Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Watch ESPN

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MEY54

MEY54

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

With Directv we are not eligible to get Watch ESPN . Only a few cable companies are listed. Any one think this will change ? Would be great if Directv would get a deal with ESPN and have an app.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,182 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

With Directv we are not eligible to get Watch ESPN . Only a few cable companies are listed. Any one think this will change ? Would be great if Directv would get a deal with ESPN and have an app.

ESPN/Disney refuses to negotiate the rights to their Watch apps seperately, we have to wait until the next renewal.

#3 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

ESPN/Disney refuses to negotiate the rights to their Watch apps seperately, we have to wait until the next renewal.

What's your source for this?

• John R. Metzger likes this

#4 ONLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

What's your source for this?

http://www.dbstalk.c...-app/?p=2929115

"Asked if ESPN, which has been including the service as a key facet of comprehensive distribution deals it has consummated over the past two years, was now pitching Watch ESPN separately, Bratches said no."

http://www.multichan...-over-next-year

Edited by mws192, 27 August 2013 - 07:25 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

I've been told that D*'s carriage agreement with ESPN expires in 2014.  However, I have never heard WHEN in 2014 the agreement expires.  Is it early 2014, the middle of 2014 or later?  If anyone knows the date in 2014 the carriage agreement expires and can share it, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks in advance!

#6 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

http://www.dbstalk.c...-app/?p=2929115

"Asked if ESPN, which has been including the service as a key facet of comprehensive distribution deals it has consummated over the past two years, was now pitching Watch ESPN separately, Bratches said no."

http://www.multichan...-over-next-year

Just left a message for Mr. Bratches to call me back on this very topic.  I just dont get it.  ESPN is getting their money from me and DirecTV already.  Why should they care how I watch what I have already paid for.  I guess in some ways, their product is a little more valuable since it is offered in an additional way but I can tell you that I don't feel that they should get anymore money from me for it.  Did HBO or Showtime charge DriecTV more when they added the app?  I guess those are a little different as they are not live streaming but come on, I paid to see it already.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-100 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR44-500 Owned. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#7 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

ESPN knows customers want this and are asking their TV providers for it.  You won't see it until the new contract is in place because this way ESPN/Disney can ask for more money per sub.  The only customers currently with the WatchESPN app are those companies that worked out new deals with Disney/ESPN.  It's not just WatchESPN you also have Goal Line/Buzzerbeater and in some areas they have included Longhorn network in their new deals.  Also remember that in the new deal in all likelihood The SEC Network will be included.  The cost for ESPN per sub will surely be going up quite a bit.

#8 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,182 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

Just left a message for Mr. Bratches to call me back on this very topic.  I just dont get it.  ESPN is getting their money from me and DirecTV already.  Why should they care how I watch what I have already paid for.  I guess in some ways, their product is a little more valuable since it is offered in an additional way but I can tell you that I don't feel that they should get anymore money from me for it.

You can blame the leagues for charging ESPN more to get the online and mobile rights to their content. Until they made a new deal with MLB about 2 years ago they had to blur the screen anytime MLB footage showed up on SportsCenter and they couldn't show any MLB games, due to the NFL's exclusive agreement with Verizon Wireless they cannot show Monday Night Football on mobile phones.

Did HBO or Showtime charge DriecTV more when they added the app?  I guess those are a little different as they are not live streaming but come on, I paid to see it already.

Considering that we didn't even get HBO Go or Shotwime Anytime until they struck a new deal, they probably did. Showtime Anytime also includes a live stream.

Edited by KyL416, 28 August 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

The programming on ESPN3 which is their online only channel, IS available to DirecTV customers IF you have one of their cable partners.  In my case I have Comcast Internet so I am able to use Watch ESPN for ESPN3 programming.

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

The programming on ESPN3 which is their online only channel, IS available to DirecTV customers IF you have one of their cable partners.  In my case I have Comcast Internet so I am able to use Watch ESPN for ESPN3 programming.

