Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SL3 Dish Consolidation in 5 Unit MDU

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jmorehouse

jmorehouse

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

Looking for a little guidance here. My neighbor and I each have SL3 dishes with SWM switches inside our units. We simply want to consolidate our dishes and use a single one (the one attached to the roof). We each have a homerun from outside the building into our unit from the dish and then it hits our switch. He has a DVR and two other H23/H24 receivers. I have a single H24 receiver. What hardware would I need to consolidate the two? I am thinking I need something that will allow two homeruns from a single SL3 wire and then we can keep using our switches inside our apartments.

Thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,120 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

I assume there is only one wire coming from each dish?  If so they are SWM LNBs and your "switches" are just splitters. That said you list a total of 5 tuners so no issue there, just put a 2 way splitter outside to feed your two units.  However, there is one thing to consider. If you have a problem with the dish whose problem is it?  That is why you see all the individual dishes on apartments

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   jmorehouse

jmorehouse

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

Interesting. Is that because the SL3 single wire LNB I had can support up to 8 connections? So I could use a standard splitter like the one here?

http://www.solidsign...rce=google_base

I was thinking I would need a new SL3 LNB with 4 outputs and a SWM8 switch (installed outside at home run site). Your suggestion would obviously be easier.

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,057 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

You will also have to deal with the issue of who controls the PI? 

And remember with such a setup you have little room for receiver upgrades what with sharing only 8 tuners between the two of you.

Also if your neighbor has WH service make sure he inserts a DECA band stop filter (BSF) somewhere in his run from the dish or you may be able to see and play the recordings in his DVR playlist on your H24.    

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

Interesting. Is that because the SL3 single wire LNB I had can support up to 8 connections? So I could use a standard splitter like the one here?

I was thinking I would need a new SL3 LNB with 4 outputs and a SWM8 switch (installed outside at home run site). Your suggestion would obviously be easier.

Yes, that would be the right splitter in your situation for first in line from the coax run from the dish.

Or the so called "root splitter."

#6 OFFLINE   jmorehouse

jmorehouse

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

So only 1 PI is required? That makes sense.

Fortunately we are good friends, I have no issue keeping the PI up and running (it is in my attack) and I can have him install the BSF pretty simply.

I get the limited upside, but I don't foresee us adding any future boxes, these are small apartments by the beach.

So it sounds like I verification that this setup will work. Is there a preferred splitter I should use? Or can I just run out to Lowes or Radio Shack and grab one that is used for satellite/cable?

I appreciate all the help, if this is indeed supposed to work, then we are good to go.

#7 OFFLINE   jmorehouse

jmorehouse

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

Not to abuse the help I have gotten so far, but if I stick one of these inline before the root splitter, will I be able to diplex the HOA local cable (brighthouse) and then put one of these after my swm switch in my unit and be able to watch cable directly on my tv and satellite via my H24?

http://www.weaknees....ultiswitch.html

Thanks!

#8 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,120 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

This is the correct splitter

So only 1 PI is required? That makes sense.

Fortunately we are good friends, I have no issue keeping the PI up and running (it is in my attack) and I can have him install the BSF pretty simply.

I get the limited upside, but I don't foresee us adding any future boxes, these are small apartments by the beach.

So it sounds like I verification that this setup will work. Is there a preferred splitter I should use? Or can I just run out to Lowes or Radio Shack and grab one that is used for satellite/cable?

I appreciate all the help, if this is indeed supposed to work, then we are good to go.

I would use the splitter you posted above, the ones from Lowes, etc are usually not the best

Also, dont forget that the line with PI must go on the power passing side.

Not to abuse the help I have gotten so far, but if I stick one of these inline before the root splitter, will I be able to diplex the HOA local cable (brighthouse) and then put one of these after my swm switch in my unit and be able to watch cable directly on my tv and satellite via my H24?

http://www.weaknees....ultiswitch.html

Thanks!

That could work for you but not your neighbor as with 3 receivers I would assume he has whole home.  I know they claim DirecTV approved but I have my doubts.  While diplexing on a non-Whole Home system is technically possible it is not recommended.

My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

... Is there a preferred splitter I should use? Or can I just run out to Lowes or Radio Shack and grab one that is used for satellite/cable?

Actually for the root splitter in your case, even the pre-DECA era non-green label type will do such as here;

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B004Z1CZ0S

Also, for the diplexer as LR said, though not recommended it should work. Just make sure its placed after the root splitter on the coax line for your receiver.

But I don't know about that particular brand of diplexer and wouldn't buy from Weaknees anyhow. They're too expensive (for me anyhow :) ).

The one frequently recommended around here is the NAS-9501 such as here;

http://www.solidsign...sing-(std-9501) 

You'll need two of them naturally ...   

#10 OFFLINE   jmorehouse

jmorehouse

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

Awesome stuff. Thanks so much. I will post updates once I install!

#11 OFFLINE   jmorehouse

jmorehouse

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

So I ended up doing this yesterday. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. Here is how it worked out.

Sat -> Splitter -> Diplexer -> Home Run to unit -> SWM Switch -> Diplexer -> My single box

-> Home Run to unit -> Neighbor SWM Switch -> PI -> Dual DVRs

I ended up needing to have him power the LNB as my PI would not provide power through the diplexer. I now have my HOA cable and DTV on my TV, which is nice as we have frequent storms here in Tampa. I still haven't put the line filter on his box, but will do it after we make sure this works right for a few days.

The total "upgrade" took 5 minutes. You guys rock. Thanks again!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...