Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Apple TV update brings apps for Disney, the Smithsonian, Vevo and The Weather Channel

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,528 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

Apple TV update brings apps for Disney, the Smithsonian, Vevo and The Weather Channel

Rumors that Apple was about to expand the Apple TV's channel selection have just come true -- the company has quietly rolled out apps for the Disney Channel, Disney XD, the Smithsonian, Vevo and The Weather Channel. The new portals deliver the on-demand video you'd expect from their respective services. 

There are live components, however: Vevo fans get non-stop music videos through Vevo TV, while The Weather Channel jumps to live broadcasts during major storms. Any locally supported channels should appear the next time you use your Apple TV, although you'll need to be a qualifying cable or satellite subscriber to run the Disney apps.

apple-tv-vevo.jpg
Engadget

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:46 AM

In addition, the Netflix app is updated to include Profiles so different users under the same account can keep their lists separate. To do this you have to go to the Netflix website and set up Profiles for each person. When the Apple TV Netflix app is opened, you'll be asked to choose a profile. To switch profiles at other times, press the Menu button until presented with the Profiles list.

I also just found out you can move or disable apps.

To move an app - select it with the remote, hold down the middle button until the icons jiggle (sound familiar), then move the app with the directional arrows on the circle

To disable an app - open Settings->General->Parental Controls. From there you can enable/disable apps.

#3 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

I didn't know either of those things, thanks.  Where did you find that?

I'll be editing a bit today 'cause too many of those icons represent things that either require a subscription I'm not interested in, or only work if you have something besides Dish or Direct as providers, essentially making them less than worthless to me.  :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#4 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

This particular info was in an article on an app I use called ZITE. It's a magazine type app that congregates articles based on your preferences. The Apple TV update article mentoined those things.

#5 OFFLINE   shaka999

shaka999

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:25 AM

Too bad DirecTV users can't get the Disney owned channels (Disney and ESPN) using AppleTV.  As a customer I really don't care whose at fault I just want them to work things out so I can use the same features a cable customer can.

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,031 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:46 PM

Well why not a show time app too?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

spam firewall