Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How do I get into the chat room--Java issues

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,278 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

Every time I try to enter the chat room, I get the gray screen telling me that my plug-ins are vulnerable. It tells me to update my plug-ins, which was done. If I click on "activate plug-ins," I'm immediately taken to the Java download page where the update download link is located. However, I already have that version installed. I'm going in circles here!

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:13 AM

Hi...Sorry to say that it would not be an issue with our site, but seems to be a instal issue on your browser.  If you have another browser, just for kicks, try that one.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#3 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

I've tried Firefox, Chrome, & IE. The problem exists on all 3, unfortunately. I've tried every "recommended" fix I could find, but no luck.

Sent from my EVO LTE using DBSTalk mobile app

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

Although I don't use the Chat room often, I also can't get into it right now.

I've tried the same three browsers LV did. All said I need Java.

I went to install Java (watch out you don't also install Ask.com unless you want too), and got a pop-up that said I already have Java installed.  Installed anyway.  Restarted computer. 

Still the same problems. 

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

You have the worst computer luck. ;)

Loaded fine just now.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,128 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

I unfortunately have to support Java at work and about 1 out of 20 I will have to completely uninstall Java and then reinstall to get it to work.

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Although I don't use the Chat room often, I also can't get into it right now.

I've tried the same three browsers LV did. All said I need Java.

I went to install Java (watch out you don't also install Ask.com unless you want too), and got a pop-up that said I already have Java installed. Installed anyway. Restarted computer.

Still the same problems.

Ditto

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,371 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

Oddly enough, Safari lets me into Chat, but Chrome doesn't, and it's been that way for six months or so.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,620 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

Are any of you (the ones having problems) running any kind of script blockers?  Also do you have Java enabled in your browsers?

I can't speak to the PC side... but on the Mac the more recent Java will become disabled if you haven't used it in a while and then you have to go enable it again.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#10 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

To answer your questions, no & yes. Sent from my EVO LTE using DBSTalk mobile app

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,620 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

I was just in chat... it asked me if I wanted to run the "AddonChat" Java app...  I've been in chat before today, though it would have been with earlier Firefox than I'm on now...  I haven't been in the chat room for a while... but clicking "Yes" to allow that AddonChat app to run allowed me in the chat just fine... though I was talking to myself in there.

I wonder if that is related to your problem...  if you're not getting the prompt to ask you to allow that particular Java app.

#12 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

I'm getting a prompt, and I'm clicking on the update and activate links, but that did nothing.

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,620 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

I'm running Firefox 24 (still in beta I believe) so I can't be sure my results reflect yours.  Also I'm on an iMac under OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.4...  What version of Firefox are you running?

I do know that my Firefox is behaving differently now than it used to... seems like some more enhanced security stuff...  I have had a few sites load slower than usual, but nothing has stopped working for me.

#14 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:38 AM

I'm running version 24 as well.

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,620 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

What version of Java are you running? I believe I am on the latest Java 7 update 25.

#16 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

I am as well.

#17 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,620 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

I am literally out of ideas.  Chat works for me... and it sounds like you don't have a different configuration than I do.

#18 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

Attached File  DBSTalk Chat Room Addon.JPG   33.52KB   5 downloads

I still can't get my desktop to allow me to get into the Chat room.  So I fired up my work laptop (PC using IE). 

Got the attached pop-up (which I haven't on my desktop PC). Ran the add-on and now Chat works.

• Lord Vader likes this

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,620 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:33 AM

trh, that is exactly what happened to me...  I think for some reason this is not happening for Vader and obviously you when you were on your desktop.

I noticed that Firefox 24 beta has removed the preferences settings for Java (at least on the Mac version) so it looks like you have to enable Java through the control panel applet.  I'm wondering if that is where the problem is for you.  I am beginning to think it isn't a browser issue but rather a Java configuration issue.

• trh likes this

#20 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:30 AM

Tonight I'll try to manually install the AddOnChat on my PC. Not sure why I got that pop up on my laptop but not my PC. Same version of IE on both.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...