Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Watch ESPN

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:22 AM

Time Warner and by default BrightHouse are the only providers that require a tv package that includes ESPN for espn3 to work, even on a PC. For everyone else, access is controlled solely by your ISP. http://www.dslreport...98?hilite=espn3

That's not accurate. Access to ESPN3 and WatchESPN is all based on your TV subscription and you need to have a participating TV provider. I have DirecTV, but use Comcast for Internet. I cannot access ESPN3 and WatchESPN as I do not subscribe to TV with a participating provider (DirecTV). My Internet subscription with Comcast does not count. If I subscribed to Comcast Cable, I could have access to them. My parents, who have Optimum (Cablevision), have access to it as they have a TV subscription that is eligible and Optimum is a participating provider.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   cfkane

cfkane

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

That's not accurate. Access to ESPN3 and WatchESPN is all based on your TV subscription and you need to have a participating TV provider. I have DirecTV, but use Comcast for Internet. I cannot access ESPN3 and WatchESPN as I do not subscribe to TV with a participating provider (DirecTV). My Internet subscription with Comcast does not count. If I subscribed to Comcast Cable, I could have access to them. My parents, who have Optimum (Cablevision), have access to it as they have a TV subscription that is eligible and Optimum is a participating provider. - Merg Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

I have DirecTv for TV and Verizon DSL for the net and I can access ESPN 3 content on my Apple TV and my iPad, but not the othe ESPN channels. I guess it depends on the wording of the contract with ESPN. Verizon DSL gets you ESPN3.

#23 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

I have DirecTv for TV and Verizon DSL for the net and I can access ESPN 3 content on my Apple TV and my iPad, but not the othe ESPN channels. I guess it depends on the wording of the contract with ESPN. Verizon DSL gets you ESPN3.

Correct. I know for certain that WatchESPN is not in the current agreement for DirecTV. I will admit that I don't watch/use ESPN3, so I don't know if that is viewable by DirecTV customers. It may be. Looking up info on ESPN3, it looks like that is specifically bundled with the ISP, while WatchESPN is linked to the carriage agreements with TV providers. I guess the confusing aspect is that if you go to the website for ESPN3, it takes you to WatchESPN and wants to use the WatchESPN app on the iPhone/iPad.

- Merg

#24 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

That's not accurate. Access to ESPN3 and WatchESPN is all based on your TV subscription and you need to have a participating TV provider. I have DirecTV, but use Comcast for Internet. I cannot access ESPN3 and WatchESPN as I do not subscribe to TV with a participating provider (DirecTV). My Internet subscription with Comcast does not count. If I subscribed to Comcast Cable, I could have access to them. My parents, who have Optimum (Cablevision), have access to it as they have a TV subscription that is eligible and Optimum is a participating provider. - Merg Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

That seems to be the way it works as I have seen it.    I travel often and try to watch sports on the road a lot and this is the way it seems to work.   In fact, I can only get the ESPN channels that are included in the basic cable service I have.   On ESPN3 they don't offer everything, only what they feel like offering.

#25 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

The Watch ESPN app on mobile devices, including the ipad, requires a tv subscription. Espn3 content on computers requires an agreement on your ISP or Tv Time Warner and BrightHouse were, at least historically, the only providers to sway from that. Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Edited by mws192, 02 September 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#26 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:13 AM

That's not accurate. Access to ESPN3 and WatchESPN is all based on your TV subscription and you need to have a participating TV provider. I have DirecTV, but use Comcast for Internet. I cannot access ESPN3 and WatchESPN as I do not subscribe to TV with a participating provider (DirecTV). My Internet subscription with Comcast does not count. If I subscribed to Comcast Cable, I could have access to them. My parents, who have Optimum (Cablevision), have access to it as they have a TV subscription that is eligible and Optimum is a participating provider.- MergSent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Have you tried on a computer or are you only referring to logging into the app on a mobile device?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#27 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

Have you tried on a computer or are you only referring to logging into the app on a mobile device?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Just tried via PC... While it redirects you to WatchESPN, you can select which ESPN channel you want to view. If I select ESPN3, I can watch programming and the viewer shows "Powered by Xfinity" (Comcast). If I select another channel, there is a key next to the shows that state that I need to verify my programming package has WatchESPN included in it.

So it appears that ESPN3 is specifically tied to ISPs and WatchESPN is tied to content providers (although ESPN3 is accessed via WatchESPN). Now that's not confusing. :)

- Merg

#28 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,847 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

We have Comcast internet service.

I just went to ESPN3 and it shows the NHRA Drag Racing Live on ESPN3. I click on it and it starts to play.

I am using a laptop computer.

http://espn.go.com/w..._/channel/espn3

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#29 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

We have Comcast internet service.
I just went to ESPN3 and it shows the NHRA Drag Racing Live on ESPN3. I click on it and it starts to play.
I am using a laptop computer.
http://espn.go.com/w..._/channel/espn3

Yup. That's what I just saw.

- Merg

#30 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,181 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

The Watch ESPN app on mobile devices, including the ipad, requires a tv subscription. Espn3 content on computers requires an agreement on your ISP or Tv Time Warner and BrightHouse were, at least historically, the only providers to sway from that. Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

correct, even with just road runner, i couldn't get espn3. once i subscriped to bhn cable, i got watch espn.

