Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Endless switch of 'Aquiring Signal' and 'Downloading guide' screens on a VIP612 DVR

aquiring signal downloading guide VIP612 VIP DVR

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SpasticTech

SpasticTech

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

This post isnt a question to a technical problem I have, but it is a possible fix to the VIP612 or other VIP receivers supplied by Dish.

I too had the endless loop problem that alternated between 'Aquiring Signal' and 'Downloading Guide', would get 20 second of TV if I was lucky, then the loop would start all over.  After checking connections, using '6-1-1' to check switches, defaulting the settings. . .ect ect. . .I called tech support and the person I talked to had no clue on what was going on.  This techs solution was to send us a replacement unit, which would take 5 days to recieve.

Hmmmmmm.   That really ticked me off.  I'm pretty savy with tech, so I busied myself checking everything over again (my wife wouldn't be able to endure 5 days of her drama TV  . . .   >(8 ] . . .)   Now we have internet connected into our DVR for the 'On-Demand' streaming features, so I started wondering if there was a conflict somewhere.  My wife had told me she had streamed a few movies the previous day and had stopped one in the middle because it was a horrible movie.  That night the guide went to update, and WHAM.  We were stuck in the endless loop.

Here is the fix.  It is as simple as removing the patch cord from the DVR to the modem.  Instantly the guide updated, and the Sat feed came right back.  No problems.  Re-inserted the patch from the modem, and finished updating the movie list.

Before you folks go into soft reboots, hard reboots, switch checking, splitter tightness, grounding. . .blah-de-blah blah. . . and ultimately pulling your hair out because you will be without service for a number of days, give this a try.  Quick, easy, takes 2 minutes.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

Would be interesting if the hint will works for all ViP models and all FW versions.
BTW, you forgot mention your DVR FW version.

#3 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

The 922 had an infinite reboot issue once, a year or so ago, and I remember the fix being to disconnect ethernet.  They fixed it at some point with a firmware update... but now you have me wondering if this could have been related to that problem... and IF so, if they fixed it on the 922 maybe they could fix it on other receivers.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...