Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Newsroom

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:43 PM

To anybody oriented to video editing as Mac is, that chop edit in its raw form was the equivalent of an earthquake, massively obvious. And of course there would have been a shift seen on the guy, nobody holds perfectly still. It's one of those things they figured they could get away with given their laymen audience, not so vid pros. Not even close.

You'd never get away with an audio edit-only either. The lip flap wouldn't match. Pros can spot that a mile away.

As someone who once did non-linear editing for a living, installs and maintains NLEs, and is still around it daily, I'm afraid I have to disagree.

First, you can edit all the jump cuts you want into the footage, because they can be separated by B-roll (or a cut to a shot of the interviewer, although not in this case because the interview was not done by talent but by a producer, and that in itself is high-handed plot manipulation because virtually any interview of any weight is done by talent, so they cooked the books on the procedural part here just to create the opportunity to put the finger on Jerry--in real TV that does not happen).

And SPOILER ALERT, read this later if you have not seen "Red Team III".

Second, the interview was not an edited interview, it was a series of individual sound bites, meant to be dropped into the show one by one as the anchor referred to them, so there really is no editing for air per se, only editing for the production convenience of how these sound bites are rolled in to the broadcast. What Jerry did is edit the original footage itself out of context, specifically to hide the context, not from the viewers, but from the team. That is very different than editing for air, and he was able to do this without a jump-cut on air because the clip was an individual sound bite and could start or stop wherever.

Jerry also blurred the TV in the shot in editing, and while that was supposed to be because these things are blurred normally to protect airing rights, Jerry did that to fool the team and hopefully hide his underhandedness from them. What doesn't pass the smell test is that he was clever enough to perform the out of context edit on the clip sent to air by editing it out first in the original raw footage, yet was not clever enough to put the blur on the original raw footage, which made that a clue just waiting to be discovered. Blatant plot manipulation. It would actually have been clearer to the viewer (of The Newsroom, not of the fictional news broadcast) if "McMac" had been able to find the original footage with the original quote in its clear original context, and not missing the "If we used sarin...", precursor. That might have eliminated a lot of WTFs in HBO homes.

Maybe it is my closeness to this industry, but I could see this coming all the way down Broadway, especially because we all knew Genoa was going to blow up in their faces ahead of time just from the HBO promotion. The whole thing about the General loving B-Ball and him having the TV on and Jerry wanting the medals in the background so he had to have the live TV feed there seemed like a clumsy setup from the beginning. I just knew this was going to be the key to catching Jerry, but I had to wait through 3 more eps and an inane discussion about shot clocks before the other shoe finally dropped, and "McMac" finally allowed this elephant in the room to dawn on her.

They had 4 pieces of "evidence", 3 independent confirmations, another from Will, and 3 high-level long Red Team meetings agonizing over this yet the only one who ever saw the footage of Stomtonavitch was Jerry? A producer from out of town? Nobody from the core team went and looked at it? Cut me a break. That alone fits the definition of "institutional failure".

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

If he would have blurred the footage and changed the voice before showing it to the team it would not have been "raw footage". The team would have wanted to see the pre-blurred version (which they did see). They saw more than the final edited for air drop in clips.

All the questions that they should have asked before airing the story came up in this week's episode. It was a big "uh oh" moment for everyone involved. Everyone in the institution who each made a little mistake that added up to airing the story.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#23 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

I assumed that she looked and didn't see anything wrong ... until she realized that there was a video hint that the footage was edited.

I'm curious as to why it was not an audio only edit. It was not like one could read his lips. But of course, there had to be some way of proving the bad guy was bad.

What I thought was that MacKenzie didn't check the video early on because she couldn't even consider the idea that Dantana would do such a thing.

Edited by phrelin, 28 August 2013 - 10:57 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#24 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,876 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

Don't need to be a sports fan to enjoy Sports Night, though I can't say from experience myself as I am a fan.

Not being a sports fan, I assumed there would be too many unknown inside joke references relating to teams and players that I would not get.

Plus the whole scenario of a mock sports show that I never have watched in a real form.

