, just like current cable, satellite and telco providers. 

watchespn-xbox-360.jpg
Engadget

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:56 AM

We need to separate the two, the broadcasters hold all the power.

#3 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

I just don't like bundles being discussed, that is where they are removing choice again from us the consumer. And it will be no different then what is offered today from Cable and Dish

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#4 ONLINE   John W

John W

Icon

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:56 AM

I just don't like bundles being discussed, that is where they are removing choice again from us the consumer. And it will be no different then what is offered today from Cable and Dish

That's not how it will wind up in the end, Skipper just doesn't realize it yet. Or doesn't want to.

#5 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

What I want to know is what do they mean by bundles?  Are they talking you have to get an ESPN bundle with all the ESPN channels, or an ESPN/Disney/ABC bundle with all those channels, or a full blown bundle like Choice/Choice Extra where they are tied to channels from other companies as well?  If it's just an ESPN or ESPN/Disney/ABC bundle then it is at least something a little bit new/different and it would be interesting to see how it works out, but if it's not then there is nothing new to see here.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#6 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:13 AM

If the bundle is just ESPN channels, that would be ok with me.  Disney needs to be separated from ESPN for channel packages.  If they want to offer a combination of the two along with a ESPN and a Disney one, I'm ok with that too.  Just offer us real choices.

my setup here

#7 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

Sounds to me like an opening bargaining position.  They have to start somewhere.

The interesting part of this is that it is happening at all.  IPTV today is far different than it was just 6 months ago.......

Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

#8 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

Disney makes a lot of money from ESPN and only a fool will believe Disney will give that up for free or cheep.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#9 OFFLINE   CincySaint

CincySaint

AllStar

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

Folks -- I know everyone wants a la carte offerings but to say Disney "has to this" or "should do this" is not relevant.  They are a private business that can sell their products in whatever form they see fit.

Hopefully (based on the tone of the Bloomberg article), they are talking about an ESPN bundle.   But don't be shocked when the price is high -- they are already getting an estimated $5/mo/sub from cable/satellite.   To avoid cannibalizing their current bundles (which include ABC properties) and avoid pissing off their cable/sat partners, the cost of a standalone ESPN package could be considerably higher than $5 a month.

• PCampbell likes this

#10 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

^^^

For the sake of argument, let's say they charge double, $10 per sub.

If all I want is sports, locals, news and movies - and don't want all of those 'other' channels I never watch - then I can see where my total cost may be less than what I am paying now.

ESPN package - $10

Amazon Prime - I had it even before their current included video offering, so I won't count it here.

Netflix - Already have it - so same as Amazon

I could then see me adding an Intel, Sony or Google service for about $30 giving me some of the other stuff I want.

MLB would be about the same, and I'm thinking the NFL will eventually be delivered like MLB is today.

I'm seeing this as the future of TV.

Folks under 30 want this. Most of them don't even know OTA exists. They live in a 'connected' world, and to them paying $125 per month for TV is insane. This is one of the chief reasons why total subs for cable and satellite dropped last quarter. Most of them will never have a land-line phone for the same reason.

Thing is, 6 months ago I thought this was years away.  Now I'm not so sure - I think it's here, certainly before the end of this decade. When names like Intel, Google and Sony get bandied about as they have in the last 45 days, it's interesting to see an ESPN (really Disney) say something about it as well.

#11 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

I can see ESPN on IPTV but knowing Disney it will not be less than they get from Cable/Sat, when is the last time Disney lowered there price on anything. They also must cover what they pay to teams to get the rights and that is a LOT of money. Yes at 10 a month it would be great but it will be more like 25 a month.

Edited by PCampbell, 22 August 2013 - 01:36 PM.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#12 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

^^^

If all I want is sports, locals, news and movies - and don't want all of those 'other' channels I never watch - then I can see where my total cost may be less than what I am paying now.

ESPN package - $10

Amazon Prime - I had it even before their current included video offering, so I won't count it here.

Netflix - Already have it - so same as Amazon

I could then see me adding an Intel, Sony or Google service for about $30 giving me some of the other stuff I want.

MLB would be about the same, and I'm thinking the NFL will eventually be delivered like MLB is today.

I'm seeing this as the future of TV.

Folks under 30 want this. Most of them don't even know OTA exists. They live in a 'connected' world, and to them paying $125 per month for TV is insane. This is one of the chief reasons why total subs for cable and satellite dropped last quarter. Most of them will never have a land-line phone for the same reason.

Thing is, 6 months ago I thought this was years away.  Now I'm not so sure - I think it's here, certainly before the end of this decade. When names like Intel, Google and Sony get bandied about as they have in the last 45 days, it's interesting to see an ESPN (really Disney) say something about it as well.

