Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Broken TV , Protection plan questions?? Anyone use this before?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   leastbay

leastbay

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

Just filed a claim because my Samsung plasma is getting thin vertical lines on the screen. A technician is supposed to call me soon. Directv told me there is a possibility they would have to take the TV but there is no time table for how long they could keep it for. Anyone have experience in this situation? I would hate to be without my TV for a few weeks or so while they fix it.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

Egad!

You may have to drag the old RCA XL100 up from the basement!

The HORROR!  The HORROR!

(I can joke about this, a few years back our HItachi 50" LCD RPTV was in the shop for a month and I connected a 19" CRT to get by.  It was REALLY horrible)

#3 OFFLINE   leastbay

leastbay

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

If football season wasnt starting I could care less  

#4 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,199 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

I called a protection plan repair on a macbook Air earlier this year and it took almost a month before they got back to me and agreed to replace it and another month before I finally got it.  

My experience though with a 65 inch HDTV (warranty through Sony) is that a repair person will come out to your home and determine the problem and give the warranty company a price and they will either decide to fix it on site once the parts arrive or replace it.  

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#5 OFFLINE   leastbay

leastbay

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

How do they replace it? Do they mail you a TV or will I have to setup another appointment for the repair guy to bring one? For some reason the repair place they referred me to is 70 miles away

#6 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,199 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

How do they replace it? Do they mail you a TV or will I have to setup another appointment for the repair guy to bring one? For some reason the repair place they referred me to is 70 miles away

In the case of my TV,  The warranty company contacted me and offered me a couple of choices in models and about a week later, I received a call from the supplier informing me the TV was being shipped by truck (at the time we were living in Minnesota yet the TV came from Oregon) and when I should expect to see it. 

I do know someone else who had their TV replaced under a similar plan and were offered a check for the "price paid" and told to get something new locally.  This is a nice option if you happen to keep paperwork and can actually prove what you paid for the unit..

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#7 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 817 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:30 PM

When mine was replaced (it was a 32") I was given a choice of a single model or the option to take the check. I took the check, and purchased a 39" one so they'll be forced to do in home service on it.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#8 OFFLINE   leastbay

leastbay

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

did they give you enough for the 39"?  I know TV prices drop   just trying to figure out how they will value it. They are replacing it   Im waiting on an email with an option   they said 2-3 days

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

did they give you enough for the 39"?  I know TV prices drop   just trying to figure out how they will value it. They are replacing it   Im waiting on an email with an option   they said 2-3 days

Keep us updated.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#10 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 817 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

I think they gave me $204 for the 32" and I had to pay the difference for the 39"

I got the 39" stupidly cheap, though (like $280) because it was an open box item from Best Buy that was also on sale that week. I haven't seen it for anything less than $400 since then.

I'm quite happy!

Edited by JBv, 29 August 2013 - 04:30 PM.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#11 OFFLINE   leastbay

leastbay

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

still havent heard anything back about the value of my tv   they said 2-3 days im pretty sure

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

Just filed a claim because my Samsung plasma is getting thin vertical lines on the screen. A technician is supposed to call me soon. Directv told me there is a possibility they would have to take the TV but there is no time table for how long they could keep it for. Anyone have experience in this situation? I would hate to be without my TV for a few weeks or so while they fix it.

Thanks

How old is your Sammy?

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   leastbay

leastbay

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

2 years, and I dont even use it every day. Im thinking of getting a 240hz Vizio LED. Doubt the picture will be as good. 

Edited by leastbay, 01 September 2013 - 10:17 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:47 AM

2 years, and I dont even use it every day. Im thinking of getting a 240hz Vizio LED. Doubt the picture will be as good. 

If you bought it with a major credit card, it might still be under warranty.  I know Amex extends the warranty on a TV by a year.  If you've had it for more than 2 years it won't work.  Any chance you're slightly less than 2 years into the ownership of that Sammy? You will see a difference in the PQ between the plasma and the Vizio LCD.

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   leastbay

leastbay

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

yeah, youre right. its just over 2 years. Ill have to see what they give me for it first I guess and then decide on something new.

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

yeah, youre right. its just over 2 years. Ill have to see what they give me for it first I guess and then decide on something new.

Ahh, that's too bad.  I think a lot of folks ignore the extended manufacturer's warranties provided by the credit card companies.  Oh well...

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   leastbay

leastbay

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

The warranty company emailed me today with 2 choices. I was pretty surprised that both TVs cost more than my 50" plasma did 2 years ago. Im thinking of going with the samsung.

• 55" Samsung LED / Model #UN55F6350A 
  • 55" LG LED / Model #55GA6450

Protected By... spam firewall...And...