Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OK, So I got Mine, Now ....

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

.... to figure out how to use it and move on.

Not really sure what to ask yet.

Trying some channels like Disney, but the shows seem to be clips only?

What's free and what isn't on channels like Hulu, Netflix and Crackle?

Seems like a lot of inserted ads so far.  Something to get used to I guess.

Also a lot of dead time 'Retrieving".........  Part of 3M DSL probably.

Edited by SayWhat?, 22 August 2013 - 04:25 PM.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

No Mute button on the remote, eh?

Not real comfortable with setting up the account on their site and the credit card bit.

#3 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:25 PM

So, Hulu, Netflix, Pandora, Amazon and Blockbuster all need separate subscriptions, VuDu and Redbox look like pay-as-you-go, Disney seems to be clips only (at least for the TV shows)

SkyNews seems OK for what it is.

Sort of leaves me with Crackle and Popcorn for now until I can figure out if there's anything else that can be added.

My ISP's website TV page has a lot more to offer so far.  A LOT more.

I'm talkin' the free stuff available without a separate fee.

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:05 PM

OK, so you go to the website and select from a ton of other channels.  You choose a few get a message for each one saying it's been added and it shows 'Installed'.

When do they show up on the player?

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,960 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

OK, so you go to the website and select from a ton of other channels.  You choose a few get a message for each one saying it's been added and it shows 'Installed'.

When do they show up on the player?

Right away.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

If you go into the channel application then back out it'll force the updates

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#7 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

They showed up after about an hour or so.

I'm still annoyed that so many of them appear to be trials or crippled/limited in some way.  I selected a few that showed without a charge, but when you get into them, they want some sort of subscription fee.  Most of them are pretty cheap, but I don't want to have to sign up on a dozen different sites.

Pilot TV is one and there were some others focused on classic TV and movies.

#8 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

Don't forget TWiT TV.

#9 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

I installed Disney, but removed it after playing with it and only seeing trailers and Coming Soon attractions.

What Roku model did you get? PBS is only available on the newer models.

#10 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:53 PM

2 HD

Also kinda ticked that there's no LAN port and you have to connect wireless.

#11 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

I have 3 Rokus and a big fan but too many people think they are getting free cable for under a hundred bucks. There is no free lunch! It is more like a simplified way to stream video podcasts to your TV. If you are a cable cutter Netflix or Amazon Prime offer a lot of options for viewing past seasons of TV shows for a reasonable price. Also you might Google for private channels not listed in the Roku Channel store.

#12 OFFLINE   gjrhine

gjrhine

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

I have 3 Rokus and a big fan but too many people think they are getting free cable for under a hundred bucks. 

In a way I am!  Everywhere I have a Roku I am getting most of my Time Warner Cable channels without renting another TWC box.

Gary

#13 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,614 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

And this is the reason why I don't get the roku, as I can do the same on my laptop connected to the TV or smartphone, but I guess it's okay for cord cutters or people that don't have computers or phones, oh yeah I forgot NO YOUTUBE.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#14 ONLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:49 AM

I'm talkin' the free stuff available without a separate fee.

Look into PBS and nowhereTV.  Lots of stuff in those two.  "Call the Midwife" on PBS is worth watching, and I'm sure there's more there.

I agree with others who think Amazon Prime's membership is quite reasonable.  Between the streaming, the free 2-day shipping and a free eBook a month from the Kindle Lending Library, I get quite a lot for my annual fee.

#15 OFFLINE   gjrhine

gjrhine

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

HTPC is so last century.

Gary

#16 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

I paired a Roku 3 (hard-wired - it has both wired and wireless networking but I REALLY like the headset jack on the remote) with PlayOn (www.playon.tv).  We've subscribed to Netflix (streaming only) and Amazon Student Prime for its many benefits, including Amazon Instant Streaming.  We share the Netflix account (6 devices/2 concurrent streams) and Amazon Student Prime account (unlimited devices, 2 concurrent streams) with our daughter who is at college.  I attached the Roku via HDMI to a 47" 1080p Toshiba LCD and have been thrilled with the results.  We watch mostly Hulu (free content) and YouTube (I've spent some time searching for and setting up playlists of desirable programming) via PlayOn plus Netflix and Amazon Instant Streaming.  I do poke around occasionally on the other Roku channels (notably Crackle, Pandora, The Weather Channel, some of the news channels).  I'm looking forward to checking out LiveStream when I get home tonight.

For roughly $200 one time cost plus $7.99/month shared across 6 devices we were easily able to return another DirecTV DVR. We've kept our DirecTV subscription so that we could watch live sports on one TV.  It's admittedly not a great financial deal in total, but we have more of the programming we want (we're tail end of the baby boomer generation) and pay less/month total.  For me/my family it was a good option.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#17 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

Anything of quality for online streaming on just about any platform is going to require a separate subscription.

That said, my favorite roku app is plex.

I have an xbox I could stream on but don't want a gold subscription to do it.  I have two htpc's in my house but getting a nice streaming interface accessable via the couch and a remote just isn't happening.  

The roku has a nice easy to use interface, is silent, uses very little power and I can still stream all my local rips via plex. Pretty damn nice if you ask me!

#18 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

I have two htpc's in my house but getting a nice streaming interface accessable via the couch and a remote just isn't happening.

The Gateway I use for that (and am typing this on) came with a near-full-function remote that even has the green Windows button.  Does most things as far as I can tell. including the DVD functions, channel select for the OTA tuner, mute, volume, etc.C

Coupled with a Logitech Wireless Trackball, I can do nearly everything remote.  All I need is a wireless keyboard.

#19 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

The Gateway I use for that (and am typing this on) came with a near-full-function remote that even has the green Windows button.  Does most things as far as I can tell. including the DVD functions, channel select for the OTA tuner, mute, volume, etc.C

Coupled with a Logitech Wireless Trackball, I can do nearly everything remote.  All I need is a wireless keyboard.

Oh I have remotes, that's not the issue, there's no netflix or amazon or any of the other streaming service plugins for WMC.  Not even for XBMC.  Also needs to be usable by the wife and kids.  The roku does it all with ease. 

The only thing I keep the HTPC around for is to play bluray rips when I care about getting the HD audio.  Aside from that the roku does it all.

#20 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,825 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

Not to mention that the electricty savings of a Roku versus a HTPC will pay for a Roku 3 in about a year.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

Protected By... spam firewall...And...