Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Series record fails

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ronandi

ronandi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

HR24-100

I have about 30 titles in my series record list that work perfectly. However I have tried to record first runs of the ABC show "Motive" at least three times with no success. I double click on the show and then go to series options to select first run only. It has failed to record the next episode repeatedly even though the shows are all new. My only assumption is that the guide isn't being populated from whoever that these are new shows. Does anyone else experience this condition or have any tips?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

Motive is a Canadian show that is also broadcast on ABC. The first-run series link doesn't work because the original Canadian air date appears in the guide data. Change your series to "both" from "first run" to solve your problem.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#3 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,760 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

HR24-100

I have about 30 titles in my series record list that work perfectly. However I have tried to record first runs of the ABC show "Motive" at least three times with no success. I double click on the show and then go to series options to select first run only. It has failed to record the next episode repeatedly even though the shows are all new. My only assumption is that the guide isn't being populated from whoever that these are new shows. Does anyone else experience this condition or have any tips?

Its First Run date in the DirecTV is wrong for the US broadcast. The date listed is Canadian, but the HRs don't know that.

There are many shows with this issue. And the number seems to be increasing every year.

The communication method of informing DVRs of when to record needs to be brought into the 21st century technology.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,646 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

The technology isn't horrible, but sometimes the input (tagging with dates, first run, type, cast and misc.) is garbage. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

NBC does it right with Crossing Lines, too bad everyone else can't.

#6 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,121 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

The weird thing is when I first set Motive up, it did work correctly.  Then after the 2nd or 3rd episode, it stopped working until I changed it to "both".

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   booboo

booboo

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

The same problem popped up for me on syfy with primeval new world and continuum. Being Canadian shows it seems they don't work with the first run option on our DVR. I have a Genie with 2 clients.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
B00BOO

#8 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

I had the exact same problem with this show on verizon fios using tivo ,so i guess its not just a verizon fios problem,anyway i  called tivo and they said theu would contact tribune guide service to fix the problem,hopefully this will help them correct the problem for all the carriers .You guys already have a fix though by setting your dvr to record both new and repeats !!

#9 OFFLINE   ronandi

ronandi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

Thanks everyone. I had no idea this was even a Canadian show and how the guide data differed. Easy enough to record old and new on this one.

#10 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

why can't they just get the correct date for the US showing? today i setup a series pass for The White Queen and i had to use both because its British television

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,646 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

They can, but don't. Write Tribune Media Services. It's not DIRECTV's doing. 

#12 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

They can, but don't. Write Tribune Media Services. It's not DIRECTV's doing. 

never blame DirecTV, I know it tribute job!

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,646 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

Huh?

#14 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

This is a situation I see on Continuum also. It also explains why there is difficulty with The This Old House Hour in my market, which does not take the original Thursday night feed, but delays it until the following Saturday.

Drucifer is exactly right. +1.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

spam firewall