Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ethernet ports on H25-500

EoC ethernet network H25-500

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   seecoolguy

seecoolguy

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:55 AM

Hi guys, i'm new here, but I did do a search on both google and in the forums looking for an answer, I also looked through the manual but there is no clear answer.

I have a whole-home dvr setup with a HR34-700 and multiple H25-500s.  I currently have one of those wifi ethernet hookups into the H25 in my bedroom, but I have recently ran ethernet into my bedroom so I can add a switch for the appleTV and the DirecTv device.  But I was wondering since all the H25 devices are networked through coax, is it possible to have the H34's ethernet port used as a bridge to get ethernet access to the downstairs area?

for example

upstairs: H25 plugs into ethernet, then at the H34's ethernet plug that to a swtich and have additional ethernet devices hookup there?  or will the directv boxes block non-directv traffic?

thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

No, H25s do not have ethernet ports;

But before I go any further in answering your question, can you explain how you have an H25 receiver hooked up by WiFi?

NOTE: Or do you mean these are Genie minis like the C31 or C41? 

Edited by HoTat2, 27 August 2013 - 11:15 AM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,179 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

Or maybe a DIRECTV Wireless Boradband Internet Connection Kit?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,814 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

The HR34 can use the Ethernet wire to get to the internet thru your router. The H25s connected to it will then get internet thru the coax cables.

Any other devices should be connected to your router.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,282 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

Back to your original question: I have read of some having success with this, but it is wholly unsupported, and "you're on your own".

Please post your results!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

A better way of doing it would be this...

Use the Ethernet to the HR34 to connect your DirecTV receivers to your home network. Take the Wireless CCK that is currently connected behind the H25 and disconnect it from the coax cables. Use the Ethernet port on it to connect to a regular switch that you can plug in your other wired devices. That should work pretty well although you will be connecting wirelessly back to your router for these devices. You'll basically be using the Wireless CCK as a wireless extender for your network.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   tnflyboy

tnflyboy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

I am using the Genie to bridge the Ethernet out for use with PC's.  It works perfectly.

No bandwidth problems either.  I have whole home, also streaming Netflix (2 streams at times) and Hulu while playing online video game.

I test the throughput and the house network is not even hiccupping.  The bottle neck will almost always be your broadband.  Which surprising enough, my Uverse seems to be keeping up.

I was about to also upgrade my HR22's for the Genie Minis, but they don't have an Ethernet port.  I have Bluray players at each TV that connect to internet.  So I use the second port on the HR's for that connection.

Don't get scared off by guys mentioning it is unsupported.

Good luck.

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,179 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

I am using the Genie to bridge the Ethernet out for use with PC's. It works perfectly.
No bandwidth problems either. I have whole home, also streaming Netflix (2 streams at times) and Hulu while playing online video game.
I test the throughput and the house network is not even hiccupping. The bottle neck will almost always be your broadband. Which surprising enough, my Uverse seems to be keeping up.
I was about to also upgrade my HR22's for the Genie Minis, but they don't have an Ethernet port. I have Bluray players at each TV that connect to internet. So I use the second port on the HR's for that connection.
Don't get scared off by guys mentioning it is unsupported.
Good luck.

stating a fact isn't meant to scare someone off. If you have another way to do it you are better off. And if you had enough going on at one time you'd have issues with multiple pcs.

With that said its always to disconnect if an issue does pop up!

With all that said you should never use the second port on an hr to bridge the network. Just use a network switch between a deca and the receiver. The hr2x line does not have a hardware switch in it and requires its computing power. Sometimes an for a long time it may wok fret but eventually and sometimes it will have issues.

But he's got a genie which is completely different.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EoC, ethernet, network, H25-500

Protected By... spam firewall...And...