Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Finally cut the cable

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bytored

bytored

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

Hello.  Long time since I've been here...  I finally did it, cut the cable/ Satellite.

Now I am going to do some research on OTA for Local news and such that I cant get through Amazon prime, HULU, and netflix, Crackle. ect. 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Good luck and let us know how it work out.

#3 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

So You cut the pay TV cable. You still have some form of Internet. Cable, DSL, Wireless, Fiber?

To me the proper title would be I cut a cable or I cut the pay TV cable. OTA runs through a cable too.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#4 OFFLINE   bytored

bytored

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

So You cut the pay TV cable. You still have some form of Internet. Cable, DSL, Wireless, Fiber?

To me the proper title would be I cut a cable or I cut the pay TV cable. OTA runs through a cable too.

LOL. Figure of speech. :goodjob:

Ok. Since you have seen the fly poop in the pepper I will clarify, and I suppose most everything runs through a cable. :righton: at some point.

I cut DTV.  Yes I do still have internet, Charter.   I use a PS3 to stream, HULU, AMAZON and NETFLIX and have also since bought an indoor antenna for the local channels.  I am in the process of setting up my old TIVO Series 2(Lifetime service) to DVR the OTA locals.  And yes, it all runs through cable. :bang

Edited by bytored, 25 August 2013 - 10:34 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

LOL. Figure of speech. :goodjob:

Ok. Since you have seen the fly poop in the pepper I will clarify, and I suppose most everything runs through a cable. :righton: at some point.

I cut DTV.  Yes I do still have internet, Charter.   I use a PS3 to stream, HULU, AMAZON and NETFLIX and have also since bought an indoor antenna for the local channels.  I am in the process of setting up my old TIVO Series 2(Lifetime service) to DVR the OTA locals.  And yes, it all runs through cable. :bang

Are you sure it is a series 2?  ATSC tuners didn't start until series 3.

#6 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

Series 2 TiVo can record component output from digital tuner in SD, but it has a NTSC analog tuner - actually 2 of them, no ATSC.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#7 OFFLINE   bytored

bytored

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:09 AM

Are you sure it is a series 2?  ATSC tuners didn't start until series 3.

Yes its a series 2 single tuner( 540xxxxxx). Anyhow I bought an old apex dt250 converter and got everything all hooked up and the tivo was "still searching for antenna signal",  called tivo tech support a few times and they determined something was wrong  with the TIvo unit as I had everything set up correctly.  I ended up buying a series 3 Tivo HD unit with a lifetime sub which should be here today.   

I have to tell you I am not missing Directv one bit.  But the biggest surprise is my wife is not missing it either and that is whats important, "happy wife happy life" they say. LOL.  The $$$ saving per month from dropping Directv will pay for  what I spent on this  adventure in 3 months.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...