It would have been like watching "The Larry Sanders Show" as a viewer who has never watched a late night talk show.

#25 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:00 AM

Yeah, I used to love to sit back and watch the whole glorious open with the original awesome theme music, but now it's so toned-down and bland I FF right past it. It just retains a hint of the original Thomas Newman theme. Almost apologetically. A real shame.

If you get a chance, check out Olivia on Letterman (YT), about her crashing on the inside the house swing and her fashion show experience. It's a complete riot, she's amazing!

#26 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,876 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:06 AM

As someone who once did non-linear editing for a living, installs and maintains NLEs, and is still around it daily, I'm afraid I have to disagree.

First, you can edit all the jump cuts you want into the footage, because they can be separated by B-roll (or a cut to a shot of the interviewer, although not in this case because the interview was not done by talent but by a producer, and that in itself is high-handed plot manipulation because virtually any interview of any weight is done by talent, so they cooked the books on the procedural part here just to create the opportunity to put the finger on Jerry--in real TV that does not happen).

And SPOILER ALERT, read this later if you have not seen "Red Team III".

Second, the interview was not an edited interview, it was a series of individual sound bites, meant to be dropped into the show one by one as the anchor referred to them, so there really is no editing for air per se, only editing for the production convenience of how these sound bites are rolled in to the broadcast. What Jerry did is edit the original footage itself out of context, specifically to hide the context, not from the viewers, but from the team. That is very different than editing for air, and he was able to do this without a jump-cut on air because the clip was an individual sound bite and could start or stop wherever.

Jerry also blurred the TV in the shot in editing, and while that was supposed to be because these things are blurred normally to protect airing rights, Jerry did that to fool the team and hopefully hide his underhandedness from them. What doesn't pass the smell test is that he was clever enough to perform the out of context edit on the clip sent to air by editing it out first in the original raw footage, yet was not clever enough to put the blur on the original raw footage, which made that a clue just waiting to be discovered. Blatant plot manipulation. It would actually have been clearer to the viewer (of The Newsroom, not of the fictional news broadcast) if "McMac" had been able to find the original footage with the original quote in its clear original context, and not missing the "If we used sarin...", precursor. That might have eliminated a lot of WTFs in HBO homes.

Maybe it is my closeness to this industry, but I could see this coming all the way down Broadway, especially because we all knew Genoa was going to blow up in their faces ahead of time just from the HBO promotion. The whole thing about the General loving B-Ball and him having the TV on and Jerry wanting the medals in the background so he had to have the live TV feed there seemed like a clumsy setup from the beginning. I just knew this was going to be the key to catching Jerry, but I had to wait through 3 more eps and an inane discussion about shot clocks before the other shoe finally dropped, and "McMac" finally allowed this elephant in the room to dawn on her.

They had 4 pieces of "evidence", 3 independent confirmations, another from Will, and 3 high-level long Red Team meetings agonizing over this yet the only one who ever saw the footage of Stomtonavitch was Jerry? A producer from out of town? Nobody from the core team went and looked at it? Cut me a break. That alone fits the definition of "institutional failure".

So to boil it down. The reason the CIA informant wanted the basketball game in the shot, was to be proof his testimony was not edited by the interviewer. Very smart.

#27 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:25 AM

When you analyze this show from an insider tech perspective, it tends to fall apart. But it's not designed for us, it's for the masses who know next to nothing.

#28 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:40 AM

Newsroom is a must watch here. Never saw the sports night show. Not a sports fan, so it never interested me.

You don't have to be a "newsie" to enjoy "The Newsroom" - I'm sure you see that.  It's just like that for "Sports Night".  It *happens* to be set in a cable sports channel like The Newsroom is set at ACN.  In Sports Night's first episode, they hooked me with a scene between the two anchors (one of them being Peter Krause who I couldn't get enough of in "Six Feet Under" and Josh Charles is the other) where Charles makes an impassioned speech to newly-divorce Krause about how bad his now-ex-wife treated him (Krause) with him never realizing it.  I thought it was really well done when I fist saw it in 1998.  When I re-watched that episode in 2006 right after my now-ex-wife moved out, it hit me like a ton of bricks as my best friend had made almost the exact same speech to me. 