Aha! I have Comcast/Xfinity internet in my apt., but when I went to the website it asked for login and PW, if I remember right. I didn't followup at the time, and now I was able to see a bit of the tennis, and then found the Continue button, it does take me to a login and PW page. I have no idea what those are, as I set up the modem some time ago. I wonder if it has to be a Comcast supplied one?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#11 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 467 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

I thought the ESPN deal was being negotiated for renewal currently and expires Oct 1 2013. I could have sworn I had seen that on this and "The other" site.

Edited by ejbvt, 30 August 2013 - 01:56 PM.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#12 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,182 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

I thought the ESPN deal was being negotiated for renewal currently and expires Oct 1 2013. I could have sworn I had seen that on this and "The other" site.

It's Dish's contract that expires on 10/1, not DirecTV's

#13 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 467 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

Ok, thanks for the clarification. 

#14 OFFLINE   CincySaint

CincySaint

AllStar

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

That definitely does NOT work with Time Warner internet service.  You must subscribe to a TV programming package to get WatchESPN.   It really sucks since I am paying for ESPN via D* and I am paying for internet but since I don't the "right" providers, I cannot use WatchESPN.

#15 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

I don't think so.   It sure didn't work for me.   I have comcast internet AND I have comcast basic cable as a backup if/when my dish is blown into the water behind my house by a storm and the only ESPN channels that I can get online are those on the basic service I have on comcast, which means no ESPNU and maybe something else, but it is not based on what I get on DTV, which is everything.

Edited by Joe166, 01 September 2013 - 06:07 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   gag8828

gag8828

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts
  • Locationlong Island

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

Does anyone know if Directv will offer the college goal line channel. I get the watch espn on the Xbox 360. The rest of my house has cablevision so I'm able to watch it but with all these new Coll football station coming espn at least has the big games

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Gag8828

#17 OFFLINE   daniloni

daniloni

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

That definitely does NOT work with Time Warner internet service.  You must subscribe to a TV programming package to get WatchESPN.   It really sucks since I am paying for ESPN via D* and I am paying for internet but since I don't the "right" providers, I cannot use WatchESPN.

There's a difference between ESPN3 and WatchESPN.  It's a very confusing difference, since if you put espn3 into your browser, it will redirect you to watchespn.  However, even if you have DirecTV, if you have a participating Internet provider (i.e. Time Warner, Comcast) you should be able to watch ESPN3 content on your computer (but not on the WatchESPN apps on your tablet or cell phone).

#18 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 467 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:18 PM

If you have TWC Internet, neithe ESPN3 nor WatchESPN are viewable without a TWC TV service that contains at least one ESPN channel. Same for Brighthouse and U-Verse.

#19 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:30 AM

If you have TWC Internet, neithe ESPN3 nor WatchESPN are viewable without a TWC TV service that contains at least one ESPN channel. Same for Brighthouse and U-Verse.

I have uverse internet 24mbps and voice (phone) and I can watch ESPN3 without any problem on their site.

When I try clicking on the other ESPN streams thats when I get the invalid error user denied access.

Mas Ultra Package + NFL ST MAX (Go Bills) MLB Xtra innings (Go Yankees)
1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

#20 ONLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:53 AM

There's a difference between ESPN3 and WatchESPN. It's a very confusing difference, since if you put espn3 into your browser, it will redirect you to watchespn. However, even if you have DirecTV, if you have a participating Internet provider (i.e. Time Warner, Comcast) you should be able to watch ESPN3 content on your computer (but not on the WatchESPN apps on your tablet or cell phone).

Time Warner and by default BrightHouse are the only providers that require a tv package that includes ESPN for espn3 to work, even on a PC. For everyone else, access is controlled solely by your ISP.

http://www.dslreport...98?hilite=espn3

Edited by mws192, 02 September 2013 - 05:57 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...