Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV-15 speculation on position

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGilbert, AZ

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:15 PM

With DirecTV-14 confirmed to be going into the 99° orbital slot, now is the time to speculate on what orbital slot DirecTV-15 will go into. DirecTV-15 is currently scheduled to be launched in late 2014, and will be DirecTV's first satellite of the Astrium Eurostar E3000 model.

I remember hearing that it would be at 101° as a replacement for an existing satellite, however, I don't know if that is the case or not. DirecTV currently has the 9S satellite as a spare for 4S, and I would think once 4S reaches the end of its useful lifespan, 9S will replace it.

Perhaps it could be a replacement for DirecTV-5 and would be positioned at 110° for Puerto Rico. What does anyone here think?

Edited by Pink Jazz, 24 August 2013 - 10:15 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:35 PM

With DirecTV-14 confirmed to be going into the 99° orbital slot, now is the time to speculate on what orbital slot DirecTV-15 will go into. DirecTV-15 is currently scheduled to be launched in late 2014, and will be DirecTV's first satellite of the Astrium Eurostar E3000 model.

I remember hearing that it would be at 101° as a replacement for an existing satellite, however, I don't know if that is the case or not. DirecTV currently has the 9S satellite as a spare for 4S, and I would think once 4S reaches the end of its useful lifespan, 9S will replace it.

Perhaps it could be a replacement for DirecTV-5 and would be positioned at 110° for Puerto Rico. What does anyone here think?

103° RDBS?

Edited by JBv, 24 August 2013 - 10:36 PM.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:22 AM

Well for one I need to double check but I thought d-14 and d15 where the same systems.

It's not going to 110. That sat was cancels and would have been d13.

And they have more than one sat operating at 101 right now. I suspect 103 will be its home but we shall see.

Unless this is the bird that's destined for Latin America service and if so I don't recall where it's headed.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,039 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:58 AM

To me, not enough is really known about the details of D15 at the moment. I check the FCC filings regularly for the formal LOA application from DIRECTV (even though Sixto will usually beat me to it and post the link here :) ), but so far nothing.

From what I can tell at this point though, which admittedly isn't much, is that it will have the capability to serve in any of the 5 orbital slots from 99-119w.

Will have a full transponder package listed as;  

18 Ka transponders (but don't know if all are on Ka hi, lo, or both bands like D12. nor the mix between CONUS and spotbeam ones.

30 Ku transponders (why not the full 32, I don't know).

18 RDBS band ones. (For RB-2 at 103w?).

Again, just not enough info. released about this bird yet. 

Edited by HoTat2, 25 August 2013 - 05:04 AM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:09 AM

... Unless this is the bird that's destined for Latin America service and if so I don't recall where it's headed.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Nah, D15 won't be there.

The new satellites headed for DLA service at 95w are Intelsats 30 and 31. 

#6 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:22 AM

... I remember hearing that it would be at 101° as a replacement for an existing satellite, however, I don't know if that is the case or not. DirecTV currently has the 9S satellite as a spare for 4S, and I would think once 4S reaches the end of its useful lifespan, 9S will replace it.

NOTE: D9S has already replaced D4S to a large extent already, with D4S only sharing spotbeam duty with D9S,

The lion's share of the work done at 101 is from D9S and D8.

#7 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

With ka transponders, it can't practically go to 110 or 119. That would necessitate new lnbs for everyone.

#8 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

With ka transponders, it can't practically go to 110 or 119. That would necessitate new lnbs for everyone.

Unless D15 will be designed so the different satellite band payloads can essentially be turned on or off.

So if positioned at say 101, 110 or 119, only transponders from the Ku payload are used, and if at 99 or 103, only transponders of the Ka and/or RDBS band payloads are used.  

#9 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,739 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:27 AM

Wasn't D10 having some issues in the past, which they stabilized, so I wonder if it'll end up being a replacement for it?

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

Wasn't D10 having some issues in the past, which they stabilized, so I wonder if it'll end up being a replacement for it?

Could be an eventual replacement for D10;

Its Ka band payload would have to be on B-band then.

D10 had a problem with some of its spotbeams ever since launch. There was some kind of "amelioration" procedure done awhile back to try and correct it. The results of the procedure were never publicized to my knowledge.

Of more immediate concern though is that D10's primary propulsion system failed sometime last year I think, and is on its backup.

This is why DIRECTV is giving both D14's and D15's development and deployment extra urgency I understand.     

Protected By... spam firewall...And...