Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie Question.....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

I would like to know if the Genie uses a 6th or 7th hidden tuner to record Directv Cinema and Genie Recommends content,or does she just uses one of our 5 tuners that are not in use?

Also the Genie gives us 1tb for our recordings,so how big of a hard drive does Directv have in hidding to use for their content?

I was just curious as I plan to record about 3 things at a time when the fall season starts and the other two tuners will be in use for live tv and I just wondered how Genie is going to recommend Prime Time shows if all tuners are being used up....Thanks.

Mas Ultra Package + NFL ST MAX (Go Bills) MLB Xtra innings (Go Yankees)
1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,913 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

Your recording and viewing should have priority over any background recording that is done. When you are not using all tuners, the Genie will use them if/as needed.

#3 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,997 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

If you're talking about DIRECTV Cinema recordings that are pushed to your Genie then yes that does use a tuner, and Genie recommends recordings also will use a tuner, but as mention if there is anything that you've scheduled to record or watching live TV those requests override those recordings. Aka, those recordings only happen when the tuner(s) are idle.

If you were talkinga about DIRECTV Cinema recordings that you request, and you have an internet connection to Genie, then those are download via the internet and do not take up a tuner.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#4 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,039 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

In order of your questions;

1) It uses one or more of the Genie's five tuners when available. VOD over the internet do not require a tuner of course.

2) Around 100 GB is reserved for DIRECTV's exclusive use, therefore actually giving you (1 TB/1.1 x 1024) -100 GB = approx. 830 GB of user recording space.

3) What Carl and Rad said already earlier.  

Edited by HoTat2, 24 August 2013 - 08:31 AM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,906 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

I would like to know if the Genie uses a 6th or 7th hidden tuner to record Directv Cinema and Genie Recommends content,or does she just uses one of our 5 tuners that are not in use?

Also the Genie gives us 1tb for our recordings,so how big of a hard drive does Directv have in hidding to use for their content?

I was just curious as I plan to record about 3 things at a time when the fall season starts and the other two tuners will be in use for live tv and I just wondered how Genie is going to recommend Prime Time shows if all tuners are being used up....Thanks.

It's five an no more. Whatever the Genie does, it is done with just those five.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:00 PM

It's five an no more. Whatever the Genie does, it is done with just those five.

Actually to be technical the genie has six tuners. One however is dedicated to only guide data and does nothing but pull guide data.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#7 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,718 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

2) Around 100 GB is reserved for DIRECTV's exclusive use, therefore actually giving you (1 TB/1.1 x 1024) -100 GB = approx. 830 GB of user recording space.

About 11 months ago there were a number of laments about an increase in the size of the set-aside after one of the Genie firmware updates.

http://www.dbstalk.c...-anything-help/

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,211 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

Actually, that kerfluffle was about a fellow who thought a software update bumped him from 2% free to 0% free and was upset because he couldn't record new stuff. First it was never proven that a bunch of recordings had taken place overnight to fill up his pathetically small free space, and second, it was one lament that went on, and on, and on, and.....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...