Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help Please With SWM8 Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jrd4849

jrd4849

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

Here's my setup. I have an old AT9 side car dish which has been working fine for 6 1/2 years. Connected receivers are an HR23 and two H21s. A short time ago I added a swm8, deca modules to all receivers, and a hard wired CCK for internet. This was to update the system for deca based whole home service. The PI is cabled directly to the swm8 and the receivers and cck are cabled off of the PI via an 8 way splitter. All unused ports are terminated. Everything worked ok for a few days and then I got a 771 message for a couple of the hd channels. I unplugged the PI for a couple of minutes and after that the channels came up. The next day the same problem occurred. This time no amount of unplugging and restarting cleared the problem. The system test for the dvr shows errors found on both tuners for the odd (13v) transponders for the 103 bird. The same error shows up on both the H21s. A quick look at the dish showed no obvious external problems. Does anyone know of a simple test procedure that I can use to determine whether the problem is with the swm8 or the lnb? Thanks for any help.

Jim

HR23-700
2 H21-100

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

One suggestion for your setup is to reduce that 8-way splitter down to a 4-way splitter to reduce any chances of lost voltage.

To the issue:

Is that current 8-way splitter a DirecTV approved splitter? 

I've experienced somewhat of this issue before, and the simple solution for me was to replace the PI. You might be able to find one from a local DirecTV reseller for about 20 bucks, so you don't have to wait for shipping or a tech. 

Double check all of your cabling connections for tightness

Let us know :)

BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#3 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

If you want to rule out the SWM8 as a problem, disconnect the SWM8 and reconnect the DVR directly to your dish. If it works then, but not with the SWM8, then the problem may be with the SWM8 (but isn't certain)

If you still have the same problem when directly connected, then your LNB is definitely failing, possibly trigged by the SWM8 providing it more voltage than it was receiving from the receivers previously and providing just the little push that 6 1/2 year old device needed to start having problems.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#4 OFFLINE   jrd4849

jrd4849

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

One suggestion for your setup is to reduce that 8-way splitter down to a 4-way splitter to reduce any chances of lost voltage.

To the issue:

Is that current 8-way splitter a DirecTV approved splitter? 

I've experienced somewhat of this issue before, and the simple solution for me was to replace the PI. You might be able to find one from a local DirecTV reseller for about 20 bucks, so you don't have to wait for shipping or a tech. 

Double check all of your cabling connections for tightness

Let us know :)

Thanks for the reply. The splitter is a standard Directv 8-way green label. To eliminate any splitter related problems I connected the dvr directly to the PI output bypassing the splitter. Still get the 771 message related to the 103 sat. Checked the PI output to the swm8 and it was right at 28v. Eliminated some possibilities but still looks like swm8 or lnb trouble.

Jim

HR23-700
2 H21-100

#5 OFFLINE   jrd4849

jrd4849

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

If you want to rule out the SWM8 as a problem, disconnect the SWM8 and reconnect the DVR directly to your dish. If it works then, but not with the SWM8, then the problem may be with the SWM8 (but isn't certain)

If you still have the same problem when directly connected, then your LNB is definitely failing, possibly trigged by the SWM8 providing it more voltage than it was receiving from the receivers previously and providing just the little push that 6 1/2 year old device needed to start having problems.

After doing some more testing I'm inclined to agree with your second statement. Unfortunately not easy to check or replace as at9 lnbs are rare these days. I do have a spare SL3 non-swm dish which I could use to replace the AT9 dish but it wouldn't be my first choice to do at this stage of the game. Good last resort though.

Jim

HR23-700
2 H21-100

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

One thing to try is to swap the coax inputs to the SWM8.

If the odd 103 changes, it more than likely is the coax, if it doesn't then looks like the LNB,

A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,256 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

And if its the lnb I'd swap the entire assembly for a swim5lnb and get rid if the sidecar.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#8 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,269 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

One thing to try is to swap the coax inputs to the SWM8.

If the odd 103 changes, it more than likely is the coax, if it doesn't then looks like the LNB,

Yep;

That would be my first choice;

Particularly (if not obviously) check for a bad 13v/22 KHz coax line or connector to the SWiM-8 switch as the culprit.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#9 OFFLINE   jrd4849

jrd4849

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

Well taking VOS's suggestion I swapped coax 1 and 2 and swapped coax 3 and 4. Currently I have no problems. Just a fluke or a bad connector/connection at the swm8? I guess at this point time will tell.

Jim

HR23-700
2 H21-100

#10 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

Always good advice to check the connections. Glad it's working for you.

BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

Protected By... spam firewall...And...