Same here with Amazon Prime & NetFlix.

And if Cable isn't careful they could fall big time, I think Comcast has gotten the hint with there new X1 & X2 receivers coming with Internet apps built in from what I've read. The only thing Cable TV has going for it in the years to come is high speed, it maybe there only saving grace. I can't see how DirecTV and Dish Network will survive another 10 years if they can't figure a way to get high speed technology working with there dishes at a reasonable price and bandwidth.

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#13 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

Choice is great but how do the "under 30's" (that do not pay $125/mo for TV service) get connected in the first place?  No way I can live with streaming everything to my home via my ATT 4G cell service.  Between the intermittent slow-downs and capping it is not practical.  My only other option for streaming is via DSL as I do not have cable to my home as an option so I have to maintain my landline in order to get high speed internet access.  Minimum cost for that is another $90/mo. 

Bottom line for me is that the cost of ESPN as part of my Dish package is of little concern when I add up all my monthly access costs:

Landline with high speed access:  $90

Cell Service:  $100 for my line and another $179 for the remainder of the house

Dish:  $110

Minimum monthly cost for all services:  $300.  I am not including Amazon streaming costs in here because I cannot replace everything I have with any single streaming service today.

You can easily see why saving a few bucks by unbundling the channel packages is immaterial to me.  Depending on how the separate costs shake out I am not sure buying them ala-carte would actually end up saving me any money at all.

#14 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

Choice is great but how do the "under 30's" (that do not pay $125/mo for TV service) get connected in the first place?  No way I can live with streaming everything to my home via my ATT 4G cell service.  Between the intermittent slow-downs and capping it is not practical.  My only other option for streaming is via DSL as I do not have cable to my home as an option so I have to maintain my landline in order to get high speed internet access.  Minimum cost for that is another $90/mo. 

Bottom line for me is that the cost of ESPN as part of my Dish package is of little concern when I add up all my monthly access costs:

Landline with high speed access:  $90

Cell Service:  $100 for my line and another $179 for the remainder of the house

Dish:  $110

Minimum monthly cost for all services:  $300.  I am not including Amazon streaming costs in here because I cannot replace everything I have with any single streaming service today.

You can easily see why saving a few bucks by unbundling the channel packages is immaterial to me.  Depending on how the separate costs shake out I am not sure buying them ala-carte would actually end up saving me any money at all.

From what I have read and heard, the under 30 crowd watches a ton of youtube for there entertainment. I have no idea how they do it, I would be bored out of my mind if that was my means of entertainment all the time.

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#15 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

Don't assume our internet connections will always be what they are today, hell, for most they aren't what they were 3 years ago.

Technology moves quickly, and the current delivery systems will not be what they are now for very long.  As much as things have changed in the last year, that is nothing compared to what it will be 3 years from now.

Netflix, for example, is on the verge of turning into what HBO was just 10 years ago.

#16 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

Don't assume our internet connections will always be what they are today, hell, for most they aren't what they were 3 years ago.

Technology moves quickly, and the current delivery systems will not be what they are now for very long.  As much as things have changed in the last year, that is nothing compared to what it will be 3 years from now.

Netflix, for example, is on the verge of turning into what HBO was just 10 years ago.

The internet will get faster but Disney will not lose money on anything for long. At Disney World if something dose not make as much money as they need they close it. We pay 5 dollars each for ESPN but not all want it, if only those that want it pay for it then it will have to be much more and Disney dose not care how we watch ESPN as long as they get the money.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#17 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

From what I have read and heard, the under 30 crowd watches a ton of youtube for there entertainment. I have no idea how they do it, I would be bored out of my mind if that was my means of entertainment all the time.

I have also seen some of those statistics and completely agree with you.  Quite possibly it is because they are so engrossed in social media that they have little attention span for entertainment that requires one to dedicate some time to it in order to really enjoy it.  Just as they could care less if their music is compressed they seem to have the same attitude toward video entertainment as well.  Merely background noise while they continuously check their facebook pages and texts.

#18 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

^^^

ESPN, a la carte, would be priced at b/w 25 to 30 dollars.

Very few parties are more concerned about Google approaching the folks at NFL/ST than the people in Burbank.

Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#19 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

That's not how it will wind up in the end, Skipper just doesn't realize it yet. Or doesn't want to.

I would argue that's exactly what he wants.  Just as Chase Carey last week said A La Carte is a fantasy.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#20 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

ESPN, a la carte, would be priced at b/w 25 to 30 dollars.

Where do you get those numbers from?  Also - they are no longer the only 'game' in town.  FOX1, NBC Universal, CBSSports etc.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...