Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper vs Hopper w. Sling Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:09 AM

I scheduled an upgrade to a Hopper w. Joey in a week or so.  I just received an email telling me that I'll be getting a receiver that the Hopper I am getting is a Hopper w. Sling.  Looking on the Dish upgrade receiver page it looks like there is no cost difference to getting the one w. Sling.  So, since there doesn't seem to be any cost difference I am wondering if there is any harm in getting this receiver w. Sling.  Or should I call and tell them I want the regular Hopper?

Thanks,

Neil

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:30 AM

Definitely get the one with Sling. It's faster and more capable.

• neilo likes this

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#3 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 301 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

I scheduled an upgrade to a Hopper w. Joey in a week or so.  I just received an email telling me that I'll be getting a receiver that the Hopper I am getting is a Hopper w. Sling.  Looking on the Dish upgrade receiver page it looks like there is no cost difference to getting the one w. Sling.  So, since there doesn't seem to be any cost difference I am wondering if there is any harm in getting this receiver w. Sling.  Or should I call and tell them I want the regular Hopper?

Thanks,

Neil

Neilo,

I wanted to check in with you to see how you like the Hopper w/Sling? Have you been able to sling to a smart phone or iPad or Android Tablet yet? If you have any DISH questions please let me know and I am happy to help you!

Thanks

#4 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

Thanks,

Neil

Neilo,

I wanted to check in with you to see how you like the Hopper w/Sling? Have you been able to sling to a smart phone or iPad or Android Tablet yet? If you have any DISH questions please let me know and I am happy to help you!

Thanks

My appointment for getting it installed is not until September 4, so I won't know until after that.

#5 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:48 AM

Just had the installation this morning.  There were a couple shows that I had to sacrifice due to getting rid of the old DVR, but at least one of them is available On Demand, so it looks like I won't be missing out on at least that one. I tried one On Demand title just now and it looked pretty nice.

My wife has a Kindle Fire so we'll have to see whether she can get the Sling part working with that sometime.

#6 OFFLINE   Revrick

Revrick

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

Allstar

Let me know how you get the Dish Anywhere on Kindle Fire

Thanks

Rick

#7 OFFLINE   Ramer84015

Ramer84015

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

Can someone tell me what it costs to upgrade from Hopper to Hopper w/Sling? I read 1 post in the forum that said it was $15 (s&h) and when I called customer service (India) I was told $250. I've PM'd 2 DIRT members over the last couple of days, but haven't gotten a response as yet.

#8 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 402 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

DIRT folks are your best choice to get the correct answer.

• Ramer84015 likes this

#9 OFFLINE   Ramer84015

Ramer84015

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

DIRT folks are your best choice to get the correct answer.

Thanks, I'll continue to wait for a response from DIRT.  :)

#10 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

Allstar

Let me know how you get the Dish Anywhere on Kindle Fire

Thanks

Rick

You need another android device besides the Kindle.  Then sideload the app using the instruction here: http://www.ubergizmo...-fire-sideload/

I did this and the app works fine on the Kindle Fire.

Edited by LtMunst, 13 September 2013 - 01:47 PM.

Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

#11 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

Thanks,

Neil

Neilo,

Thanks

I now have an Android tablet and the new Dish Anywhere App now supports transfers.  I tried to do a transfer today but it took much longer than anticipated and I gave up.  Is it actually going up to the internet and back down or is it going directly through my router?  When I try to stream I get variable results in the house and sometimes it does complain that my connection is too slow.  Should I be looking for a new router or is it just getting bogged down by using Comcast or is something else going on?

#12 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

One nice thing with the Dish Anywhere App is using the watch Live TV to listen to the Sirius channels.  While my connection might not always be good enough for video everywhere in the house, It seems strong enough to listen to Sirius.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...