Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Newsroom

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

I don't see a thread here on this show, so I have no idea if anyone here is watching it. It is one of 2 or 3 shows that are "appointment television" for me.

Writer/creator Aaron Sorkin gets a lot of flack in the reviews,and is rightfully accused of using a lot of tropes. The show is also interpreted by those leaning right as leaning left, maybe not as rightfully. And I can't disagree that yes, no one talks like this in real life, and yes, the love triangles are pretty ridiculous and boring.

But if you get past all of that, most of which is still pretty clever and entertaining, to the meat of the story, I honestly can't find anything better than this show. Last night's "Red Team III" episode completely knocked it out of the park. I don't want to sound too hyperbolic, but honestly I have not experienced television written this well since, well since Aaron Sorking stopped writing scripts for The West Wing a decade ago. And that includes every single episode of five seasons of The Good Wife, which I still say is the best-written series we have ever been blessed with.

If you have seen The Social Network, or Sports Night (reruns of which are about to begin), or even the ill-fated Studio 60,  you probably have an idea how good this guy is. He may have some idiosyncracies that disturb others (and most who complain about him are writers that are jealous that they don't have anywhere near that amount of talent), but this guy can write circles around anybody. the guy is a national treasure.

Edited by TomCat, 28 August 2013 - 07:43 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,198 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:11 AM

I got introduced to his "style" on "Sports Night".

Yeah, the characters talk in a way we WISHED we did (no "uh" or "ummm" or anything like that) but episodes like last night are the reason I'm glued to the set.  I did NOT see the "twist" coming, and I usually know at least that there's a setup coming even if I don't call the twist correctly.

#3 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:34 AM

I couldn't agree more, TomCat. Sorkin is a national treasure. Btw, A Few Good Men is totally worth re-watching. I may do that next weekend when I think Newsroom takes a week off for the holiday.

#4 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

I really like the Blackout II episode from last season which IMHO showed how a presidential debate should really be run.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#5 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

I love everything Sloan says. She is quite possibly my favorite character.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#6 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

I've watched it during free HBO previews and would watch it year-round if I could.  Typical, brilliant Sorkin. :D

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,681 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

Having dabbled in TV news, I find the show fascinating. The bouncing around in the timeline can be a little disorienting but I think that adds to the charm.

It is also interesting to see a revisit of some of the news stories of recent history.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

I haven't been keeping up with the show as much when it debut, but the news is not the center point of the story, because we already know what happens and the outcome.  We see the characters and their rapid fire dialogue.  It's a good summer show.  A lot of drama at times, but it is still good.  I'm like 4 back.  I need to catch up soon.   

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,729 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

Yeah, the characters talk in a way we WISHED we did (no "uh" or "ummm" or anything like that) but episodes like last night are the reason I'm glued to the set.

The benefit of being a scripted show instead of real life is the ability to script perfection. Even with imperfect characters.

I did NOT see the "twist" coming, and I usually know at least that there's a setup coming even if I don't call the twist correctly.

Spoiler

The discussion of the clocks on the footbsll game was a good scene. Intelligent details and a good setup for later.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,936 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:45 PM

Newsroom is a must watch here. Never saw the sports night show. Not a sports fan, so it never interested me.

Spoiler

#11 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:18 AM

Don't need to be a sports fan to enjoy Sports Night, though I can't say from experience myself as I am a fan. 

Sometimes with The Newsroom, there's just too much dialogue! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

Don't need to be a sports fan to enjoy Sports Night, though I can't say from experience myself as I am a fan. 

Sometimes with The Newsroom, there's just too much dialogue! 

Sometimes I turn on CC just to try to keep up.

BTW, don't know about anyone else but I hate how they changed the opening theme music.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#13 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:34 AM

Yes, CC can help! But last night (I'm on catch-up) there was a long scene re the triangle or quadrangle of involvement and I was in bed falling asleep, and too lazy to turn it on. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#14 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 522 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

I love newsroom. This season has been great so far.

Sent from the other side of the Milky Way with my S4.

#15 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

Always CC, hate the new colder, corporatized theme, loved the old, stirring theme.

They did screw up one bit of continuity. Early on just after the CIA guy's interview Mac tells Evil Temp Prod guy (whatever his name is) "I want to look at the raw footage!" It is never referred to again. Then much later after the scandal breaks she says the exact same thing and immediately finds the edit. Oops.

Did Olivia Munn walk into the role of a lifetime or what?? She's going to become for Sorkin what Rebecca Pidgeon was for Mamet (minus the sex, probably).

Edited by Maruuk, 28 August 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,729 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

I assumed that she looked and didn't see anything wrong ... until she realized that there was a video hint that the footage was edited.

I'm curious as to why it was not an audio only edit. It was not like one could read his lips. But of course, there had to be some way of proving the bad guy was bad.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

To anybody oriented to video editing as Mac is, that chop edit in its raw form was the equivalent of an earthquake, massively obvious. And of course there would have been a shift seen on the guy, nobody holds perfectly still. It's one of those things they figured they could get away with given their laymen audience, not so vid pros. Not even close.

You'd never get away with an audio edit-only either. The lip flap wouldn't match. Pros can spot that a mile away.

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,729 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

I was hoping the audio of the game was going to be the tattle tale ... that is probably where I would have picked up the edit. But then I am more of an audiophile than a videophile.

#19 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

I love everything Sloan says. She is quite possibly my favorite character.

I was prepared not to like her, but only because I was a loyal G4 watcher before it was G4, back when it was a true tech network. Olivia was seemingly brought in as attractive "talent" because when men saw her they stopped changing the channel no matter what might have been coming out of her mouth, but to regular viewers she seemed to be more of an interloper.

I think it might have been her first actual non-local TV job. And they gave her ditsy things to say, which was all part of the astoundingly douche-chilling collapse of Tech TV which was like watching a three-train train wreck in super-slow motion. So I was preconditioned to not like her. Not her fault, and she has definitely won me over since then and since that inane sitcom she was in for about 6 eps a couple years ago, and proved here that she is a lot more than just unbelievably gorgeous, which she is. Part Vietnamese, IIRC. Whatever, it works.

And I agree, Sloan gets the best lines and is probably my favorite character, or at least the one I would like the most if I knew all of them in real life. Many of the other characters are just not all that likable.

Edited by TomCat, 28 August 2013 - 07:57 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#20 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

Sometimes I turn on CC just to try to keep up.

BTW, don't know about anyone else but I hate how they changed the opening theme music.

I was not aware there was a change, but OK. If one of the knocks against your show is that it is leftist and elitist and pretentious and that the characters are all full of themselves (which is hard to argue against), it seems like the absolute wrong move to have a super-pretentious theme introducing it. So yeah, thumbs down on that, and thank the lord for FFWD.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...