#31 OFFLINE   Linxs

Linxs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

Our ISP is AT&T and for the longest time I thought the iOS was useless since I couldn't even watch the ESPN3 content since Directv isn't on the list. Then afew weeks ago I stumbled upon that you can enter your AT&T login info on the AT&T U-Verse login to at least watch ESPN3. 

#32 OFFLINE   majikmarker

majikmarker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts
  • LocationArlington, WA

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

Just added the WatchESPN app to my iPad this weekend.

I only have Directv for TV service and I have Comcast for my internet service.  As far as I can tell, I have complete access to everything on there, can change channels (not sure about Goal Line), and I don't see anything that I cannot watch (currently watching live SVP and Russillo on ESPN3)

#33 OFFLINE   golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

I only have Directv for TV service and I have Comcast for my internet service.  As far as I can tell, I have complete access to everything on there, can change channels (not sure about Goal Line), and I don't see anything that I cannot watch (currently watching live SVP and Russillo on ESPN3)

I have the same setup as you. You can not access the ESPN family of channels but you can access ESPN3. Watching US Open tennis on ESPN3 as I type.

#34 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

Try watching ESPN or ESPN2 live streaming and let us know what happens. 

#35 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,847 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

OK, I now have an Ipad 2. I have Comcast for internet. I can log onto ESPN3 and play stuff right away when I am using my Laptop or Desk top computer.

When I try to do that with the Ipad it says I have to download the App. I did that. Next it wants me to choose a provider. Of course DirecTV is not in the list.

I thought that maybe I could choose comcast xfinity and put in my name and password there. Nope, it said I did not have a TV account for mobil ( or something similar ) .

Then I tried using my mother's account user name and password since she has Comcast TV. It still did not let me.

This might have been because I tapped the button to remember me when I tried my own Comcast account info.

I then went to the Settings on the Ipad and found Safari and cleared the History and the Cookies.

Again I launched the Watch ESPN App and logged in with my mother's user name and password. It did it this time.

Edited by jimmie57, 07 September 2013 - 01:22 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#36 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

OK, I now have an Ipad 2. I have Comcast for internet. I can log onto ESPN3 and play stuff right away when I am using my Laptop or Desk top computer.

When I try to do that with the Ipad it says I have to download the App. I did that. Next it wants me to choose a provider. Of course DirecTV is not in the list.

I thought that maybe I could choose comcast xfinity and put in my name and password there. Nope, it said I did not have a TV account for mobil ( or something similar ) .

Then I tried using my mother's account user name and password since she has Comcast TV. It still did not let me.

This might have been because I tapped the button to remember me when I tried my own Comcast account info.

I then went to the Settings on the Ipad and found Safari and cleared the History and the Cookies.

Again I launched the Watch ESPN App and logged in with my mother's user name and password. It did it this time.

Right, the apps require a TV subscription, even for ESPN 3. It's complicated.

WatchESPN on the web: ESPN3 ONLY requires a participating ISP (for example I am right now, as a DirecTV customer for video and Charter ISP only customer watching ESPN3) Anything other than ESPN3 on the WatchESPN website requires an account with a video provider, NOT an ISP. So, to watch ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/Goal Line, you need a Comcast/Charter/someone else other than DirecTV login tied to a *tv package* not just an ISP.

WatchESPN app on iPad/iPhone: You need a TV package account, even for ESPN3.

WatchESPN on TV devices such as AppleTV and Xbox 360: Same rules as the website. You can watch ESPN3 programming with only a participating ISP, no TV package login required. Anything on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/Goal Line requires a login through a cable provider.

#37 OFFLINE   majikmarker

majikmarker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts
  • LocationArlington, WA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

Try watching ESPN or ESPN2 live streaming and let us know what happens. 

Okay, I get it now.  

Like everyone else has already mentioned, ESPN3 is the only "channel" available on the WatchESPN app with a participating ISP but no participating TV provider.

#38 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

The programming on ESPN3 which is their online only channel, IS available to DirecTV customers IF you have one of their cable partners.  In my case I have Comcast Internet so I am able to use Watch ESPN for ESPN3 programming.

Yes, but not on the Watch ESPN app.  You can access it online in a browser, but not on your iPhone/iPad/or Apple TV.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#39 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

Yes, but not on the Watch ESPN app.  You can access it online in a browser, but not on your iPhone/iPad/or Apple TV.

lulz, the confusion continues. That is not entirely accurate. You can watch ESPN3 on an AppleTV or Xbox 360 with ISP-based access only, even though it's through the "WatchESPN" branded application on those two devices. However, you can NOT watch ESPN3 on an iPad/iPhone through the WatchESPN app with ISP-based access only.

#40 OFFLINE   majikmarker

majikmarker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts
  • LocationArlington, WA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

lulz, the confusion continues. That is not entirely accurate. You can watch ESPN3 on an AppleTV or Xbox 360 with ISP-based access only, even though it's through the "WatchESPN" branded application on those two devices. However, you can NOT watch ESPN3 on an iPad/iPhone through the WatchESPN app with ISP-based access only.

That doesn't describe what I'm seeing. Comcast ISP only, Directv for TV, have the WatchESPN app on my iPad and I can watch ESPN3 (only) on it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...