Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Replace Mixed System with Genie

Genie installation wiring

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BAF

BAF

• Registered
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSouth Pasadena, California

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

I have a single HR22 with 4 additional televisions using only OTA service, and would appreciate advice on how to best provide Directv service to all televisions using Genie/minis and possibly the HR22. Knowing what to request from Directv would be helpful.

My house is a 1910 2 story Craftsman with many wiring challenges. I have been a Directv customer since before forever. The current Directv wiring is as follows: the antenna is mounted to the roof covering a garden window; it is labeled as being “Slimline” and has what appears to be a single small LNB with 4 coax cables leading to the basement where there is no switch, splitter or SWM.  2 of the 4 cables go from the basement through a crawlspace to the family room (the main viewing area) and connect to an HR22. Hard wired Ethernet and an OTA coax connection are adjacent to the HR22.  Wireless internet access is available.

The other 2 cables from the dish ascend from the basement to the second story through a central wall and terminate on the wall of bedroom number 1; they were at one point used for a legacy Tivo which has been disconnected. The bedroom wall is accessible via an attic space which also contains an OTA coax cable ascending from the basement and which is split to bedroom 1, the master bedroom and the master bath which are the locations of televisions in question. For reasons I no longer remember, the OTA antenna coax from the first floor kitchen television ascends separately to the attic where it also connects to the splitter servicing the rest of the upstairs; this could be routed to the basement with a modicum of effort.

I would like to have Directv access from all of my televisions with a single recorder accessible by all. No more than 3 or 4 televisions are likely to be active at any given time. 4 or 5 simultaneous recordings are more than adequate. The only easy location for the HR22 would be in the master bedroom where running a second coax would be a royal pain.

Many thanks for whatever advice you can offer.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,655 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

Since you already have cabling in all the rooms, I would get a Genie, 2 clients and keep the HR22.  that 4 rooms total and up to 7 records at the same time and the both DVR playlist can be watch anywhere

• BAF likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,112 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

He's got five tvs though. Either a third client or an h25. If he's trying to keep over the air as well everywhere he may need to opt for a wireless client in one or two locations. To the op does everyone record all they watch generally speaking? Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app
  • BAF likes this

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,895 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:05 PM

By adding a Genie your system will be converted to SWM (single wire multiswitch), which means a single coax cable can feed a receiver, DVR, or Genie (you don't need a second coax for dual, or 5, tuner operation).

I would keep the HR22 active and add the Genie plus up to 3 clients to server all the rooms you want.

If you still want OTA, that might be a problem.The single coax cannot handle both the DirecTV and ota signals. But if you have DirecTV you should get all of your locals via satellite, so that shouldn't be a concern.

• BAF likes this

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,020 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:34 AM

By adding a Genie your system will be converted to SWM (single wire multiswitch), which means a single coax cable can feed a receiver, DVR, or Genie (you don't need a second coax for dual, or 5, tuner operation).

I would keep the HR22 active and add the Genie plus up to 3 clients to server all the rooms you want.

If you still want OTA, that might be a problem.The single coax cannot handle both the DirecTV and ota signals. But if you have DirecTV you should get all of your locals via satellite, so that shouldn't be a concern.

Or the TS can get two AM21(N) OTA tuner modules with this setup for the Genie and HR22. The mini clients can access the AM21's off-air UI on the Genie of course. 

• BAF likes this

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#6 OFFLINE   BAF

BAF

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSouth Pasadena, California

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:13 PM

Many thanks for everyone's help!  :up:

--BAF

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Genie, installation, wiring