It's *that* personal drama that made the show That Damn Good.

#29 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

Amazing how certain current events are paralleling this Newsroom plot.

I probably should have given Sports Night more of a chance. How many seasons did that run?

Edited by Maruuk, 29 August 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

Newsroom just renewed for a third season. Good for me! More Sloane, please!

#31 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,472 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

Amazing how certain current events are paralleling this Newsroom plot.

I probably should have given Sports Night more of a chance. How many seasons did that run?

45 eps or so, over two and a half seasons, more or less, mas o menos, practically speaking. 

What annoys me is that Netflix has just a DVD of it, while it'd be perfect for streaming. Guess I should check out Amazon VOD....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#32 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,697 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

Sports Night episodes are now running on FXX on channel 619. They're SD of course.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#33 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

Newsroom just renewed for a third season. Good for me! More Sloane, please!

Sort of surprised that it was, didn't think the rating were that good.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#34 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,472 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

Sports Night episodes are now running on FXX on channel 619. They're SD of course.

Thanks! 

I also found they are in fact streaming on Amazon VOD. Probably a toss up as to vid. quality.

#35 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:51 AM

45 eps or so, over two and a half seasons, more or less, mas o menos, practically speaking. 

What annoys me is that Netflix has just a DVD of it, while it'd be perfect for streaming. Guess I should check out Amazon VOD....

If you have Amazon Prime (and everybody should) you may be able to stream it free. Amazon streaming has a pretty good selection of TV shows.

#36 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:55 AM

Sort of surprised that it was, didn't think the rating were that good.

I don't think HBO is as ratings-driven as a broadcast net since they don't have to please advertisers. I mean, they ran two seasons of "John from Cincinnati" didn't they??

#37 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

I don't think HBO is as ratings-driven as a broadcast net since they don't have to please advertisers. I mean, they ran two seasons of "John from Cincinnati" didn't they??

I think ratings play a part of it. While they don't get ad $'s they need to have programming that will cause people to subscribe, or keep subscribing, to HBO so they make the $'s.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#38 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,472 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

If you have Amazon Prime (and everybody should) you may be able to stream it free. Amazon streaming has a pretty good selection of TV shows.

Yes, I do, and I did. PQ was absolute crap, but I am on a 2.8 Megs download. This was on a Sammy smart TV. Dunno if there's an automatic down-rezzing based on internet connection for TVs, but I didn't see a way to try to bump it up.

#39 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

I'm at 2.4 but Roku does an awesome job of getting me 4 dots strength, about the equivalent of an upconverted DVD. Which for 2.4 is quite good. It's watchable at least. I think the box is as important as the source.

#40 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

So to boil it down. The reason the CIA informant wanted the basketball game in the shot, was to be proof his testimony was not edited by the interviewer. Very smart.

I do not recall him requiring the TV to be in the shot, just for the TV to be on so that he would not miss his beloved playoff game. Of course that ended up making no sense because it was behind him with the sound turned off and he could not see it.

Jerry engineered the shot with the TV in  the background, supposedly because he wanted the medals as a backdrop. He did not want the TV but agreed to it to get the shot, knowing he could blur it out in post. Otherwise I would agree with your premise because Stomtonavitch was very smart, and very cagey. And played by the perfect smart, cagey actor. Great casting job. In fact, your very premise went through my mind during the setup for the interview; its just that the reality of what happened does not support that Stomtonavitch engineered that.

But of course it was Aaron Sorkin who engineered and manipulated the entire plot to give them a way to discover the edit. It's just sad that they did not figure out how to tell that story much more convincingly to a lay audience, because there was a large opportunity right there to get that right, yet they (writers/producers) did not.

It's ironic that possibly the best-written scripts of any show in any season also have so many plot holes in them. This is not Under the Dome and that is not expected, nor is it very easily tolerated.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

spam firewall