Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Genie 44 with HR21 setup question

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dcaudle68

dcaudle68

• Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

Got a genie upgrade today and kept the old HD DVR HR21 as I have recordings on it. Moved it to a secondary TV and installed the main genie and 2 clients on the other 3 TV's. the 3 Genie's work great and see each other but the HR21 only sees itself. I already had whole home DVR setup and activated many months ago and it always worked perfectly between the previous 4 receivers including the HR21. If I go into the settings of the receivers it says whole home DVD not activated. The DIRECTV tech I talked to told me that didn't matter with the Genie but I am wondering if that might be what is causing the issue with the genie not being able to see the HR21 recordings? I talked to another DIRECTV tech and he had to put in a request with engineering to get the whole home DVR turned back on since it was turned off when the genie setup was done. Why could they not just activate it? Anybody had this issue or have any idea what I have going on? Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,726 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:07 PM

They should activate that before hanging up the phone with you.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

Does the HR21 has a DECA attached to it?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   dcaudle68

dcaudle68

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

Okay this was weird, was on the phone with a DIRECTV tech for over an hour last night and I could tell he really knew his stuff.  The problem is my account does not recognize the Genie 44 as a HD DVR.  If I log in and look at my equipment the HR21 is there and listed as a HD DVR.  But the Genie 44 simply says "unknown device".  Because those are technically the only 2 boxes I have on the account (The 2 clients don't have access cards) the DIRECTV system thinks I only have 1 HD DVR on my setup and therefore not eligible for whole home DVR service.  What we had to do was setup up a phantom DVR on the account to trick my account into thinking it has 2 DVR's and then it would allow the Whole home DVR service to be turned on.  The drawback is I will get charged $6 a month for this "dummy" box but he did give me 2 months credit so that hopefully they will figure out a fix for this by then.  Does anybody else have the 44 genie?  if so would you log into your account online and tell me if it called "Unknown equipment" or actually says HD DVR?  Thanks!

#5 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,024 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

I have no problems with whole home but I checked and it says Genie HD DVR  Model HR44-500 

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   dcaudle68

dcaudle68

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:34 AM

I have no problems with whole home but I checked and it says Genie HD DVR  Model HR44-500 

Thanks do you have  an old HR2X DVR along with it?

#7 OFFLINE   dcaudle68

dcaudle68

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

My Receiver

Edited by dcaudle68, 25 August 2013 - 08:38 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,024 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:00 AM

Thanks do you have  an old HR2X DVR along with it?

Yes I do, an HR24-200.  There were a couple diffrences however. First, I dont have any clients.  Second, I dont deal with installers and got the HR44 from Solid Signal. When I activated it they did not turn on Whole Home but when I called back there was no problem turning it on, the CSR I talked to was surprised I could not do it myself from the online portal.

My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,120 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

I have clients, 2 Genies and an HR23.  I don't have any problem with my Genies being recognized in the DTV system.  And I did NOT have whole home before getting my 1st Genie.  I think you need to call back and get this figured out.  If you don't, at some point you are either going to forget to call back and continue to get your credits for a phantom receiver, or some CSR is not going to give you the requested credit because they won't understand why the heck you have a phantom DVR on your account.

Maybe they need to refresh your account?  Or unplug the Genie for a while and then plug back in?  Or send you a new access card?  I don't really know, but your scenario is now rife for errors, confusion and frustration.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#10 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,726 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

Yeah this is weird. I'd suggest calling and getting a hold if the access card department and they can maybe get it figured out. They work miracles there.

There is zero problem running old units and a genie and a mini at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#11 OFFLINE   flexpackman

flexpackman

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

I just had an upgrade this morning to a Genie HR44-700.

Had 2 HR20-100's with DECA, an HR21-100 with DECA, and a HR24-500, all working on Whole Home before upgrade. Replaced one of the HR20's with the HR44. System came up and everyone seen everyone else. Recorded some content on the HR44 and played back on the other DVR's and could play content from those on the HR44.

I asked the installer about any issues mentioned here with the HR44. He said he had no issues himself as well had not heard of this from anyone. Said he had done somewhere around 40-50 HR44 installs with existing DVR's and all others as new with and without clients. Triad area in NC.

My Setup

#12 OFFLINE   dcaudle68

dcaudle68

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

I just had an upgrade this morning to a Genie HR44-700.

Had 2 HR20-100's with DECA, an HR21-100 with DECA, and a HR24-500, all working on Whole Home before upgrade. Replaced one of the HR20's with the HR44. System came up and everyone seen everyone else. Recorded some content on the HR44 and played back on the other DVR's and could play content from those on the HR44.

I asked the installer about any issues mentioned here with the HR44. He said he had no issues himself as well had not heard of this from anyone. Said he had done somewhere around 40-50 HR44 installs with existing DVR's and all others as new with and without clients. Triad area in NC.

Yours worked fine because you had 2 recognized HD DVR even after your upgrade so the DIRECTV system did not try to turn off whole home DVR service.  Since it does not recognize my Genie 44 it thinks I only have 1 HD DVR and therefore not eligible for the whole home DVR service.  That is why they had to add the phantom DVR to my setup. Why my Genie says unknown device in my equipment lineup when everybody else's apparently says HD DVR is the unknown question.

#13 OFFLINE   dismayed

dismayed

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

OP here. Just wanted to thank everyone for the help. System is up and running including whole home!

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

OP here. Just wanted to thank everyone for the help. System is up and running including whole home!

Awesome. Thanks for the update.

PS , dont say OP here, you will get scream at.... it is TS !rolling

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   ccmarshall

ccmarshall

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

anyone know how this whole home started working again? I am having the same issue with unknown receiver when the genie added and the whole home deactivated from my account and directv can't figure it out....

• Unknown ID: 123
  • Model: HR44-200
    Access Card: 123
    Serial #: 123
  • HD-DVR ID: 123
  • Model: HR24-100
    Access Card: 123
    Serial #: 123

#16 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

They need to get the type for your HR44 to be listed correctly and not as "Unknown". Once that is fixed Whole Home will work as well. Just keeping working with DirecTV and you should be connected to Case Management who should be able to help you get this resolved.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#17 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,556 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

Awesome. Thanks for the update.

PS , dont say OP here, you will get scream at.... it is TS !rolling

OP is preferred over TS, which stood for tough sh**.

Interestingly, the fellow was neither in this thread!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#18 OFFLINE   ccmarshall

ccmarshall

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

The account person at directv doesn't even see the unknown as I was explaining it. 

Finally after an hour of her trying different stuff and she wanted to send a technician out. I turned that down saying that we have both already agreed that it is not an issue on my end but on your end. She sent it off to engineering and said to wait a couple of days and see if it fixed itself or call back in.....

I am not very hopeful at this point.... 

#19 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,120 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

Definitely try getting ahold of the access card department directly. 

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

spam firewall