Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ESPN pulls out of “Frontline” investigation on NFL concussions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

Variety 

http://variety.com/2...ion-1200586725/

New York Times

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

Washington Post

http://www.washingto...-investigation/

---------------

ESPN has no journalistic integrity, what a bunch of frauds 

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

I might just watch it now.

#3 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

Excerpt from New York Times article:

"Chris LaPlaca, an ESPN spokesman, said Thursday that ESPN’s decision was not based on any concerns about hurting its contractual relationship with the N.F.L. Rather, the network said in a statement, it was ending its official association with “Frontline” because it did not have editorial control of what appeared on the public television public affairs series."

I guess in the long run ESPN means that since it has no editorial control, that something that PBS says MAY hurt there contractual relationship with the NFL.  ESPN seems to be doing a little dance here. 

1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,584 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

There might be more in play here than they are saying... I'm not naive... but to be fair...  people and companies usually do not like to put their names on things that they don't get some measure of say in creating.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:58 AM

Stephan Fatsis gave an interesting review of the decision on NPR's All Things Considered yesterday.  This is a blow to ESPN's credibility as a sports news organization.  Their official reason is a cop-out; the original deal didn't give them editorial control over what was aired on other channels.  And they hadn't even seen the final product, so it isn't as though they saw it and then objected.

#6 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 522 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

I call bs. It's obvious.

Sent from the other side of the Milky Way with my S4.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,584 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

It's hard to call BS on the surface because IF there was a NFL-made-us-do-it scenario I would think ESPN just wouldn't have signed on in the first place.  I mean, ESPN didn't establish this relationship with PBS prior to already having years of history entwined with the NFL.

I'm open to conspiracy theories... but it seems like if the ESPN backing out was due to NFL pressure that it would have prevented them from entering into the thing in the first place.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...